Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #61
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I mean, there's only a $500 price difference
I'd even pay more than the five hundred dollar price diffeence. No superzoom could ever get optically close to any of the those interchangeable lens that the Panny has

08-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I'd even pay more than the five hundred dollar price diffeence. No superzoom could ever get optically close to any of the those interchangeable lens that the Panny has
So would I think almost everyone here. the point is though a superzoom is targeted at a completely different audience. For all of us we'd just find a million different things that bug us about them. for a guy moving from a small PS or a cell phone they will be a revelation in many ways while still being largely idot proof (something you can't really say for any ILC - how many times do you see a new user wondering why he can't get everything in focus like he did on his superzoom or P&S when he first starts using DSLR
08-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #63

What's your reference on no raw files ? I contacted Pentax and was told that the raw format for the X-5 would be PEF.
08-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Horrible. Very disappointing. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a compact camera sensor, but the artifacts in that... If they released this as a sample of what they think is good, imagine how it will perform in real life situations.
I think your standards are a wee bit high for a $280 camera that will probably drop to $225 in a few months.

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Then you're not the intended audience. I walk around Times Square and I see tons of bridge and compact cams. These people wouldn't even dream of spending more then $300 on a camera, let alone $800. And having to change lenses? And lenses cost extra?

If you can't a camera for it's intended audience, then that's just silly.

08-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #65

The X-5 seems a viable option to those who are looking for a super zoom. The camera certainly has the typical 'Pentax Look", very gorgeous hardware.
08-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #66
Site Supporter

Back in 2006 I took a Panasonic superzoom on a study tour to Israel, as I didn't want to be bothered messing with gear, or to risk my expensive cameras. The FZ30 had EFV, stabilized lens, optional manual zoom and focus on the lens. Except for the time-lag on the EFV it felt a lot like an SLR. I would likely choose a similar model for such a trip today. I'd have to handle the X-5 to compare, but it looks like a good choice.
08-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I think your standards are a wee bit high for a $280 camera that will probably drop to $225 in a few months.
You're probably right. I should also probably look at more samples before judging it too firmly.
08-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Also, do note that this camera does NOT have aperture or shutter priority modes. Full manual yes, but I use aperture priority 95% of the time when I'm shooting. Thus, the camera is even less useful.

Charles.

08-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Also, do note that this camera does NOT have aperture or shutter priority modes.
That's a poobah on Pentax's part then, as far as I can see, *all* other bridge cameras from other makers have AV and Tv as well as M. It was one of the selling points for me, way back, when I wasn't sure if I wanted to go DSLR, and I took the interim step (hence bridge) of buying a Fuji S8000fd... which had the manual controls. Without them, its just a glorified superzoom P&S with not much to recommend it beyond its lcd screen and VF... (IMO, of course!) .
08-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure I read somewhere that it has Av and Tv, might have been DPReview. I think the sample looks fine for what the camera is. And I reckon most of the people I've seen around tend to have bridge cameras, presumably because it's cheap and they think it will make them look more like a serious photographer. This certainly fits the bill well enough. Seems a bit silly not to utilise that ring though.
08-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #72
Veteran Member

From Pentax X-5 Camera - Preview (and I quote):

"Experienced photographers may find off-putting the fact that the only format in which images can be saved is as compressed JPEG files; there's no raw file support. Nor does the X-5 support Aperture- or Shutter-priority shooting; you have a choice of Program Auto or Manual exposure modes, plus the usual raft of consumer-friendly Scene modes"

You can also see in this image, there is no Av or Tv on the mode dial:

Charles.
08-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #73

x-5 raw output support demystification

Given this Yahoo scoop originating from B&H :
Pentax Announces the X-5 Stylish 26x Megazoom Digital Camera - Yahoo! News
is there a possibility that B&H would get a sepcial edition of the X-5 that supports RAW output ?

I ordered from B&H after reading that article and also confirming with Pentax Imaging that the RAW format for that BSI CMOS would be PEF, so I could possibly use the Microsoft x64 CODEC (provided the Bayer demosaicing is close enough to the K & *IS series).
08-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
From Pentax X-5 Camera - Preview (and I quote):

"Experienced photographers may find off-putting the fact that the only format in which images can be saved is as compressed JPEG files; there's no raw file support. Nor does the X-5 support Aperture- or Shutter-priority shooting; you have a choice of Program Auto or Manual exposure modes, plus the usual raft of consumer-friendly Scene modes"

You can also see in this image, there is no Av or Tv on the mode dial:

Charles.
Thanks, Charles. I actually *did* want another superzoom for when I dont feel like mucking about with lens changes... but the XS1 from fuji is the only contender in the reasonable IQ stakes, and really, at 920gm unloaded, a person might as well hunt around for another 18-250 lens and be done with it, and get better shots. Which I think I'll do.
08-25-2012, 05:09 AM   #75
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Then you're not the intended audience. I walk around Times Square and I see tons of bridge and compact cams. These people wouldn't even dream of spending more then $300 on a camera, let alone $800. And having to change lenses? And lenses cost extra
Since about two years after the invention of the digital slr and introduction into the consumer market... The (general) sales numbers of slr's has literally trippled. Sure part of that is people continually upgrading their cameras, but... Digital has also made slr's a lot more commonplace.