Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
As what have been mentioned by others, the A350 will steal a lot of sales from k20d, the supposedly camera w/ the highest mp. The megapixel buyers will probably opt for the A350 because it is cheaper? Basically the mp advantage pentax had is now no longer. They can't claim "top of the range" in their commercials anymore.
I don't get that. How will a350 steal sales from K20D?

K20D buyers will be well informed buyers. I don't get the feeling at all that first time Pentax buyers will jump on a K20D either. For what it's worth, Pentax buyers make well thought out decisions because Pentax offers very detailed, advanced cameras. If someone wants a K20D, they're going to buy it. K20D will sell on features, not megapixels. Looking at the entry level crowd, if it sold on megapixels, none of those entry level people would know why the K20D features were so advanced.

Megapixel buyers can do as they please. Those Sony lens prices will eat them alive.

01-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #47
Pentaxian

As what have been mentioned by others, the A350 will steal a lot of sales from k20d, the supposedly camera w/ the highest mp. The megapixel buyers will probably opt for the A350 because it is cheaper? Basically the mp advantage pentax had is now no longer. They can't claim "top of the range" in their commercials anymore.
Pentax should just print few ISO1600/3200 images and dare Sony to do the same
(see Imaging Resource for the A350 preview)
01-31-2008, 02:14 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
I don't get that. How will a350 steal sales from K20D?

K20D buyers will be well informed buyers. I don't get the feeling at all that first time Pentax buyers will jump on a K20D either. For what it's worth, Pentax buyers make well thought out decisions because Pentax offers very detailed, advanced cameras. If someone wants a K20D, they're going to buy it. K20D will sell on features, not megapixels. Looking at the entry level crowd, if it sold on megapixels, none of those entry level people would know why the K20D features were so advanced.

Megapixel buyers can do as they please. Those Sony lens prices will eat them alive.
Well I believe there're a lot of Canon 40D/Nikon D80/(perhaps Sony A700) buyers that just want a non-entry level camera while being uninformed. I guess I'll really need to hear from a camera sales to confirm that. Pentax needs more buyers to reach the profit goal and I want that to happen.
01-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Well I believe there're a lot of Canon 40D/Nikon D80/(perhaps Sony A700) buyers that just want a non-entry level camera while being uninformed.
Hmmm..... I can't see your concern at all. Why would a 40D/D80/A700 buyer/owner be interested in a A350? They are totally different class. Entry level buyers won't look at K20D because of the price & and lack of scene modes, and even the XSi looks more interesting than the A350.

01-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
...Why would a ... A700 buyer/owner be interested in a A350?

Because he bought the A700 for megapixels I guess...

I think megapixels addicts are only on the entry level. IQ addicts on the prosumer level. FPS addicts are on the pro level. Those on the pro level don't shout so loudly about IQ. It's irrelevant for them to stick up for their system. At the top of the mountain, there are no losers.
01-31-2008, 03:33 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Pentax should just print few ISO1600/3200 images and dare Sony to do the same
(see Imaging Resource for the A350 preview)
You'd be surprised to know that these images are considered very good by some Sony fans... I just hope the K20 will be head and shoulders above in IQ , from the comparison, the K10 already is...
01-31-2008, 03:44 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Sony, with this new FF Camera will have to produce something VERY special to wretch Canikon users for their existing Kit. with the MP of 24.6 are they going for the Pro cameras? It will be interesting to see what pans out. Have they done it, to get 5D, 1Ds and D2Xs user from going to newer Canikon models? I doubt it, unless this new camera is the new King IQ wise.

01-31-2008, 04:41 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
Sony, with this new FF Camera will have to produce something VERY special to wretch Canikon users for their existing Kit. with the MP of 24.6 are they going for the Pro cameras? It will be interesting to see what pans out. Have they done it, to get 5D, 1Ds and D2Xs user from going to newer Canikon models? I doubt it, unless this new camera is the new King IQ wise.
Even if it is IQ wise, who will actually say goodbye to those L lenses for (to them) Minolta lenses or the new kid on the block, Sony? I highly doubt that.
01-31-2008, 06:16 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
Even if it is IQ wise, who will actually say goodbye to those L lenses for (to them) Minolta lenses or the new kid on the block, Sony? I highly doubt that.
Well, those same L-lens buyers would also know of another brand name, Carl Zeiss. But the IQ will make or break the deal for possible system-switchers. If Sony cannot achieve the level of IQ that people see in the D3 or 1Ds, then it's a no-go.
02-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Sony dumped A

Sony 300/350 even went to using pop up flash-strobe for AF instead of a AF assist light... to save a few bucks I imagine.

Ooops on the title... seems it can't be edited

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Very interesting time .Coming March Sony start sale A300/350{10M and 14M with}
350 look very close with K20 .How this competition will be effective to Pentax price ??????
Sony open price now for A350 with 18-70 kit 900$ US