Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
An extra cardslot in the battery grip, wouldn't that be more logical then?
There is room in the camera it would cost peanuts to include it why make it grip reliant. not everyone uses a grip all the time. (when i shoot events now since i do it mostly with a couple of primes and 2 bodies i generally leave the grip off but carry the spare battery for instance)

08-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
There is room in the camera
I don't know, is there? Going from the pictures of the cut in half K5, I was already very impressed with how much they were able to shoe-horn in that little body. From those pictures it seems like every nook is filled really. People only see the tiny slot, and think another one can be fit in anywhere, but it's a whole extra reader that has to be built in.

why make it grip reliant.
Because not everybody will want dual card slots.
08-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #63
Veteran Member

I think the reader assembly can be made with 2 slots without major change (look at other cams, when they went to 2 slots the actual card area didn't really change much. you are right though the K5 is pretty packed with stuff
I doubt the dual slot would affect the price a bit so if you don't need 2 slots just don't use the second. If it brings users to the model we all benefit whether we se the features or not. It would also be a distinguishing feature in it's bracket (at the moment who knows what the next 7d looks like or the D400)
08-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dual slots are a great idea. I've only forgotten a memory card in the computer a few times, but it was highly annoying. Sure it was my fault for not checking, but if the camera had two slots it wouldn't have been a problem.

08-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #65
Banned

All the fuss about a second cardslot. Buy big cards. I know it can be handy, but I don't see people using it for the majority of the camera buyers in this range.

On the other hand a grip with more futures then just a battery-holder could be very tempting. But also very expensive.

We had a thread about that options last year when that old (pentax) guy came up with a new product wich was just a plate in the end.
08-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
All the fuss about a second cardslot. Buy big cards. I know it can be handy, but I don't see people using it for the majority of the camera buyers in this range.

On the other hand a grip with more futures then just a battery-holder could be very tempting. But also very expensive.

We had a thread about that options last year when that old (pentax) guy came up with a new product wich was just a plate in the end.
I think actually it is a demand item at the higher end. Every FF camera now out has dual slots do they not? the issue with bigger cards is if they crap out it's more work lost without a backup. dual slots let you back it up. Sure it could be implemented via the grip (and maybe help justify the stupid price on the OEM grip).
It's a failsafe for your shots. I would have thought that would appeal to you Ron. Certainly i would think wedding guys would find it attractive as well. If they screw up they get sued
08-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #67
Banned

I think actually it is a demand item at the higher end. Every FF camera now out has dual slots do they not? the issue with bigger cards is if they crap out it's more work lost without a backup. dual slots let you back it up. Sure it could be implemented via the grip (and maybe help justify the stupid price on the OEM grip).
It's a failsafe for your shots. I would have thought that would appeal to you Ron. Certainly i would think wedding guys would find it attractive as well. If they screw up they get sued
Well how many people are actually using it?

For say having double saving or RAW to one and JPG two the second slot? I know a few sportsguys, but none of them use it to have all images twice. All the hassle isn't word the efford when you make 200k images in a year. Just to safe that one shot you might loose. Walking around with a second camera gives you way more extra's.

I used a 645D for 15 days and put the second cardslot to extra (or how it is called) that only being used when card one was full.

08-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #68
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The K5 is a prosumer level body and is used by some professionals. I have no doubt that adding a second card slot would increase professional interest in the K3 and anything that raises the profile of Pentax, especially among professionals, is good for all of us, IMO. Another factor is that the K30 has raised the bar for the mid-range, so the K3 really has to have some significantly upgraded features. A second card slot would certainly be one.

If implemented properly, a second slot doesn't just add capacity, it can also add speed and flexibility. With a single card files must be written sequentially. This can cause a significant slowdown when continuous shooting or even fast single shot shooting if you are saving both RAW and JPG. With a second card, files could be written to both cards in parallel or in alternating sequence. For example, RAW files could be written to one card while JPG was being written to the second, at the same time. Or when continuous shooting files could be written to whichever card was not busy, allowing for faster and smoother continuous shooting. Of course, this would require a dual processor implementation, as well, another major feature upgrade from the K30.
08-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #69
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Lupine Quote
The K5 is a prosumer level body and is used by some professionals. I have no doubt that adding a second card slot would increase professional interest in the K3 and anything that raises the profile of Pentax, especially among professionals, is good for all of us, IMO. Another factor is that the K30 has raised the bar for the mid-range, so the K3 really has to have some significantly upgraded features. A second card slot would certainly be one.

If implemented properly, a second slot doesn't just add capacity, it can also add speed and flexibility. With a single card files must be written sequentially. This can cause a significant slowdown when continuous shooting or even fast single shot shooting if you are saving both RAW and JPG. With a second card, files could be written to both cards in parallel or in alternating sequence. For example, RAW files could be written to one card while JPG was being written to the second, at the same time. Or when continuous shooting files could be written to whichever card was not busy, allowing for faster and smoother continuous shooting. Of course, this would require a dual processor implementation, as well, another major feature upgrade from the K30.
I hope for this, since the PRIME M (in my K-01) is nice, but isn't the fastest in the world yet.
08-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #70
Veteran Member

I think if they are moving to a 24mp sensor dual m processors with dual slots would help a lot. the extra processor power could also help with a more sophisticated AF system
08-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #72
Veteran Member

I think every thread actually ends this way so there's nothing to worry about.
08-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adding a second card slot isn't cost neutral but it's probably not massively expensive - you have to install all the extra electrical contacts for a second card etc. But there is no point in a camera that isn't firmly aimed at professionals.

You'd almost be better off designing a way for the camera to connect direct to a USB hard drive. This would appeal to consumers who are on holiday etc, allow pros and consumers to back up in the field etc. Whilst flash memory is cheap (relatively speaking compared with the recent past) it's still way more expensive per Gb than HDD.
08-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Adding a second card slot isn't cost neutral but it's probably not massively expensive - you have to install all the extra electrical contacts for a second card etc. But there is no point in a camera that isn't firmly aimed at professionals.

You'd almost be better off designing a way for the camera to connect direct to a USB hard drive. This would appeal to consumers who are on holiday etc, allow pros and consumers to back up in the field etc. Whilst flash memory is cheap (relatively speaking compared with the recent past) it's still way more expensive per Gb than HDD.
USB connection -- it's not 2007 anymore. Let's say WIFI, too.

Anyway, at 8FPS and ~20mb per file, even two SDHC cards will fill up way too quickly. Not to mention higher resolution.

What's really needed is an SDXC-slot (make that two). Sure, those cards are still a bit expensive and don't offer much advantage, yet. But the standard allows up to 2TB. That's plenty. The 32GB SDHC cap isn't great, especially not if you advertise weather sealing but have to break that sealing to change flash cards.
08-23-2012, 01:27 AM   #75
Pentaxian

While at it, pls add capacitive touchscreen and android OS, so that I can play Angry Birds while waiting for golden and blue hour.