Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
The suggestion I was responding to was to have the GPS device in an optional battery grip attached to the bottom of the camera. I can't see how the antenna for a GPS could possibly work when attached to the bottom of a metal DSLR case. The best location for the antenna is the top centre of the case - if the case is metal, locating the antenna anywhere else will result in skewed reception.
So the tiny GPS of my smartphone won't have any reception at all from the inside of my metal car then? Gee, then how is it driving me everywhere then?

It will have absolutely zero trouble locating your position from the inside of a batterygrip. Just like WIFI and Bluetooth won't have any problems operating from there.

08-31-2012, 12:27 AM   #122
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it seems to me Pentax will show EVIL with EVF, new MF camera, K-5's replacement with new 16 MP sensor, Pentax Q2.

As for camera lower K-30 and the camera higher than K-5 - hard to say.
08-31-2012, 01:17 AM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So the tiny GPS of my smartphone won't have any reception at all from the inside of my metal car then? Gee, then how is it driving me everywhere then?

It will have absolutely zero trouble locating your position from the inside of a batterygrip. Just like WIFI and Bluetooth won't have any problems operating from there.
It is a well known fact (and there is even research, both scientific and from "consumer-protection-groups"
to support it) that the more is put in a smartphone, the less it seems to perform in it's basic function, i.e. making calls.
I am one of the rare `Homo sapiens non-smartphonus` and I have a phone that I can drop, let get wet, be dusty, hardly takes pics, has a tiny screen and I can make calls where no man can make calls. I just does not break. And I can do without charging battery for days...

GPS in a phone is usefull because most of the time it is always on, therefore always in touch with GPS satelites... If you have GPS in your camera, you loose contact with the satelites everytime you switch your camera off, so it needs to lock on everytime you turn the camera on, which may take a while depending on where you are. Unless ofcourse there is a `GPS stand-by`mode which drains the batteries....

Just a camera bag with a map pouch and a map will do fine...
08-31-2012, 01:39 AM   #124
Veteran Member

So the tiny GPS of my smartphone won't have any reception at all from the inside of my metal car then? Gee, then how is it driving me everywhere then? It will have absolutely zero trouble locating your position from the inside of a battery grip. Just like WIFI and Bluetooth won't have any problems operating from there.
*facepalm* oh, I forgot about WiFi... it does function like GPS so it should work OK from inside the grip. though Bluetooth for some reason I find difficulty using when two devices are quite distant and with lots of walls around

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Unless ofcourse there is a `GPS stand-by`mode which drains the batteries....
and is also useless when there are no batteries in the compartment

08-31-2012, 01:58 AM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
it seems to me Pentax will show EVIL with EVF, new MF camera, K-5's replacement with new 16 MP sensor, Pentax Q2.

I'd say... Four new cameras at once for a brand as small as Pentax is highly unlikely. I won't say it can't be done, especially when backed up by Ricoh, but it's completely unheard of. Maybe they want to take the market by storm
08-31-2012, 02:06 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Maybe they'll introduce an affordable Mirrorless MF camera with EVF, that can mount 645 and K mount lenses, using a FF crop and a DA crop? (I can't find a clown-smiley.)
08-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #127
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I'd say... Four new cameras at once for a brand as small as Pentax is highly unlikely. I won't say it can't be done, especially when backed up by Ricoh, but it's completely unheard of. Maybe they want to take the market by storm
It's different segments of market.
MF, EVIL, P&S compact camera and DSLR

K-5, Q and 645D are not new models. Need to replace.

08-31-2012, 02:18 AM   #128
Pentaxian

I know that they are not new models, but when was the last time that so many models were replaced all at once? For that we'd need to go back to the 70's when the M-series was introduced. I think that has never happened again after that decade.
08-31-2012, 02:21 AM   #129
Veteran Member

For that we'd need to go back to the 70's when the M-series was introduced. I think that has never happened again after that decade.
Hopefully, now is the time and hopefully... things go for the better for Ricoh-Pentax
08-31-2012, 04:05 AM   #130
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I think I need to go on vacation from PF for 3 weeks. LOL
You might just visit PhotoKina on your holiday
08-31-2012, 04:08 AM   #131
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

That sounds a s a good job done then. Also 645Dii update. Some of these are maybe just updates to the previous model like Q2 and maybe K-5s.
08-31-2012, 04:20 AM   #132
Veteran Member

I have to agree with Olg that it seems likely that we will see those cameras announced at Photokina. I will guess these new models will be more a gradual evolutionary and not ground-breaking. The truly revolutionary stuff will be at CP+. Still going to be exciting few weeks.

Dave
08-31-2012, 04:31 AM   #133
Veteran Member

Well, such an announcement would make a lot of heads turn indeed. Which will make up for a lot of non-existent marketing of the last years. Who knows, maybe Pentax does intend to shout: "WE'RE BACK! And we mean business!" They could certainly use such positive publicity.
08-31-2012, 05:00 AM   #134
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, such an announcement would make a lot of heads turn indeed. Which will make up for a lot of non-existent marketing of the last years. Who knows, maybe Pentax does intend to shout: "WE'RE BACK! And we mean business!" They could certainly use such positive publicity.
I agree. And hopefully that will be the case.

But something tells me that this years Photokina may be relatively modest as the Pentax merger may take a little more time to kick into high gear. That being said, the recent discontinuation of the K-5 is a sure sign that something is coming. But whether it be as revolutionary as the K-5 or more along the lines of a maintenance release remains to be seen. - my guess is were going to see the latter:

A 24mp upgrade that will come close to but not quite the K-5 in terms of noise performance. - similar to what Nikon has done with the D800 against the D700. (price of added resolution). Aside from that, I'm venturing we'll see the K-3 receive focus peeking(which is very good btw), along with a host of performance improvements. And so I'm thinking something more along the lines of a maintenance update.

My only concern with the K-3 in the market segment it falls under is that Pentax doesn't skimp on the FPS and buffer. Which has always been a huge deal for me as I found myself using the K-5 on shoots. Specifically at events that benefited from continuous shooting. Where the K-5 lacked the necessary FPS control to benefit from longer continuous shooting cycles. - but that's just me.

Anyways, I could write forever about the features that could benefit the Pentax flagship camera for professional shooters but that's unlikely to affect anything now. At any rate, I do hope to see something new and exciting from Pentax this year and I certainly hope they succeed in taking the top spot as the best APS-C camera on the market .
08-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #135
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Please don't post insulting messages. There's a huge difference between satellite radio signals and bluetooth or wifi. The latter are designed to work over a very short range. The GPS circuit in your smartphone has a clear signal path through lots of windows in your car. It is also an assisted GPS which uses the phone cells to help it find its location. Bluetooth operates over a distance of a couple of metres and Wifi is designed to operate well within about ten metres. A GPS chip in a battery grip - if the antenna is located in the case attached to the bottom of the camera - would have very poor reception if it has a heavy duty metal DSLR camera on top of it. If you look at the compact cameras with GPS on the market, they generally have an antenna located on the top of the case. This is all conjecture anyway, but I'd be astonished if any camera manufacturer chose to put a GPS circuit into a battery grip. If a camera is going to have GPS, it's going to be built into the top of the body - unless it's an acessory the likes of which Pentax already have, that fits the hotshoe - on the top of the camera. I really don't appreciate your derogatory response.