Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The A77 also has built-in GPS, I hope the K-5 successor will have it also (though that would make the camera bigger..)

I also agree with the true RAW histogram idea.

08-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
The A77 also has built-in GPS, I hope the K-5 successor will have it also (though that would make the camera bigger..)

I also agree with the true RAW histogram idea.
Do you know how large GPS modules are these days? The antenna even more so.

They're ginormously small .
08-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Of course they're technically small. But in terms of engineering, every mm counts.
08-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Best bet is for them to call up a favor from Samsung. Get some info on better processors, and perhaps some help with making smaller, more space efficient batteries. That way, they can reduce space consumed by the battery, freeing up room for internal GPS, dual processors, dual card slots, and whatever else they deem to be a good idea.

But, as with all camera companies; who knows, maybe they'll invent a camera with built in extension tubes, just to confuse the heck out of us all.(Though, upon thinking about that, it wouldn't be all that complex, and would be a fun feature.)

08-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Of course they're technically small. But in terms of engineering, every mm counts.
They are power hogs, too.
08-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #96

shoot the build-in flash and the external (in the hot shoe) at same time. one for fill and the other for direct light
08-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nacho_tyr Quote
shoot the build-in flash and the external (in the hot shoe) at same time. one for fill and the other for direct light
The Metz 58 AF-1 and AF-2 have secondary reflectors/bulbs in the front to do that. I guess Pentax should make a successor to the AF540FGZ with one, instead of firing both popup and external at the same time.

08-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I am not convinced an APS-C 'pro-level' camera is viable. Apart from maybe cutting edge predictive and continuous AF and 10fps the K-5 is pretty much already there.
That would be enough for me to upgrade. A quicker processor would pretty much complete the package. The current sensor is more than adequate.
Save the gigapixels for a full-frame....
08-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
They are power hogs, too.
Yes but so is sensor stabilisation.
Solution: have an off-switch .
08-27-2012, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #100
Inactive Account

While a few more megapixels might be nice on the K-5 replacement, what I'd really like to see are some things that were on the Nikon D7100 that I really WISHED Pentax had done...

1. It had DUAL card slots... Great idea -- one card fills up and you're in the middle of an important shoot, you just switch to the other.
2. It (and many other Nikon cameras, and now some others, like the new FujiPro X-1) support Sandisk UHS-1 card speed. I paid through the nose for one of these cards with 45 MBPS write speed, only to discover my K-5 would come NOWHERE CLOSE to keeping up with it. I even emailed Pentax CS to ask about it, and if maybe that would be added in a firmware update. Both answers were... "Sorry. No."
3. The Live View on the K-5 is practically unuseable most of the time (at least for me). I'm not sure how that is for other camera brands. I'd either fix it or abandon it.
4. I really think a camera at this level should have a pop-out, articulating screen. Most of my much-less-expensive "megazoom" cameras had those, and I see them on A LOT of other DSLRs. They can come in really handy -- especially the ones that will actually swing around where you can see the screen from the front of the camera... GREAT for taking self-portraits!
5. I don't think ANYONE would mind if the K-5 (or successor) had more AF points. Currently, the ONLY way to make sure I get what I want in focus is to almost always keep the camera set to center-spot, focus and/or meter where I want the sharpest focus, then re-compose. From what I've read, almost ALL the most experienced photographers are doing likewise.

And oh yeah, for such a well-built, water-resistant camera, would it be too hard for Pentax to include a lens-changing button that will STAY ON??? I'm just 13 months into owning mine (just a month past warranty expiration), and the other morning I was shooting from inside my car (luckily, because that means the button is still SOMEWHERE in the car), went to swap lenses again, and the little black button you push down to change lenses was GONE! Luckily, I had a toothpick in the car, which I was able to insert into the little hole down inside where that button goes and use to swap lenses. That's the only way I've been able to change them since. I guess when I find that thing I'll need to "superglue" it back on. The camera wasn't receiving any rough treatment, either. I was driving around a local state park, shooting out my car window; not going more than 15 mph, or so. I see no excuse for that.

Otherwise, I still think the K-5 is a great camera. But a few tweaks certainly couldn't hurt. My sole concern about them coming out with a "replacement" that's still 16 MP is that while most of US know that's plenty (Nikon's TOP pro camera is 16 MP), "Joe Public" will see all these OTHER new cameras that are 22 ~ 24 MP and think Pentax just "isn't keeping up," etc. Frankly, since I'm not usually shooting all pics as RAW + JPEG, each photo is running me close to 35 MB, sometimes more than that, so I'm really not so HOT on more MP, so long as what we get from 16 MP is quality stuff, and the K-5 delivers that.
Jeff Hayes
08-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffAHayes Quote
3. The Live View on the K-5 is practically unuseable most of the time (at least for me). I'm not sure how that is for other camera brands. I'd either fix it or abandon it.
What's the problem here? I don't use LV that often, but when I do, it works fine (given the inherent limitations in Live View with a swingin' mirror DSLR). I'd love to see a shorter shutter delay, but I understand why that's difficult.

It sure is an upgrade over LV on the K20D.
08-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #102
Veteran Member

4. I really think a camera at this level should have a pop-out, articulating screen.
hmm....
08-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #103
bxf
Veteran Member

4. I really think a camera at this level should have a pop-out, articulating screen. Most of my much-less-expensive "megazoom" cameras had those, and I see them on A LOT of other DSLRs. They can come in really handy -- especially the ones that will actually swing around where you can see the screen from the front of the camera... GREAT for taking self-portraits!
Jeff Hayes
Not denying that an articulating screen would be useful at times, but your statement "at this level", and then comparing it to megazooms is an insult to the K-5. Just at what level do you see the K-5? Are there any serious DSLRs with this feature? Also, judging by some of the quality work displayed here, my guess is that people who concentrate on self-portraits is not the K-5's intended market. Just saying.
08-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Well, an articulated screen that doesn't compromise the WR-Sealing and the overall ruggedness will probably add quite a bit to production cost. I'd like one to shoot from the waist but I don't think it's a big deal.
It would be a good idea to compete with a possible Canon 70D, though.
Frankly, I'd rather like to see Pentax make a K-300 with an articulating screen and without WR at as low a price as they can manage. The people taking self-portraits that way aren't really the target group for a K-5 successor anyway...

Otherwise, I still think the K-5 is a great camera. But a few tweaks certainly couldn't hurt. My sole concern about them coming out with a "replacement" that's still 16 MP is that while most of US know that's plenty (Nikon's TOP pro camera is 16 MP), "Joe Public" will see all these OTHER new cameras that are 22 ~ 24 MP and think Pentax just "isn't keeping up," etc. Frankly, since I'm not usually shooting all pics as RAW + JPEG, each photo is running me close to 35 MB, sometimes more than that, so I'm really not so HOT on more MP, so long as what we get from 16 MP is quality stuff, and the K-5 delivers that.
Well, Pentax needs something for US to distinguish the K-3(?) from the K-30 and the K-5 and something for "Joe Public" too. If they manage to greatly improve AF (more f***ing AF-points!), ISO-performance similar to the K-5/K-30 would probably be enough for US (except K-5 owners, maybe). I have no idea how much they could get out of the 24Mp Sony sensor.
If they stay with 16MP (the Fuji sensor?), they are going to need something to distinguish it from the K-30 in "Joe Public's" view. An articulated screen and good video features (to compete with Canon) might do the trick.

I'd prefer they'd use the 16MP Fuji sensor, add an articulated screen for Joe and market the shit out of WR.
UHS-I is probably a given and I hope, they'll sprinkle on as many "pro"-features (i.e. dual card slots) as they can fit.

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Not denying that an articulating screen would be useful at times, but your statement "at this level", and then comparing it to megazooms is an insult to the K-5. Just at what level do you see the K-5? Are there any serious DSLRs with this feature? Also, judging by some of the quality work displayed here, my guess is that people who concentrate on self-portraits is not the K-5's intended market. Just saying.
Depends, whether Pentax is looking at the 70D/D7100-successors or at the 7DmkII/D400 as their main competition.
08-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure the drop which cracked my LCD screen protector would have torn an articulating screen clean off my K-5. I'll take rugged over convenient. Not to say I don't appreciate the handiness when playing with my Dad's Sony. He doesn't have to get down on his belly to get a low shot...