Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2012, 05:50 AM   #76
Banned

If you want 20x or more optical zoom you need a small sensor camera because the widest super zoom lens on APS-C is the $1,000 Nikon 16.7x 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G with 27-450mm equivalent range compared to my Nikon P500 with 36x 22.5-810mm and Canon SX30 IS with 35x 24-840mm eqiv lens that could zoom the full range handheld in HD video mode with 4 stop OIS. My Panasonic ZS20 has a 20x 24-480mm eqiv lens that is the smallest compact superzoom that fits in my pocket and shoots 1080p60 that is not available on any DSLR.

Last edited by jogiba; 08-25-2012 at 06:03 AM.
08-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Since about two years after the invention of the digital slr and introduction into the consumer market... The (general) sales numbers of slr's has literally trippled. Sure part of that is people continually upgrading their cameras, but... Digital has also made slr's a lot more commonplace.
It has, and I do see more and more DSLRs. But the fact is, people still want to buy bridge cameras - and the people who upgrade to DSLRs are generally bridge camera users as well. When I'm in any large crowded area with tourists or events (Macy's Thanksgiving parade, concerts, Times Square, South Street Seaport, etc), the large majority are phone cameras, compacts that I can't recognize, bridge cameras of all sorts, a few DSLRs (some pro, some entry, most 18-55 or 24-105 lenses), and occasionally mirrorless cams (Nikon V1s, Olympus and Panasonics, and the rare Q or Sony NEX).

It's fine to say - "I would spend $800 on a mirrorless that has much better IQ than a bridge"

But not everyone else says that. I have some friends who will ask me - "what's a good camera to get? but I don't want to spend more than $300". That means I can only introduce them to super compacts or bridge cameras.
08-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cquarksnow Quote
What's your reference on no raw files ? I contacted Pentax and was told that the raw format for the X-5 would be PEF.
there own specs make no mention of raw so whoever you spoke to was misinformed. none of the sites publishing the announcement no mentioned it either except where they expressed dissapointment at the lack of raw

PENTAX X-5. An all-purpose digital camera, featuring a versatile optical 26X zoom lens and a tilt-able LCD monitor | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
08-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Also, do note that this camera does NOT have aperture or shutter priority modes. Full manual yes, but I use aperture priority 95% of the time when I'm shooting. Thus, the camera is even less useful.

Charles.
If the "M" mode dial position works like in K-01, it is basically the TAv mode : not too bad in my opinion.

08-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #80

It looks LOVELY - If I'd seen this before my recent K-5 - (also lovely but maybe a bit Pro for my needs) - I'd've probably gone for this instead. Obviously I'd like to see the stats/reviews but it looks wonderful. Funny how the lift up view-finder divides opinion; I hate them, I worry they'll snap off, get grit under & just don't see the point but I guess it could be just kept un-folded, I'd still have the camera, with silver casing as it reminds me of my beloved old-skool Pentax KMs
08-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #81
Forum Member

Consider me unimpressed. Please Pentax- swing for the fences, not for an in-field base hit.
08-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Also, do note that this camera does NOT have aperture or shutter priority modes. Full manual yes, but I use aperture priority 95% of the time when I'm shooting. Thus, the camera is even less useful.

Charles.
What happens if the user sets the aperture whilst in program mode? Does the experience resemble Av? The downside I see is that use of the green button would cause the user to re-set the aperture without a mode-dial Av mode. Is that a major problem with a $2XX bridge camera?

08-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't see much use of Av mode on a 1/2.33" sensor camera like this. Smallest aperture is probably f/8, so there is not much you can do to the picture when max aperture is 3.1 - 5.9.
08-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #84
bvg
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
You can see the photographer image in the eye
08-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Aperture Type: ND filter
Av mode would be useless indeed....
08-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Thanks, Charles. I actually *did* want another superzoom for when I dont feel like mucking about with lens changes... but the XS1 from fuji is the only contender in the reasonable IQ stakes, and really, at 920gm unloaded, a person might as well hunt around for another 18-250 lens and be done with it, and get better shots. Which I think I'll do.
---------------------------------------
I would say that the Panasonic Bridge Cameras are at least a match for the Fuji XS1.
08-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think some of us are confusing bridge cameras with DSLR's.
The intended audience for this uses picasa, not photoshop cs5 and can't even edit to the full ability of a Jpeg so raw files are useless. They also will never take the camera off of full auto or attempt to manual focus, notice all the pretty pictures on the dial, those are to tell the morons that can't work a camera what mode to use without making them think too hard. The person who buys one of these is normally moving from a camera phone and is baffled by the sort of person that would pay over $1000 for just a lens. Considering this is the release price and it will only get cheaper this is exactly what the Pentax lineup needed, not a slightly crappier version of the K30 that would still be out of everyone's price range. They have to show the masses that Pentax still exists.
08-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I think some of us are confusing bridge cameras with DSLR's.
The intended audience for this uses picasa, not photoshop cs5 and can't even edit to the full ability of a Jpeg so raw files are useless. They also will never take the camera off of full auto or attempt to manual focus, notice all the pretty pictures on the dial, those are to tell the morons that can't work a camera what mode to use without making them think too hard. The person who buys one of these is normally moving from a camera phone and is baffled by the sort of person that would pay over $1000 for just a lens. Considering this is the release price and it will only get cheaper this is exactly what the Pentax lineup needed, not a slightly crappier version of the K30 that would still be out of everyone's price range. They have to show the masses that Pentax still exists.
Kind of harsh I'd say.
08-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
hey also will never take the camera off of full auto or attempt to manual focus, notice all the pretty pictures on the dial, those are to tell the morons that can't work a camera what mode to use without making them think too hard.
Some of them just really can't spend that much (especially on lenses) but are willing to learn great lengths.
08-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Some of them just really can't spend that much (especially on lenses) but are willing to learn great lengths.
You can see this among FZ150, etc. owners on the DPR Panny forum. They can spend a great deal of time working with raw, presumably because they don't have a great deal of money to spend on gear.

I wonder if the people here who sneer at the hopeless P&S folks are the same who sneer at learners with USD $3K or $5K bodies. I also wonder how much I'm supposed to spend on gear given my (very real) lack of creative skills. Perhaps I should ditch the K-5 and keep the Panny TZ-30? In auto mode?