Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Weird. Isn't bridge cameras a shrinking market?

08-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Actually I was thinking of that too... but it seems the Panasonic FZxxx series are selling well enough to warrant successors..
08-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't read all the posts, so maybe this idea was already posted. With this bridge camera, Pentax is able to test out a design for the articulating screen, and use this as a sample manufacturing batch, in terms of getting the bugs out - if they are considering including an articulating screen on the dSLR line of bodies. It would make sense...

08-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #94

really looking forward to FF. K-3 in Sep.?

08-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #95
Site Supporter

To all the wild speculators, this is a regular bridge camera. No interchangeable lens, just another 26x superzoom. You can see the "T" surrounding the shutter release button (as in Telephoto vs. Wide), just like the power zoom on the X90 and all the other superzooms out there. This is a small sensor camera too -- it has to be to accommodate the zoom range. Just compare with your own X90. Oh wait, I might be the only person who actually has one.

Yes, having a power zoom kinda pretty much sucks compared to manual zoom, but that's par for this sort of camera.

But the real problem with the X90 is the noise a higher ISO settings. The X90 uses a 1/2.33" sensor, same as the Q. If they manage to put a backlit sensor in this like the Q (and they have no reason not too), then this will improve the bridge offering considerably.

Also, to be competitive with the Nikon P510 or whatever, this needs to have good video capability and built-in stereo mic. Based on other recent offerings, it seems that Pentax has finally figured out how to do that.

I also thought this was a declining market but that doesn't seem to have stopped the other manufacturers. I was kinda surprised when they just stopped the X90 without a successor, but what do I know. Personally I can see a need for more versatile cameras that can do both stills and real video. Today, I am still carrying both my Sony videocam and K-5 if I expect to do both.
08-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yulexib Quote
really looking forward to FF. K-3 in Sep.?
Nice first post there buddy. lol
08-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
What sounds 'fake' to you sounds 'marketing' to me...
Well, stop, you got it... you wrote.. 'marketing' ?

That's it. Pentax + marketing = ... fake ? Months ago many people would have agreed.
Now, again, if it was true, I would be happy if anything

Still, the X-5 vs K-5 sound a bit like a scam but well...

Seriously, Pentax never put more than a dollar in both bridge they got out before (X70 and X90) and no they pull this?
Wow, if so, Ricoh definitely moves forward (I'm NOT sarcastic here).
08-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I haven't read all the posts, so maybe this idea was already posted. With this bridge camera, Pentax is able to test out a design for the articulating screen, and use this as a sample manufacturing batch, in terms of getting the bugs out - if they are considering including an articulating screen on the dSLR line of bodies. It would make sense...

If you had said that two years ago, I'd have agreed.

Oh and, btw -- this thing does have an EVF.

08-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #99
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
To all the wild speculators, this is a regular bridge camera. No interchangeable lens, just another 26x superzoom. You can see the "T" surrounding the shutter release button (as in Telephoto vs. Wide), just like the power zoom on the X90 and all the other superzooms out there. This is a small sensor camera too -- it has to be to accommodate the zoom range. Just compare with your own X90. Oh wait, I might be the only person who actually has one.

Yes, having a power zoom kinda pretty much sucks compared to manual zoom, but that's par for this sort of camera.

But the real problem with the X90 is the noise a higher ISO settings. The X90 uses a 1/2.33" sensor, same as the Q. If they manage to put a backlit sensor in this like the Q (and they have no reason not too), then this will improve the bridge offering considerably.

Also, to be competitive with the Nikon P510 or whatever, this needs to have good video capability and built-in stereo mic. Based on other recent offerings, it seems that Pentax has finally figured out how to do that.

I also thought this was a declining market but that doesn't seem to have stopped the other manufacturers. I was kinda surprised when they just stopped the X90 without a successor, but what do I know. Personally I can see a need for more versatile cameras that can do both stills and real video. Today, I am still carrying both my Sony videocam and K-5 if I expect to do both.
I agree with you on the whole.
The grip on the zoom could be indicating a manual zoom.
The focal range would also start at equ. 22mm, which would be an excellent thing if distorsion is seriously corrected.
And i hope this bridge would be WR + having RAW format as well.
This could make the difference on the market, in this segment.
08-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Actually I was thinking of that too... but it seems the Panasonic FZxxx series are selling well enough to warrant successors..
I've seen so many bridge cameras around the neck of tourists the last few days that I would think that even if it's shrinking, it's still quite large.
08-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #101
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Why this is a fake to me (and somehow I'd like to be proven wrong):
* A cut and paste general design from a DSLR applied to a P&S
* the use of a X-5 which seems a lot like tricking customer into thinking they buy a K-5
* The lens which doesn't look aligned properly to me looking at the flash bump
* The flash bump reminiscent of a pentamirror/pentaprism when NO need at all (but lose space)
* and IMO lighting is stranfe (but that may due to 3D rendering....)

And going on...

Doubtful move IMO if true. K-01 was wiser to me (laugh if you want).
Probably for the electric viewfinder, those things also nee space.

I think this is a nice design for fake dslr users. Like your average fake gun for a hit-and-run store robbery.
08-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I don't know, but my feeling is that bridge, serious P&S and rugget camera's are the three types that have a future. Where your average 3-5x zoom P&S has no future due to the better getting iPhones.
08-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Probably for the electric viewfinder, those things also nee space.

I think this is a nice design for fake dslr users. Like your average fake gun for a hit-and-run store robbery.
So, for the average hit-and-run wedding or "artistic nude" photographer?
08-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I don't know, but my feeling is that bridge, serious P&S and rugget camera's are the three types that have a future. Where your average 3-5x zoom P&S has no future due to the better getting iPhones.
I think regular 3-5x zooms are really a dying market, especially since 10x (and more) zooms are getting so small now. Btw Nikon is trying to attack the smartphone wave by building a hybrid: Nikon announces Android-powered Coolpix S800c smart Wi-Fi superzoom: Digital Photography Review
08-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
So, for the average hit-and-run wedding or "artistic nude" photographer?
I love the hit-and-run nude pictures made on a beach from selebs