Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another RiceHigh misunderstanding: Special Edition 35 Macro?

Ricehigh seems to be saying that there is a Special Edition 35 Macro due out soon, but Cheekygeek points out this is old recycled news about a lens modified for an Arctic expedition.

Last edited by Docrwm; 08-30-2012 at 08:47 AM.
08-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter

any info on what is so special about it?

EDIT: apparently same thing mechanically and optically but made for use in Antartica with big gloves (and no oil or something)

Seems like a one off

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhisto...7%2F1289135202
08-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Never read RiceHigh's commentary without reading the source. It is like a game of Telephone and the message gets garbled with each retelling. If you read the translation of the original source, you will see that is not a new model planned (or even a redesign). It is a model made for a very specific purpose (an Antarctic expedition). RichHigh's headlines and commentary are designed to make you feel that he's uncovered something new, but if you look at the dates (etc.) you will see that he's just recycling (or discovering for the first time) stuff that was written and posted long ago. The article this is from contains image of presentation slides made for the K10D, for goodness sakes.

Then it gets amplified by somebody making a post here and...
08-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah, that makes sense. Sorry for the confusion.

08-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
ogl
Pentaxian

It's preproduction version of design of DA35 macro and nothing else.
08-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's preproduction version of design of DA35 macro and nothing else.
As that contradicts what others have posted, with supporting links, I'm curious as to what your source is for saying they're wrong. Do you have a link?
08-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That's simply a normal DA35 with a special focusing ring slid on. You can even see the screw which holds it in place.

In other news...
08-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
That's simply a normal DA35 with a special focusing ring slid on. You can even see the screw which holds it in place.

In other news...
Yes one covers the distance scale (maybe so snow wont get in there and better grip) the other two are enlarged for glove use

Maybe its for use with the new Pentax FF

08-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
ogl
Pentaxian

I saw old Japanese news where we could see the several preproduction versions of design of DA35. This version for winter time. It's old news, by the way - 2 years ago.
08-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Marketplace Reseller

The real question was, did the modified version retain the idiotic cap and hood design of the original? It drives me up a wall!
08-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The real question was, did the modified version retain the idiotic cap and hood design of the original? It drives me up a wall!

Huh?

Get a 49mm pinch cap and it's great.
08-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #12
Marketplace Reseller

The problem w/ the pinch cap is that depending on the design, it can still be pushed out if you retract the hood fully, or worse, it can hit the glass. And on top of that, the hood won't clear the bezel on many 49mm filters, particularly knurled ones.
08-31-2012, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I love to read "Ricehigh Ramblings" !! I drank a lot of booze in my younger days, but have never done any drugs, never even smoked a joint (do you guys still call them "joints"?) .

Sometimes I get curious about those "Magic Mushrooms" and that LSD and the effect on the brain, the disorientation, confusion, and all those pretty colors you see when you are on a "Trip". Still not interested in doing drugs, so I just go to Ricehigh's Blog and read away! In no time my brain gets the same effect....and it's all free!

Regards!
08-31-2012, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I love to read "Ricehigh Ramblings" !! I drank a lot of booze in my younger days, but have never done any drugs, never even smoked a joint (do you guys still call them "joints"?) .

Sometimes I get curious about those "Magic Mushrooms" and that LSD and the effect on the brain, the disorientation, confusion, and all those pretty colors you see when you are on a "Trip". Still not interested in doing drugs, so I just go to Ricehigh's Blog and read away! In no time my brain gets the same effect....and it's all free!

Regards!
But like those other methods you refer to, his blogs also cause drain bamage!
08-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
But UNlike those other methods you refer to, his blogs cause brain damage!
fixored