Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
You're probably right, but I wonder. Since the introduction of the SDM lenses, I've thought it odd that Pentax would continue to develop a redundant system: motors in cameras and just some of the lenses. Sounds expensive to me, but what do I know? Still, were I to bet long term - all new lens designs will have SDM, cameras won't have internal motors and the company will offer a handy little motor-equipped converter to allow use of older AF lenses.

Jer
I'd say it's more likely that new SDM lenses will appear one of these days without the driveshaft. They can do this as soon as they are ready to kiss off the the Dn folks and the early k100 people. IN a few years its unlikely they will be buying SDM's for their then aging clunkers anyway.

02-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I'd say it's more likely that new SDM lenses will appear one of these days without the driveshaft. They can do this as soon as they are ready to kiss off the the Dn folks and the early k100 people. IN a few years its unlikely they will be buying SDM's for their then aging clunkers anyway.
Perhaps . . . . . we'll see.

Jer
02-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #18

One thing that attracted me to Pentax as a new to DSLR buyer was how Pentax has kept compatibilty through the years.
02-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

That compatability has usually always been that 'new cameras can use old lenses'. As long as they keep a motor in the body in the future, that compatibility will be retained. Progress is hard, but is it worth it? For faster speed and lower noise, I'd say yes it is. My $0.02.

02-02-2008, 02:24 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clawhamemr Quote
Progress is hard, but is it worth it? For faster speed and lower noise, I'd say yes it is. My $0.02.
I concur .