Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2008, 01:00 AM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
for some reason i have the feeling that sony's strategy is to take the market share of pentax/olympus rather than eating off canon/nikon shares
If that was their intention why produce a Full Frame sensor and with that a Full frame camera in the first place? Olympus is 4/3s and Pentax has declared they are APS-C sized for the foreseeable future.

01-31-2008, 01:30 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ankit Quote
but I find sony's approach better than any other I have seen so far.
QuoteOriginally posted by and:
I guess they weren't kidding when they said they didnt want to include live view untill they could do it right.
I beg to differ. Availability of AF is the only advantage.
It really does not offer the advantages of main sensor live view:
  • no 100% coverage (unlike K20D, it is the most economic way of getting 100% coverage other than $$$$ top of the line camera)
  • no live histogram (I prefer using main sensor for more accurate metering and much more accurate WB settings as well)
  • no true WB/Exposure preview
  • no perfect focus for critical focusing (in K20D, you can get perfect focus because you are using the image sensor itself for critical manual focusing.)
  • need to use Pentamirror viewfinder
  • small viewfinder - it has a 0.74x magnification viewfinder (K20D's 0.95x viewfinder is 28% larger!)

Just too much compromise for phase detection AF.
01-31-2008, 02:01 AM   #33

This is the first Alpha i like...btw all this live view bla bla and nothing interesting about IQ , ISO...then, being a 14 mpx on APS-C means K20 sensor can top it with in image quality much bigger photosites. We'll see how it performs at measurbation time

Anyway, with the bigger viewfinder of Canon 450d this is the worst viewfinder of the industry, better scrap it and do a LV only SLR...
01-31-2008, 04:02 AM   #34
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What can we see?
A300 is clone of A200 which cosmetic clone of A100.
Very small viewfinder. And strange Live View, which to be honest we must call version of ZigView.
It will be a bit better version of E-330's LV.
A350 with very small viewfinder, 14 noisy CCD (like A100 at ISO800 and 1600) with approx. 2 fps.
And with 14.2 Mp in front of body. Like compact camera.
The difference in price of A200/A300/A350 is $100.

01-31-2008, 08:23 AM   #35
Inactive Account

I worked in a camera store for years. It was amazing how many people bought Rebels (film) simply because of a commercial. Those that asked our opinions and took the time to look at other options often left with a Pentax, but many took the Rebel solely based on those silly tennis commercials.

Pentax is a superior camera to Sony, but some will not know that and might see two 14 MP cameras with a $400 difference. Plus it deflates Pentax's ability to claim the only 14 MP APS-C camera on the market (I don't see the .4 MP as a significant difference).
01-31-2008, 08:30 AM   #36
Veteran Member

It's not what you or I would use it for, it's what it says on the paper. And that's a big part of what sells these cameras.

Is the $900 street price or MSRP?

Pentax sells well below MSRP so I'm sure $900 isn't far off on the K20D, but even so, if that's street price, Pentax better rethink the pricing.
01-31-2008, 08:31 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Yes, there are lots of simple ways to say things. That doesn't mean we should disparage people for having a better comprehension of the width and breadth of the art of communication than simple vernacular.
i suggest you read this, once a year atleast,

George Orwell, "Politics and the English Language," 1946

just because you can stuff a bunch of words into a sentence does not make you into any sort of artsy fartsy character, it only confuses the reader, and (as you will see from the article) may sometimes even confuse your own train of thought.

i am of the school of thought that puts clear meaning before fancy writers prose.
01-31-2008, 08:59 AM   #38
Veteran Member

ok, I will start...

1, When your viewfinder is leaning in every shot, this is a reason live view would come in handy.

01-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #39
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
And with 14.2 Mp in front of body. Like compact camera.
You can start to get used to it cos I am affraid that this camera is going to be the best seller of the year.
01-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #40
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

i am of the school of thought that puts clear meaning before fancy writers prose.
"Not dissimilar" is hardly fancy writers prose. Having a good vocabulary is hardly artsy fartsy. Besides, my point was that many here are quick to be negative about others' opinions. The irony of which is that this is a rumor forum. You didn't like someone's opinion so you attacked their grammar, even when the grammar was correct. It is okay to disagree, but counterpoints should not be personal attacks.
01-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #41
Veteran Member

"Not dissimilar" is hardly fancy writers prose. Having a good vocabulary is hardly artsy fartsy. Besides, my point was that many here are quick to be negative about others' opinions. The irony of which is that this is a rumor forum. You didn't like someone's opinion so you attacked their grammar, even when the grammar was correct. It is okay to disagree, but counterpoints should not be personal attacks.
i wrote one line to take a jab at the fella, followed by many more sentences of actual arguments.

only you decided to stick to my one liner and veer this off tangent, why, i dont know.
01-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Not dissimilar" is not a double negative. "Isn't not dissimilar" is a double negative. "Not dissimilar" is actually a common, and grammatically correct, phrase.
You are correct.

(Yep, I was a grammar Nazi in a former life... )
01-31-2008, 10:50 AM   #43
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
i wrote one line to take a jab at the fella
Why? Is that a good way to validate the rest of your argument? When you start off with an intentional "jab" the rest of your comments are less likely to be heard. I am not complaining about your opinions in regards to the topic at hand, just the way you preface them with negativity. Besides, all I originally said was the "not dissimilar" is not a double negative. You are the one who posted a link to a definition that proved me right and your continued defense has been that the English language is "silly".

Want something on topic? As much as I don't like Sony, the A350 will cut into the sales of the K20D. Bad news for Pentax. Even worse news for Canon and Nikon because both the Pentax and the Sony will cut into sales of the 40D, D90, D300, and even the Rebels. (Notice how I didn't have to kick anyone in the shins to express my opinion?)

Last edited by davemdsn; 01-31-2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling
01-31-2008, 11:55 AM   #44
Veteran Member

As much as I don't like Sony, the A350 will cut into the sales of the K20D. Bad news for Pentax.
I really don't think so. K20D, without the scene modes, is clearly aiming for a different group of buyers. People who cannot see the IQ difference between K20D and A350, or the quality of optical viewfinder difference, would not have considered K20D in the first place because of the lack of scene modes.
01-31-2008, 01:07 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff1101 Quote
If that was their intention why produce a Full Frame sensor and with that a Full frame camera in the first place? Olympus is 4/3s and Pentax has declared they are APS-C sized for the foreseeable future.
As what have been mentioned by others, the A350 will steal a lot of sales from k20d, the supposedly camera w/ the highest mp. The megapixel buyers will probably opt for the A350 because it is cheaper? Basically the mp advantage pentax had is now no longer. They can't claim "top of the range" in their commercials anymore.