Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
While at it, pls add capacitive touchscreen and android OS, so that I can play Angry Birds while waiting for golden and blue hour.
Touchscreen is alright, but only if you can still use hardware buttons to control it (gloves, dirt...).
Android, however... nah. That'll suck the batteries dry and increase boot-up time.

08-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #77
Banned

Photos: Gallery
USB 3.0 would be a great future. So we can just connect the camera to our pc and don't have the fuss with cards and cardreaders.
08-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
All the fuss about a second cardslot. Buy big cards. I know it can be handy, but I don't see people using it for the majority of the camera buyers in this range.
However, it would be nice if you could could select different uses for the separate slot, for instance one for images and one for videos, or if you shoot RAW+ (i.e. RAW+JPG) one card for RAW and one for the JPG.

Edit... hmm posted before I continued to read
08-23-2012, 03:44 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
USB connection -- it's not 2007 anymore. Let's say WIFI, too.

Anyway, at 8FPS and ~20mb per file, even two SDHC cards will fill up way too quickly. Not to mention higher resolution.

What's really needed is an SDXC-slot (make that two). Sure, those cards are still a bit expensive and don't offer much advantage, yet. But the standard allows up to 2TB. That's plenty. The 32GB SDHC cap isn't great, especially not if you advertise weather sealing but have to break that sealing to change flash cards.
Ideally you'd want:

SDXC (this is a given I would think anyway)
USB 3.0 direct HDD connect
Built in WiFi
Bluetooth 4.0
Built in FTP client for upload direct over WiFi (or 3/4G when connected to phone with Bluetooth)

This way Pentax could design an iOS and Android app that could display the live feed stream from the camera (infinitely articulating screen). Use WiFi for bandwith and video stream and bluetooth to transmit control of the camera. You could remotely control your camera with your phone. Genuinely useful for macro or tripod based work.

08-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Ideally you'd want:

SDXC (this is a given I would think anyway)
USB 3.0 direct HDD connect
Built in WiFi
Bluetooth 4.0
Built in FTP client for upload direct over WiFi (or 3/4G when connected to phone with Bluetooth)

This way Pentax could design an iOS and Android app that could display the live feed stream from the camera (infinitely articulating screen). Use WiFi for bandwith and video stream and bluetooth to transmit control of the camera. You could remotely control your camera with your phone. Genuinely useful for macro or tripod based work.
All will be great and give reasons to upgrade from the K5. Then add new and better sensor plus a hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder.

Dave
08-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Well, guys, you're talking about secondary, not directly related to photography things.

Give us true RAW histogram!
08-23-2012, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #82
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Adding a second card slot isn't cost neutral but it's probably not massively expensive - you have to install all the extra electrical contacts for a second card etc. But there is no point in a camera that isn't firmly aimed at professionals.

You'd almost be better off designing a way for the camera to connect direct to a USB hard drive. This would appeal to consumers who are on holiday etc, allow pros and consumers to back up in the field etc. Whilst flash memory is cheap (relatively speaking compared with the recent past) it's still way more expensive per Gb than HDD.
battery grip with a inner ssd drive (500mb/s) usb 3.0 connected

a 64gb 95mb/s write speed sd card is 160$ with about the same price one can buy a ocz ssd 240gb 550mb/s write speed

08-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #83

Internal SSD is a brilliant idea!
08-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #84
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by befocus Quote
battery grip with a inner ssd drive (500mb/s) usb 3.0 connected

a 64gb 95mb/s write speed sd card is 160$ with about the same price one can buy a ocz ssd 240gb 550mb/s write speed
I like this idea!
08-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Y'all don't understand SSDs beyond their transfer speed and the fact that they have no moving parts. They have a limited number of read/writes, and more importantly are very sensitive to power issues. Power spikes and power outages can TOAST them. On an internal part, that requires opening up your whole camera to replace, that is not a convenience.
08-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Y'all don't understand SSDs beyond their transfer speed and the fact that they have no moving parts. They have a limited number of read/writes, and more importantly are very sensitive to power issues. Power spikes and power outages can TOAST them. On an internal part, that requires opening up your whole camera to replace, that is not a convenience.
Agreed, at the moment SSD just isn't rugged enough for camera usage (if it was I'm sure it would already be integrated as an option on some of the high end Medium format backs where file size is enourmous to say the least
08-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #87
Pentaxian

+1. I had to send away my iMac (on warranty) because its internal SSD suddenly was a brick.
08-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #88

They have a limited number of read/writes
So do SD cards. Only fewer. The power thing could probably be regulated. If you put the SSD in the grip, it can be changed and should be under warranty. But if accounting for all that, we're looking at a $700 battery grip. How's that for aiming for pros? ;-)
08-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's much simpler just to add the additional slot in the camera. USB 3.0 is a great thought, though. If the camera had that, I wouldn't take the card out. Though certainly adding the wireless suite would be quite nice.
08-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
So do SD cards. Only fewer. The power thing could probably be regulated. If you put the SSD in the grip, it can be changed and should be under warranty. But if accounting for all that, we're looking at a $700 battery grip. How's that for aiming for pros? ;-)
Actually, I wouldn't want the HD in the grip, or anywhere on the camera for this matter. Ideally, if Pentax where to go down this path, they'd follow the tried and true method of allowing a USB HD attached via the USB port. Make the port locking and sealed, make the HD housing sealed, portable (hang it off of your belt), battery powered (TR Power Pack 3 or AAs), and most importantly, allow us to swap out the HD with any supportable device (SSD, disk) of any capacity needed.