Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The good new is that Pentax have a camera with a swivel screen.
I hope to see one of them on the K5 replacement.

08-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
That's a very big body for a very small sensor
Well, we would have to see it next to an object of reference. Its probably much smaller than the K-30 (or at least should be)
08-21-2012, 05:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
That's a very big body for a very small sensor
I have a funny feeling if it is true, it's going to have the Q's sensor in it or surprisingly a 1" (going by the 4-104 focal length)
08-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax is doubling down on the Q (as well they should). A near "Q" with an AF K-mount and this range of normal lens is going to be awesome.

It is the perfect time to make people take another look (beyond their prejudices) at the original Q model (now selling for $399) and then this one.
The small sensor gives you all kinds of advantages with its extremely high DOF, especially for macro. If this is a Q with an autofocus K-mount then Pentax is going to sell a million DFA 100mm Macros to go with it.
On a Q sensor that gives you the whole bug in focus (not merely a slice) and at the other end it gives you a 560mm super telephoto (all in one lens).

The thing they are going to have going against them is all the people who still don't "get" the Q. This guy certainly gets it.

This camera is using a slightly larger Sony Exmor-R than the Q has...1/2.8"
Think iPhone's sensor only much larger.

08-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #20
Banned

Looks pretty much like a K-5 so interested how that functions.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 08-21-2012 at 05:54 AM.
08-21-2012, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a Super Q that takes DA & DFA and FA lenses.
This is going to be HUGE, but Pentax will still take a bashing for people who don't understand the advantages of the smaller sensor.

This is going to be a macro to birder's dream camera (and with the zoom, everything in between).

This is like the putting the iPhone quality sensor (only BIGGER) into a body that can take DA, DFA, and FA lenses. It's BRILLIANT.

All of Pentax's R&D on the Q is what got them here, haters. They have just discovered a sensor/lens sweet spot that no other camera manufacturer is even at yet. They have the territory all to themselves.
No, this is not going to appeal to all the PRO-wannabes that are craving a FF camera, but this one is going to be a true hit with the unwashed masses and anybody else with Pentax glass.

In fact, people who buy the Pentax Full Frame, whenever it ships are going to ALSO have one of these in their bag for the advantages it gives them in macro and super telephoto with their existing lenses.
Think of the X-5 body as the ultimate 4x teleconverter for every lens in your bag. The more I think about it, the prouder I am of Pentax and their engineering team.
Now, let's watch their marketing department screw it up, like they did with the Q.

Last edited by cheekygeek; 08-21-2012 at 06:06 AM.
08-21-2012, 06:03 AM   #22
Pentaxian

let's hope it has a 1/1.7" sensor

08-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
This camera is using a slightly larger Sony Exmor-R than the Q has...1/2.8"
Think iPhone's sensor only much larger.
The Q sensor is 1/2.3. A 1/2.8 sensor is smaller than 1/2.3 (it's a fraction).
08-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Wait, some people here are talking about this rumored X-5 as if it has interchangeable lenses... I don't think it does. Its not a K-mount, its not any mount, it just has one fixed lens. Hopefully its sensor is slightly bigger than the Q's and the next gen of Q will also feature this sensor
08-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
It is a Super Q that takes DA & DFA and FA lenses.
What?? How so?
08-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #26
ogl
Banned

Canon PowerShot SX500 IS Camera - Preview

Pentax just keeps mainstream...Don't be in panic...Please.

Pentax has 4 at wide-angle, Canon SX500 - 4.3.
08-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Wait, some people here are talking about this rumored X-5 as if it has interchangeable lenses... I don't think it does. Its not a K-mount, its not any mount, it just has one fixed lens. Hopefully its sensor is slightly bigger than the Q's and the next gen of Q will also feature this sensor
Yes, and I'm one of them. Pentax is in the business of selling lenses. This is the razor that is going to sell a lot of razor blades. The 16-400mm super zoom will make the unwashed masses very happy but for more "serious" Pentax shooter it will be like having the ultimate 4x teleconverter for all their Good Glass, taking the middle sweet spot and quadrupling the effective focal length and FOV.

If you notice, no front dial. This is not your K-5 upgrade, but it bodes well for a reticulating screen on that model which will probably also leak soon.
08-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Hmm, I like the K-5-inspired design better than previous X series designs.

Also notice that the lens says "SMC", I don't think the X70 and X90 had SMC lenses. It looks like they may have put a few more Pentax "genes" into this camera than into the previous me-too X series cameras, that were virtually identical to models from several competitors.
08-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The more I think about it, if this is a k-mount it may have a shorter flange to sensor distance. If so then it would need a Pentax made adapter to use normal kaf lenses. That would be easier to engineer than the one they still haven't delivered for the Q and would also preserve all lens functions including AF.

The question is: did they engineer the 4-105mm with PK flange distance?
08-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Hmm, I like the K-5-inspired design better than previous X series designs.

Also notice that the lens says "SMC", I don't think the X70 and X90 had SMC lenses. It looks like they may have put a few more Pentax "genes" into this camera than into the previous me-too X series cameras, that were virtually identical to models from several competitors.
Indeed they do not.