Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 06:49 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This isn't an ILC. There's no lens release button, it's just a bridge camera. It's not some Q successor super-mega-awesome-bringer-of-all-things-holy thing, it's just a cheap bridge camera that looks less crappy than other cheap bridge cameras. It'll probably be a 6x crop sensor for a 24-624mm zoom range. If they can do that with a good aperture then it'll be great, if not it'll be another superzoom bridge camera.

This is not a K-5 upgrade. It's not a Q upgrade, it's just a bridge camera.

They on't say what the aperture of the lens is which is odd, but I guess that's less important on a bridge. SMC is nice yeah, and the tilting screen means Pentax have started thinking about that, so no doubt it'll appear on some DSLR model sooner or later.

Also, the X90 was very well received as far as I'm aware, so this should do similarly well for people looking for a camera in this class.

08-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
The more I think about it, if this is a k-mount it may have a shorter flange to sensor distance. If so then it would need a Pentax made adapter to use normal kaf lenses. That would be easier to engineer than the one they still haven't delivered for the Q and would also preserve all lens functions including AF.

The question is: did they engineer the 4-105mm with PK flange distance?
it's definitely not a k mount. it's a standard superzoom P&S. 1/2.5" sensor probably, sell for $400-450 initially . It does look nice for something in the category though.
08-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #33

Photos: Albums
I kind of like the look. Staying with the K-5 base design means we won't see a possible pro-dslr with debatable design.... like the k-01 .

Sadly thou, i would really like to see some sort of a Q mkII, because i really liked that design. A better sensor woulk be a killer camera in my opinion...
08-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is the design the Q should have been in the first place

08-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #35
Banned

I wonder wich battery it will run on:

- D-Li109 (as in K-30)
- some optio smallish battery
- Eneloops in it
08-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
This is the design the Q should have been in the first place
For those with large pockets and small wallets.
08-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #37
ogl
Banned

If it will be with RAW, it will be very good.

08-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #38
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
If it will be with RAW, it will be very good.
I don't expect RAW.
08-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The Q sensor is 1/2.3. A 1/2.8 sensor is smaller than 1/2.3 (it's a fraction).
Doh! You are right. It IS the Q size sensor with a k-mount.
Think high quality 5.6x teleconverter for all your good glass (or a 4x from what you are used to seeing on your APS-c)

It is still a Super Q, but they couldn't call it Q cause it doesn't use Q lenses and they can't call it K cause it isn't APS-C. It's a crossover ( therefore the X)

Keep in mind that there would BE NO X-5 if not for the Q R&D. It will absolutely have RAW, just like the Q.
08-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #40
Pentaxian

This is definitely not a K-mount camera; just a bridge.
08-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Doh! You are right. It IS the Q size sensor with a k-mount.
Think high quality 5.6x teleconverter for all your good glass (or a 4x from what you are used to seeing on your APS-c)

It is still a Super Q, but they couldn't call it Q cause it doesn't use Q lenses and they can't call it K cause it isn't APS-C. It's a crossover ( therefore the X)

Keep in mind that there would BE NO X-5 if not for the Q R&D. It will absolutely have RAW, just like the Q.
It's not interchangeable lenses it's a fixed zoom . mostly bog standard superzoom bridge camera to compete mass market. styling echos a dslr but it's not one (it will however appeal to those who want it all for a low price.
08-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
it's definitely not a k mount. it's a standard superzoom P&S. 1/2.5" sensor probably, sell for $400-450 initially . It does look nice for something in the category though.
So you think the Ricoh/Pentax president made the declaration that Pentax would only be marketing interchangeable lens cameras a few month ago and he didn't know about this camera? This cannot be a third lens mount ( beyond the Q and K)
08-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #43
Veteran Member

So you think the Ricoh/Pentax president made the declaration that Pentax would only be marketing interchangeable lens cameras a few month ago and he didn't know about this camera? This cannot be a third lens mount ( beyond the Q and K)
I think this was developed prior to that decision. I agree it's odd to see this after that announcement. If it was a mount it would be a Q I would have thought (So Q5 would have made more sense. the bridge cameras have all been X (X70, X90) and this is a logical step from those

from the pricewatch link

QuoteQuote:
Home > Point and Shoot Cameras > Pentax > Pentax X-5
from Ricehigh
QuoteQuote:
The description on the front page of the above website tells that it is a "New Pentax X-5: 16 Megapixel, 26x Ultra-Zoom Point and Shoot". As the product photo this time shows a black camera, we now know that it will be available in two colours, for both Silver and Black.

Nonetheless, isn't that prosumers are dying these days? Still making a new one in that declining category? Is there really a market of it? :-o

On the other hand, the really good meaning of the X-5 is that Ricoh is yet marketing DCs in Pentax brand, against what was previously considered by their head. Good news anyway!
Sorry to burst the enthusiasm.

It is possible though this is the last in the line and further items will be ricoh
08-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #44
Pentaxian

No such decision has been made: Pentax plays down compact camera
This "X-5" is definitely not an interchangeable mount camera but a fixed lens bridge.
08-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Now, about RiceHigh's track record...