Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sony ready fight back

Very interesting time .Coming March Sony start sale A300/350{10M and 14M with}
350 look very close with K20 .How this competition will be effective to Pentax price ??????
Sony open price now for A350 with 18-70 kit 900$ US

01-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

on paper that thing is a monster in terms of attracting NEW buyers.

i guess the bottom line will be with refinement of features and end-result IQ of images.

plus the silly stuff like ergonomics and lens selection...
01-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Very interesting time .Coming March Sony start sale A300/350{10M and 14M with}
350 look very close with K20 .How this competition will be effective to Pentax price ??????
Sony open price now for A350 with 18-70 kit 900$ US
Can only be good for us consumers. Pentax will probably have to deeply discount the K20D, unless the sensor is truly in a class by itself.
01-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #4

Man this blows. I kept saying Pentax shot itself in the foot for not having Liveview in the K200D. I want Pentax bad, I like the thing but a major selling point for me (actually the wife) is liveview. Man you know how hard it would be to not open that box from Fed-x tomorrow knowing there is a K10D in it . It is going to be very hard for Pentax to attract all the soccer moms and pojnt-n-shooters. Especially since they are not in the big box B&M stores. I am really going to have to rethink this one. Only thing trumping the liveview right now is the weatherproofing and cheap, as in $, lenses.

01-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
350 look very close with K20 .
You are kidding right?
They are not even close. For those people who cannot tell the difference between the two classes of cameras, they will be scared away by K20D's lack of scene modes anyways.
01-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

the one I wonder about it nikon with "only" 12 mp's
01-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cajuncutter Quote
Man this blows. I kept saying Pentax shot itself in the foot for not having Liveview in the K200D. I want Pentax bad, I like the thing but a major selling point for me (actually the wife) is liveview.
Pentax simply does not have sensor capable of Live View for K200D class. I don't like Sony's two sensor approach, it negates many advantages of Live View. Nikon faces the same dilemma, hence the D60.

QuoteQuote:
It is going to be very hard for Pentax to attract all the soccer moms and pojnt-n-shooters.
And Pentax probably isn't aiming at them. Hoya and Pentax wants to attract buyers who would buy lenses instead of just the camera bodies. And those soccer moms probably won't buy anything other than the kit lens(es).

Do you realize how awkward it is to use Live View in a DSLR on a daily basis? For some situations like over the head shots etc, it will excel. But DSLRs simply has very poor ergonomics for outstretch hand shooting, the buttons and controls were not designed to be accessed that way. And it is heavy.

01-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Pentax simply does not have sensor capable of Live View for K200D class. I don't like Sony's two sensor approach, it negates many advantages of Live View. Nikon faces the same dilemma, hence the D60.
Well, it depends on what you want out of liveview, but I find sony's approach better than any other I have seen so far. You get improved metering (they use the liveview ccd for metering), phase shift autofocus, and a bright (though slightly smaller) viewfinder. The only downsides I see are (no movie mode or pentax like 20fps mode), and you cant "zoom-in" as a focusing aid (good for macro, I imagine).
01-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you Sony!!!

I thought I'd have to wait at least 7 months before the K20D dropped to $900 but with this news it might get there just about the time the camera hits the stores. Bad for Pentax, good for us.
01-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cajuncutter Quote
Man this blows. I kept saying Pentax shot itself in the foot for not having Liveview in the K200D. I want Pentax bad, I like the thing but a major selling point for me (actually the wife) is liveview. Man you know how hard it would be to not open that box from Fed-x tomorrow knowing there is a K10D in it . It is going to be very hard for Pentax to attract all the soccer moms and pojnt-n-shooters. Especially since they are not in the big box B&M stores. I am really going to have to rethink this one. Only thing trumping the liveview right now is the weatherproofing and cheap, as in $, lenses.
Pentax [and Hoya] probably aren't gearing their products at the "soccer moms" or the "point-n-shooters." For the latter, they have a very large selection of cameras. Live view has its place like everything else. Using live view on a dSLR on a daily basis is completely impractical. dSLRs are large and heavy, for the most part, with the exception of the Rebel XT/i, some Olympus cameras, and some Nikon cameras, but those look and feel like toys. Long-arm shooting on a dSLR would leave you more than just sore. For some things, live view will work great, but the people who use dSLRs don't really need the feature, otherwise the market would have died a long time ago. Pentax has nothing to worry about by not including live view in the K200D.
01-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gone are the days of blind consumer consumption. I suspect the majority of buyers off the mark will be existing Sony users upgrading bodies. They already spent their dough on the lenses so buying a one off body puts them low in the priority stakes. The all important system virgins are the target market. Fortunately theres this thing called the internet available to anyone who knows how to use a computer, Phils site and the like will be flooded daily by potential first time buyers investigating deeper into the truth behind the adverts....."huh? that Pentax camera has the best IQ of the lot??"*searches Pentax K20D*.......
01-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #12

We can dismiss this liveview thing off as something for only soccer moms, or something unnecessary in a DSLR, but the fact is that liveview is fast becoming an important 'must have' in the DSLR's to come, whether at entry-level (like your 450D) or at the pro-level (D3). That can only mean that the CCD, which is the main limiting factor to liveview implementation, will be replaced by the CMOS chips. Sadly, the upcoming K200D will not have liveview and will not be competitive in the fast improving world of DSLRs.

The good news for most of us wanting and waiting to upgrade to the K20D will probably be able to get it cheaper. And the longer Pentax take to bring the K20D and K200D to the market, the more under pressure they are to bring down prices. Good for us, but just hope that Pentax will not so badly hurt financially that they stand to have the risk of going under.
01-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by obheng Quote
We can dismiss this liveview thing off as something for only soccer moms, or something unnecessary in a DSLR, but the fact is that liveview is fast becoming an important 'must have' in the DSLR's to come, whether at entry-level (like your 450D) or at the pro-level (D3). That can only mean that the CCD, which is the main limiting factor to liveview implementation, will be replaced by the CMOS chips. Sadly, the upcoming K200D will not have liveview and will not be competitive in the fast improving world of DSLRs.

The good news for most of us wanting and waiting to upgrade to the K20D will probably be able to get it cheaper. And the longer Pentax take to bring the K20D and K200D to the market, the more under pressure they are to bring down prices. Good for us, but just hope that Pentax will not so badly hurt financially that they stand to have the risk of going under.
do tell, your reasoning that liveview is "fast becoming" and important part of an DLSR, as i can only think of a handful of instances where live view would some how even be remotely useful.
01-30-2008, 07:26 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
do tell, your reasoning that liveview is "fast becoming" and important part of an DLSR, as i can only think of a handful of instances where live view would some how even be remotely useful.
I second this notion. Do tell...
01-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #15

Gooshin,
It's what the market wants or expect this liveview feature to be had. Look at all the players we have - Nikon, Canon, Sony, Oly and even Pentax very own K20D. They are all coming out with new models, from entry-level onwards, with this feature. It's not about whether or not we need it, not dissimilar to the megapixel race or the FPS number.