Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
Well, an articulated screen that doesn't compromise the WR-Sealing and the overall ruggedness will probably add quite a bit to production cost. I'd like one to shoot from the waist but I don't think it's a big deal.
It would be a good idea to compete with a possible Canon 70D, though.
Frankly, I'd rather like to see Pentax make a K-300 with an articulating screen and without WR at as low a price as they can manage. The people taking self-portraits that way aren't really the target group for a K-5 successor anyway...

Well, Pentax needs something for US to distinguish the K-3(?) from the K-30 and the K-5 and something for "Joe Public" too. If they manage to greatly improve AF (more f***ing AF-points!), ISO-performance similar to the K-5/K-30 would probably be enough for US (except K-5 owners, maybe). I have no idea how much they could get out of the 24Mp Sony sensor.
If they stay with 16MP (the Fuji sensor?), they are going to need something to distinguish it from the K-30 in "Joe Public's" view. An articulated screen and good video features (to compete with Canon) might do the trick.

I'd prefer they'd use the 16MP Fuji sensor, add an articulated screen for Joe and market the shit out of WR.
UHS-I is probably a given and I hope, they'll sprinkle on as many "pro"-features (i.e. dual card slots) as they can fit.

Depends, whether Pentax is looking at the 70D/D7100-successors or at the 7DmkII/D400 as their main competition.
I am guessing the K-5 replacement will be aimed at the 70D/D7100 market level. Then at CP+ we will get a pro-level aps-c camera aimed at the 7DmkII/D400.

Dave

08-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd rather a three APS-C + 1 FF lineup... low-mid-high for the former, K-300/K-30/K-5 so as to prevent confusion between the categories (e.g. 60D + 7D in Canon's lineup... not sure why they have to split it into two), then 1 FF to complement/bridge APS-C and the 645 format.

I'm not sure if Pentax can handle that though, what with the Q and K-01 also in production.
08-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leonsroar Quote
Here are quotes from the other forum in Japan posted by an anonymous who is naming himself a sales rep of Pentax.
Even though he has never leaked anything clear but only abstract info, it’s been always turned out true once new models were launched in the past.

1a. Miniaturization of interconnection process
1b. Larger microlens for the vaster area available for light capture.
2. They took long time to tweak a newly-designed 16MP imager without LPF
3. They spent a lot of time to tweak SAFOX X
Looks like the 16MP figure is consistent with the thread here: K5 replacement
08-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #109
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
They are power hogs, too.
Add the GPS module as part of the battery grip perhaps?

08-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eastman Quote
Add the GPS module as part of the battery grip perhaps?
I'd like it there too instead of the body. But that would make it a DBG-5... (I hope still compatible with the K-5 though, )
08-28-2012, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #111
Veteran Member

Forget GPS, swivel screens, soft-serv ice cream dispensers:

just give us UN-CRIPPLED K-Mount!!

Nikon did with the D7000 (well, not un-crippled k-mount, but gave back Ai manual aperture control on the body), and that's the kind of thing that elevates a camera to "pro" specs in my eyes.
08-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #112
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I'd like it there too instead of the body. But that would make it a DBG-5... (I hope still compatible with the K-5 though, )
A GPS unit would need to be on the top of the body to work effectively. If it could be disabled in the settings, the power issue would be resolved.

08-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #113
fuf
Forum Member

I would really like to have:
1) a BIG viewfinder so there would be no need for O-ME53
2) a number of indicators (for MF) to show how much left/right you need to turn the focusing barel to get accurate focus. e.g. --+o--- would indicate I need to turn the barel right only slightly.
3) be able to get the above with any of the focusing points

Last edited by fuf; 08-30-2012 at 02:38 AM.
08-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Well, guys, you're talking about secondary, not directly related to photography things.

Give us true RAW histogram!
My name is JohnBee and I endorse this message.
08-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
A GPS unit would need to be on the top of the body to work effectively. If it could be disabled in the settings, the power issue would be resolved.
I'm not an expert with GPS devices but, does this make the Sony A77's built-in GPS ineffective? It's on the left-hand side of the body...
08-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Help! (Runs and hides and prays for PK to arrive like NOW!)

I just can't handle all these threads and the endless speculation anymore. To make it really interesting perhaps we should start taking bets with every post. That way people will STFU unless they're prepared to put their money where their mouth is.

I think I need to go on vacation from PF for 3 weeks. LOL

Last edited by bossa; 08-30-2012 at 07:24 PM.
08-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #117
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I'm not an expert with GPS devices but, does this make the Sony A77's built-in GPS ineffective? It's on the left-hand side of the body...
The suggestion I was responding to was to have the GPS device in an optional battery grip attached to the bottom of the camera. I can't see how the antenna for a GPS could possibly work when attached to the bottom of a metal DSLR case. The best location for the antenna is the top centre of the case - if the case is metal, locating the antenna anywhere else will result in skewed reception. If the antenna was in a battery grip attached to the bottom of the camera, reception would be poor, and you'd have to have extra connectors between the grip and the camera for the data connection to the GPS component. The antenna could presumably be in the side grip part, but it would just make more sense to put the GPS in the body of the camera to avoid these issues.
08-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffAHayes Quote
5. I don't think ANYONE would mind if the K-5 (or successor) had more AF points. Currently, the ONLY way to make sure I get what I want in focus is to almost always keep the camera set to center-spot, focus and/or meter where I want the sharpest focus, then re-compose. From what I've read, almost ALL the most experienced photographers are doing likewise.
thats the only way to do it in my opinion... I could care less for more AF points. Easier to meter/focus on what I want if its all on spot!
08-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
just give us UN-CRIPPLED K-Mount!!
+1 Yes please!
08-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
The suggestion I was responding to was to have the GPS device in an optional battery grip attached to the bottom of the camera. I can't see how the antenna for a GPS could possibly work when attached to the bottom of a metal DSLR case. The best location for the antenna is the top centre of the case - if the case is metal, locating the antenna anywhere else will result in skewed reception. If the antenna was in a battery grip attached to the bottom of the camera, reception would be poor, and you'd have to have extra connectors between the grip and the camera for the data connection to the GPS component. The antenna could presumably be in the side grip part, but it would just make more sense to put the GPS in the body of the camera to avoid these issues.

Ah, good point there. I was also thinking about the antenna on the left-hand grip since the left hand will probably be covering that area anyway... but at least the hand is not metal.