Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
This sounds like the K5n that should be announced in a few weeks. I also guess it will have a tilt screen like in the upcoming X5. It should be a nice evolutionary upgrade to the K5.

The aps-c 24mp pro-level camera is coming at CP+ at the end on January. It will be nice to have more than a two tier camera line-up.

Dave
I am not convinced an APS-C 'pro-level' camera is viable. Apart from maybe cutting edge predictive and continuous AF and 10fps the K-5 is pretty much already there.

08-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote

Given how the Fuji X-Pro1 performs compared to the K-5 it would be a step up in IQ and certainly better than the 24MP Sony sensor used in the Nikon D3200.
The question is would Fuji sell the sensor to Pentax? I would be surprised if it would given that it's Fuji's USP.
08-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Wouldn't the file size be huge?
Possibly....

But a 24mp wouldn't be to? I think with a low resolution, like 16mp AND 16 bit depth, the files should be much more flexible.

And if the said "lack" of a Low Pass filter would provide plenty of room for playing with those extras 2 bit.

Again i'm not a computer engineer, so i might be talking nonsense. I'm just throwing some wishes on air....
08-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I am not convinced an APS-C 'pro-level' camera is viable. Apart from maybe cutting edge predictive and continuous AF and 10fps the K-5 is pretty much already there.
How about high resolution sensors?

08-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
How about high resolution sensors?
Sure a high resolution APS-C sensor would help. I am just not convinced how much longer ultra-high end APS-C is viable. Two generations? Certainly no more not above ~£1000
08-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
My, I'd love a K-5 without LPF!
if it would give me those ugly blue-yellow moiré colours on architecture shots like the K-x did, I would hate my K5 without LPF
the K5 is perfect for me in this area...sharp and no moiré false-colour
08-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Sure a high resolution APS-C sensor would help. I am just not convinced how much longer ultra-high end APS-C is viable. Two generations? Certainly no more not above ~£1000
Two generations, that's at least four more years. Almost eternity in tech . And that price seems right, too .
08-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
You know what would be a good thing to have in a pro pentax dslr (aps or ff): 16 bit color depth files. Imagine how wide would be the DR on those images. With the previous expertise on the k5's shadow DR, a plus on the other side would be delightetfull....

Am i being silly ?
well huge files also slow down the camera in processing. So it would need big oimprovements on that area to (more then just prime m). Hi iso-files of 40 MB each are a little stressing.

08-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #24
Pentaxian

The question is would Fuji sell the sensor to Pentax? I would be surprised if it would given that it's Fuji's USP.
I gues that would depend on Fuji's assessment of the Pentax DSLRs, if they see the K-5/K-30/K-whatever as competition to the X-Pro1 then they probably won't.
But what other 16MP APS-C sensor are there apart from the one in the K-5/30/01 and the one in the X-Pro1?
08-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I gues that would depend on Fuji's assessment of the Pentax DSLRs, if they see the K-5/K-30/K-whatever as competition to the X-Pro1 then they probably won't.
But what other 16MP APS-C sensor are there apart from the one in the K-5/30/01 and the one in the X-Pro1?
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has produced what is essentially the same sensor with very small changes over the past two years. So there may be technically different iterations.

Pentax-Ricoh could I guess secure the Fuji sensor with some kind of IP licencing deal and not just with money.
08-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #26
Pentaxian

(...)
The one in Sony NEX-5R and NEX-6 with phase detection AF on sensor. Same technology (PDAF on sensor) is used by Canon in EOS-650D (for video and Liveview) and EOS-M and by Nikon in the Ones.
08-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

These are two of many things that a pro-level aps-c Pentax could have over the updated K5. Others things could be a better sensor, faster processor, larger buffer, dual memory slots, smaller and more AF points, spot AF option, and a hybrid optical/digital viewfinder. Just to name a few off the top of my head.

Still the new upgrade to the K5 might be a real good camera.

Dave
08-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Well when K-5n could go to 5 fps in AF-C and make a sure hit with focussing, that would make a huge difference.
08-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
The zoom is activated by the back wheel or the handle on the shutter button . This camera is for normal consumer, they will never buy a manual focus camera
Wrong thread?
08-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has produced what is essentially the same sensor with very small changes over the past two years. So there may be technically different iterations.

Pentax-Ricoh could I guess secure the Fuji sensor with some kind of IP licencing deal and not just with money.
Pentax could provide Fuji with lens designs :-)