Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So here it is... a more realistic prediction thread perhaps?

sooner or later the term Full Frame will come up lol

I do hope the SAFOX X+ will be more than just an incremental step up from the IXi+...

08-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps support for UHS 1 SD cards will come too. That would help relieve some of the stress caused by massive file sizes, as well as reduce buffer cleanup times. And maybe dual card slots with two buffers? So you could write RAW+JPG on seperate cards without the dreaded write times of Canikon's dual card systems. Oh, and it should offer Mirror lockup shooting rates at higher speeds. Like the Canon 1DX. Enough wishes there?

Edit: While we're at it, it should have 119 cross type at points, and seperate AF chips for Single, Servo and Live View. All optimized for their tasks.
08-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
Pentax could provide Fuji with lens designs :-)
Why would Fuji want them? they have designed some absolutely stellar Medium format lenses over the years so it's obvious they know what they are doing
08-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
and seperate AF chips for Single, Servo and Live View. All optimized for their tasks.
like the Old Minolta Maxxum system no way bad idea, you'd lose the damn things all the time

08-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
Possibly....

But a 24mp wouldn't be to?
No. Without compression, each bit is 2x as much information. So going from 14 to 16 would be 4x as much information.

I've heard that the sensor isn't really good enough for 14 bits, but I don't know how true that is.
08-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
These are two of many things that a pro-level aps-c Pentax could have over the updated K5. Others things could be a better sensor, faster processor, larger buffer, dual memory slots, smaller and more AF points, spot AF option, and a hybrid optical/digital viewfinder. Just to name a few off the top of my head.

Still the new upgrade to the K5 might be a real good camera.

Dave
No doubt.

But the line between a pro and non-pro camera, once you get to a certain specification, is more what you use it for rather than what it can do.
08-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Why would Fuji want them? they have designed some absolutely stellar Medium format lenses over the years so it's obvious they know what they are doing
I think Fuji is in a good place in terms of sensor tech, electronics, lens designs and all the standard digital camera elements. The only area I can think they might require, or desire, IP would be in DSLR specific technologies like phase detect AF systems, maybe optical stabilisation, and that kind of thing - hence why their DSLRs were re-badged Nikons (with their own sensors of course).

However given that Fuji have not shown an interest in DSLRs for years I don't believe that they'd be interested.

If we're just going to brainstorm I wonder if Ricoh-Pentax would allow Fuji to badge up a K-5 with their own sensor a la the Fuji S5-Pro etc. In some ways this may bring people into the K-mount and sell a few more limiteds. I actually don't think this is at all likely - maybe more so if Pentax hadn't recently been bought by Ricoh.

08-22-2012, 02:47 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Sounds awesome- if it is 16mp looks like it is really going for IQ+MPS, potential action camera inline with the Canon? Also leaves 24mp potentially open for THAT camera with simlar focus on IQ/DR and ergonomics rather than features. More rumours please!!!
08-22-2012, 02:51 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I think Fuji is in a good place in terms of sensor tech, electronics, lens designs and all the standard digital camera elements. The only area I can think they might require, or desire, IP would be in DSLR specific technologies like phase detect AF systems, maybe optical stabilisation, and that kind of thing - hence why their DSLRs were re-badged Nikons (with their own sensors of course).
Pentax' sensor-OS would fit a Fuji X-Pro2 quite well...
08-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
More rumours please!!!
There are plenty of them, go to any other thread that has "K-3" or "Full frame" in the title...
08-22-2012, 05:04 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben E Quote
There are plenty of them, go to any other thread that has "K-3" or "Full frame" in the title...
Some of them might actually be true.
08-22-2012, 05:07 AM   #42
Veteran Member

(Voice over speaker system) "The next rumour will begin in ten minutes. All those who have tickets please proceed to the waiting area and try not to trample anyone in the way"
08-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
Pentax' sensor-OS would fit a Fuji X-Pro2 quite well...

I think Fuji already use sensor based stabilisation don't they?
08-22-2012, 05:32 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
(Voice over speaker system) "The next rumour will begin in ten minutes. All those who have tickets please proceed to the waiting area and try not to trample anyone in the way"
What what what!? Did I miss it? Where do I get tickets?
08-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
No. Without compression, each bit is 2x as much information. So going from 14 to 16 would be 4x as much information.

I've heard that the sensor isn't really good enough for 14 bits, but I don't know how true that is.
Right, 2 times more possible integer values. but going from 14/bpc to 16/bpc is an increase by 2/14 or 1/7 or about 14%. That's the increase in the file size. However, my guess is that most scenes wouldn't have this much DR so with compression, the extra bits would add negligible size and value. But on scenes with that much DR, you would see at most a 14% increase in file size.

*I am a computer scientist...

Greg