Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #1

More Rumors of a possible K1D

Here's the link...

Pentax plan calls for higher-grade SLR | Underexposed - CNET News.com

Quote from article:
"But don't expect a full-frame Pentax, at least for the time being, Carlson said. Asked whether it was in the plans, he said, "At this point I would say no. The lenses are designed for the APS-C format," Carlson said.""

01-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link.

And this is exactly how I understand it. The Road Map spells it out loud and clear. Pentax is fully committed to APS-C and no FF camera is in the works. Of course, you never say never, and they will always keep the options open.
01-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Could be the 645D they're talking about, although I'm hoping for the K1D, myself.

If I had to venture a guess as to when we'll see it it'll be after they've realized they've made enough K20D's. I think the K20D and K200D are going to be fairly high demand for the amount of production power that Pentax has.

When Pentax has produced enough of those to start producing another line (I actually think 2) of cameras they will surely announce it. I think they have the technology ready to go for both lines of cameras.

Notice that I said 2 lines, i think the KxxxxD is coming, too. Since the K200D wont exactly be cheap enough for everyone. Pentax sold a ton of cameras because they had the best camera and the price at the entry level. Now they just have the best camera at entry level at the same price as all the other ones...
01-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Could be the 645D they're talking about, although I'm hoping for the K1D, myself..
Don't think it is 645D since he mentions a new market they have had no previous products in.
645D is mediium format market, they have been there for many years.
But have they competed in the pro-segment with a K-systems body?
Z-1? MZ-S? Super-A? Just below... LX? In a way yes, but it was never really a Nikon F4 competitior.
But this time? I believe so yes.
24x36? No, Carson rules that out for the coming 2 years.
So this leaves APS-C, pro-segment. Above the K20D.
Yes.
K1D? Quite possibly yes!

01-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a market Pentax has had no products in: Digital Medium Format

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Don't think it is 645D since he mentions a new market they have had no previous products in.
I don't get your argument here: What could better define the 645D than exactly that statement?

Maybe there stil is hope?
Torge
01-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by torge Quote
I don't get your argument here: What could better define the 645D than exactly that statement?

Maybe there stil is hope?
Torge
Well, for one thing his reference to the fact that current lenses are all APS ...suggests he is talking about a camera that would employ current APS class lenses. That's not 645!

Mike.
01-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbcampbell Quote
Here's the link...

Pentax plan calls for higher-grade SLR | Underexposed - CNET News.com

Quote from article:
"But don't expect a full-frame Pentax, at least for the time being, Carlson said. Asked whether it was in the plans, he said, "At this point I would say no. The lenses are designed for the APS-C format," Carlson said.""
You left out his qualification: "What will happen in two years? Who knows."

Now that Sony has announced a 24 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor, Pentax needs to get it in gear, whether or not they say so "officially." Even if it's in their plans, it doesn't benefit them to say so right now given all the "digital only" APS-C format lens sales they might forego by whetting the appetites of the faithful.

01-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
You left out his qualification: "What will happen in two years? Who knows."

Now that Sony has announced a 24 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor, Pentax needs to get it in gear, whether or not they say so "officially." Even if it's in their plans, it doesn't benefit them to say so right now given all the "digital only" APS-C format lens sales they might forego by whetting the appetites of the faithful.
Right, i did leave that out because based on the article the next Pentax high end SLR (K1D or whatever) will not be FF. I think if you asked any representative from any manufacturer what their plans were after the next 2 years you would get the answer..."Who knows".
01-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I guess we will wait and see on this one. This is just being speculated for too long.

It seems k20d is really a great performer. I even had a few canon users recommending it to me!
01-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My own road map: currently K100, skipping K10, next upgrade K20 when price has gone off the boil, next next upgrade: FF (what else realistically?!).
If Pentax doesn't go FF they won't get another camera cent out of me

Last edited by Kguru; 01-30-2008 at 08:55 PM.
01-30-2008, 11:14 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by jbcampbell Quote
Quote from article:
Thanks for the link...

Obviously the measured comments from somone who knows an announcement of a fullframe solution would impact on current sales of APS-C bodies and lenses.

bazz.
01-30-2008, 11:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
If Pentax doesn't go FF they won't get another camera cent out of me
I bet a KOOD 52mm IR filter that you'll be eating your statement in two years time!
01-31-2008, 12:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
I bet a KOOD 52mm IR filter that you'll be eating your statement in two years time!
Five years time maybe, but two years time ... no sweat

It'll be about a year before I get the K20 (as I said when price has gone off the boil). Another year after that, if not for FF, what would I want to upgrade K20 to?!!
01-31-2008, 03:03 AM   #14
Forum Member

K1D with upgraded innards to go for a higher FPS, improved AF etc I would be interested in...

I don't understand this obsession with full-frame at all, IQ is more important and the photographer's satisfaction with his own work more important still than how big the sensor is...

Die-hard photographers would insist that anything smaller the 8"x10" is miniscule...

And there are a lot of people on here who like their K10D (and their *ist D before that) and looking forward to the K20D....

As for Sonny, I think they (Sony/KM) have been out of the game for too long, the A900 won't be enough to crack open the Nikon/Canon stranglehold. So I don't see why Pentax should overstretch themselves, just focus on what they are good at, if they continue to bring excellent products out (like the limiteds etc) people will appreciate Pentax for what it stands for - not a ME TOO....
01-31-2008, 03:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I too hope that Pentax doesn't catch the full frame flu.