Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If this is going to be real, I do hope it's going to be good competition versus the Canon G series.

I would love it if it can shoot RAW, even if it's only got a Q-sized sensor.

08-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
If this is going to be real, I do hope it's going to be good competition versus the Canon G series.

I would love it if it can shoot RAW, even if it's only got a Q-sized sensor.
it's more aimed at these models i think. all small sensor superzoom bridge cameras with Q sized sensors. Only the Panasonic captures a RAW file
Canon SX40
Nikon P510
Sony HX200V
Fuji HS30
Panasonic FZ150
08-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Why this is a fake to me (and somehow I'd like to be proven wrong):
* A cut and paste general design from a DSLR applied to a P&S
* the use of a X-5 which seems a lot like tricking customer into thinking they buy a K-5
* The lens which doesn't look aligned properly to me looking at the flash bump
* The flash bump reminiscent of a pentamirror/pentaprism when NO need at all (but lose space)
* and IMO lighting is stranfe (but that may due to 3D rendering....)

And going on...

Doubtful move IMO if true. K-01 was wiser to me (laugh if you want).
08-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Let's not rule out the possibility that this is the rumored full frame camera! Or wait, maybe it's the replacement for the 645D! I hope it's weather sealed and offers tethered shooting!
It might be new Pentax 67D, with new 67 fullframe with Nokia pureview technology with about gigapixel sensor? If so, that 4-104mm lens is from supermegawide to normal! I heard that it has phone functions too And in in video mode you have all auto/manual adjustments available. And it is less than 1500$

08-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeGuillotine Quote
It might be new Pentax 67D, with new 67 fullframe with Nokia pureview technology with about gigapixel sensor? If so, that 4-104mm lens is from supermegawide to normal! I heard that it has phone functions too And in in video mode you have all auto/manual adjustments available. And it is less than 1500$
You forgot about the storm prediction function. If it cannot be weather sealed, at least it can tell you when it's time to seek cover ...
08-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeGuillotine Quote
A 4mm lens on a 6x7 sensor means the camera can see behind itself. The problem is, the photographer's head is always in the picture.
08-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
It is a Super Q that takes DA & DFA and FA lenses.
This is going to be HUGE, but Pentax will still take a bashing for people who don't understand the advantages of the smaller sensor.

This is going to be a macro to birder's dream camera (and with the zoom, everything in between).

This is like the putting the iPhone quality sensor (only BIGGER) into a body that can take DA, DFA, and FA lenses. It's BRILLIANT.

All of Pentax's R&D on the Q is what got them here, haters. They have just discovered a sensor/lens sweet spot that no other camera manufacturer is even at yet. They have the territory all to themselves.
No, this is not going to appeal to all the PRO-wannabes that are craving a FF camera, but this one is going to be a true hit with the unwashed masses and anybody else with Pentax glass.

In fact, people who buy the Pentax Full Frame, whenever it ships are going to ALSO have one of these in their bag for the advantages it gives them in macro and super telephoto with their existing lenses.
Think of the X-5 body as the ultimate 4x teleconverter for every lens in your bag. The more I think about it, the prouder I am of Pentax and their engineering team.
Now, let's watch their marketing department screw it up, like they did with the Q.
If what you say is true, as a new Pentax user I'd be in line for one of those immediately.

As primarily a macro shooter you're 100% right...this would be a boon for anyone who likes magnification or telephoto. Period.

For macro, my primary complaint about previous bridge cameras has been the handling, not the sensor or lens usually. Putting good interchangeable glass on a body that handles nicely, AND has the nice small sensor that gets me an f45 or f64 equivalent on FF, wooo hooo!

08-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KHatfull Quote
If what you say is true, as a new Pentax user I'd be in line for one of those immediately.

As primarily a macro shooter you're 100% right...this would be a boon for anyone who likes magnification or telephoto. Period.

For macro, my primary complaint about previous bridge cameras has been the handling, not the sensor or lens usually. Putting good interchangeable glass on a body that handles nicely, AND has the nice small sensor that gets me an f45 or f64 equivalent on FF, wooo hooo!
It's not true. No DA or FA or AA lenses. Fixed lens bridge camera. If unconvinced, look at the photo and a.) the size of the lens and b.) the display of the number of megapixels found on the camera that it's attached to. The latter, at least, shows that the lens is permanently attached to a camera with specific specs.

I think it's time we take a deep breath or two and await news from Hong Kong.
08-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KHatfull Quote

As glanglois mentioned, this is a fixed lens bridge camera. But if it did allow interchangeables lenses and K-mount with an adapter, what would it give you that the Q doesn't (other than the obvious size difference)?
08-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
* A cut and paste general design from a DSLR applied to a P&S
* the use of a X-5 which seems a lot like tricking customer into thinking they buy a K-5
* The flash bump reminiscent of a pentamirror/pentaprism when NO need at all (but lose space)
* and IMO lighting is strange (but that may due to 3D rendering....)

And going on...

Doubtful move IMO if true. K-01 was wiser to me (laugh if you want).
What sounds 'fake' to you sounds 'marketing' to me...
08-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
As glanglois mentioned, this is a fixed lens bridge camera. But if it did allow interchangeables lenses and K-mount with an adapter, what would it give you that the Q doesn't (other than the obvious size difference)?
That would be it, the size difference. I've tried going m4/3 twice. Teeny cameras just aren't for me. The K-5 I just got (today, yay!) is at the lower size limit that I call comfortable. However, to get that DOF and EFL with better lenses I'd make an exception.
08-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Both appear to centered around the same vertical axis to me.
Attached Images

08-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Don't know why people say it's big, it looks pretty small to me. Assuming that screen on the back is the usual 3 inches, this camera is considerably smaller than the K-5 (same conclusion if the shutter button and mode dial are the same size). From the back angle, it also appears to be significantly thinner.

K-5 inspired looks aside, it seems like a pretty standard superzoom bridge camera to me.

And to those with wild speculation about interchangeable lenses or APS-C sensors, stop. Just please stop and take one look at the lens.

Last edited by Cannikin; 08-21-2012 at 08:41 PM.
08-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Don't know why people say it's big, It looks pretty small to me. Assuming that screen on the back is the usual 3 inches, this camera is considerably smaller than the K-5 (same conclusion if the shutter button and mode dial are the same size). From the back angle, it also appears to be significantly thinner.

K-5 inspired looks aside, it seems like a pretty standard superzoom bridge camera to me.

And to those with wild speculation about interchangeable lenses or APS-C sensors, stop. Just please stop and take one look at the lens.
I agree with the size assessment. I wouldn't be surprised if it were a bit smaller than the standard superzoom bridge (marketing move!) but is still a pleasure to handle. The Nikon I looked at has a T/W power zoom switch on the side of the lens barrel. Yuk. A manual zoom like a DSLR would make composition faster and more accurate. The power zooms too often perform their work in specific increments, leaving the photographer with frustration as s/he tries to get the FOV exactly right.

And I like the black/silver model. Makes it easier for DIY WR with duct tape
08-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What was obvious to me, with the release of this bridge camera, is that it looks like a K-7/K-5.

This means the K-5 replacement will have a NEW body style. Which is to be expected as Pentax has changed bodies every two releases since the K10D.