Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Prices look normal here, have barly changed. Us prices have been hundreds of $ cheaper then here in Canada for the longest time, and now that prices are more in line with the value of the US $ everyone is getting upset. I think the prices are fair for teh auality of the product, unless we're saying Pentax makes cheap quality products now.

09-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #92
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Prices look normal here, have barly changed. Us prices have been hundreds of $ cheaper then here in Canada for the longest time, and now that prices are more in line with the value of the US $ everyone is getting upset. I think the prices are fair for teh auality of the product, unless we're saying Pentax makes cheap quality products now.
Having low prices was one of the few things Pentax had going for them in the past, and now with that gone, more people may start leaning toward other brands unless they somehow recover from this mess...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #93
Veteran Member

There are at least two problems with this situation - Pentax has said publicly that they are NOT charging more at the wholesale level to their customers - the retailers. The problem is this means it is NOT a currency or value of the dollar issue as so many from outside the US seem to falsely assert. Pentax is simply dictating retail price to its real customers (their words not mine) thereby jacking the prices up nearly 100% on several lenses. Pentax, nor its subsidiary in the US, gets not one additional cent because of this - so it is NOT a currency fluctuation issue.

Second, this roller coaster of prices is in no way sane or good for Pentax or its reputation.
09-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #94
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't think the price fluctuation is good for pentax. I got all bent out of shape the last time they did this and with me about ready to pull the trigger on a new pentax or system, they are driving me away again.
I'm still not over the last time they did this.

09-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #95
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I have contacted Pentax and I was assured that we will get a statement about this.
Yes, just as soon as they're able to dream something up that sounds plausible, then run it past the lawyers.
09-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #96
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
I don't think the price fluctuation is good for pentax. I got all bent out of shape the last time they did this and with me about ready to pull the trigger on a new pentax or system, they are driving me away again.
I'm still not over the last time they did this.
Poor you! Stay strong!
09-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #97
Inactive Account

Having low prices was one of the few things Pentax had going for them in the past, and now with that gone, more people may start leaning toward other brands unless they somehow recover from this mess...
K-30...anyone? That's about the best deal in the history of photography...
09-06-2012, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnLegrand Quote
K-30...anyone? That's about the best deal in the history of photography...
Yeah, sort of like cheap inkjet printers......until you need ink.

09-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #99
mee
Pentaxian

Yes.. This is a case of the corporate internal business issues getting in the way of the products.

Price for performance was the main reason I went with Pentax starting into the world of SLR cameras just 2 years ago.. I'm looking for my next camera body and all the TERRIBLE business practices (from a customer standpoint) have got me researching my other options.. I don't think the Pentax ship will be above water for many more years in the future if the same behavior exhibited this year continues.. They'll slowly suffocate their presence.. and there wasn't a large one with which to begin -- I had to order my K-x online and HOPE it was a good fit as there are no local dealers. I can't even rent a Pentax camera or lens locally. I can rent Canon, Nikon, or Sony, however and as reference.

There seems to be a larger 3rd party lens and accessory market for both Canon and Nikon.. and the second hand markets thrive nicely (since there are more people out there with those company's products). I didn't know enough to look at this as well.. in hindsight I would have gone with one of those others had I known what I know now.

That said, perhaps they will learn from this last round of truly dumbfounding pricing moves and the boat will sail into the sunset jury is still out.
09-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #100

Photos: Gallery
The prices went up again! WTF!
09-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Looks like all B&H lens prices are back to Maximum Assured Pricing...not just the DA*
Such BS.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisTrevino Quote
The prices went up again! WTF!
Seriously, WTF?!

All this makes one wonder how appealing the new products, specifically lenses, introduced at Photokina, or next year, are going to be if their prices are sky high with no anticipated downward movement since the maximum price must be assured.

Who the hell is this maximum crap pricing supposed to benefit? It's a pretty confounding question to try to answer. Some mythical brick and mortar, ma and pop shop? I guess there's some issue with different markets (US, Europe, Asia, etc.) having different pricing. That's the case for all kinds of products though, from produce to high-tech electronics: always has been always will be. Different markets are exactly that, different.

Who does this max crap pricing hurt? That's a much simpler question to answer: the customers (both current and potential ones), the few current retailers, and Pentax (their partnerships, their reputation, their sales figures, and on and on).

I would like some assurance that Pentax will be a viable option for staying and growing in their system. A policy that assures us customers will pay the maximum crap price is not a selling point to attract customers with, it's a policy that will alienate and repel customers to the maximum degree. What's it going to take for Pentax to realize this? Achieving an even smaller share of the DSLR market after instigating an exodus? High prices and lack of a complete catalog (FF DSLR, lenses, and flash) aren't going to do anything to help Pentax stand out in a good way when compared to the competition, which they already weren't any kind of threat to to begin with.

So disenchanting... And I usually feel quite warm and fuzzy about Pentax because I love my K-5 and current lenses. There's no way I'd consider buying into Pentax at these outrageous prices. The DA* f/2.8 zooms were my first two lens purchases but I paid almost half as much for them. Pentax already has enough other stuff working against them that effing with the prices, and insulting the intelligence of their customer base while at it, is about the worst thing they could do. The stuff already working against Pentax that's keeping people from buying into or staying in their system: having the least amount of third party support (be it for lenses, flashes, or rentals), being the only DSLR manufacturer without an upgrade path to full frame (well, aside from Olympus and their neglected 4/3 DSLRs), and having the slowest flash sync speed of just about any DSLR (not that important to everyone but it is to strobists, like me). Now they've got this max crap pricing egg splattered all over their face, AGAIN. Sad, really, really sad. It's as if Pentax wants to marginalize themselves even more in the DSLR market.

Last edited by TomTextura; 09-08-2012 at 01:52 PM.
09-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Us prices have been hundreds of $ cheaper then here in Canada for the longest time
Actually, when I bought my K-5 about a year and a half ago I ordered it from ProDigital2000 in Canada because they had the lowest price. I know quite a few other people in the US have done the same, even for some lens purchases.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yeah, sort of like cheap inkjet printers......until you need ink.
Exactly.

Last edited by TomTextura; 09-08-2012 at 01:52 PM.
09-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Such BS.

Seriously, WTF?!

All this makes one wonder how appealing the new products, specifically lenses, introduced at Photokina, or next year, are going to be if their prices are sky high with no anticipated downward movement since the maximum price must be assured.

Who the hell is this maximum crap pricing supposed to benefit? It's a pretty confounding question to try to answer. Some mythical brick and mortar, ma and pop shop? I guess there's some issue with different markets (US, Europe, Asia, etc.) having different pricing. That's the case for all kinds of products though, from produce to high-tech electronics: always has been always will be. Different markets are exactly that, different.

Who does this max crap pricing hurt? That's a much simpler question to answer: the customers (both current and potential ones), the few current retailers, and Pentax (their partnerships, their reputation, their sales figures, and on and on).

I would like some assurance that Pentax will be a viable option for staying and growing in their system. A policy that assures us customers will pay the maximum crap price is not a selling point to attract customers with, it's a policy that will alienate and repel customers to the maximum degree. What's it going to take for Pentax to realize this? Achieving an even smaller share of the DSLR market after instigating an exodus? High prices and lack of a complete catalog (FF DSLR, lenses, and flash) aren't going to do anything to help Pentax stand out in a good way when compared to the competition, which they already weren't any kind of threat to to begin with.

So disenchanting... And I usually feel quite warm and fuzzy about Pentax because I love my K-5 and current lenses. There's no way I'd consider buying into Pentax at these outrageous prices. The DA* f/2.8 zooms were my first two lens purchases but I paid almost half as much for them. Pentax already has enough other stuff working against them that effing with the prices, and insulting the intelligence of their customer base while at it, is about the worst thing they could do. The stuff already working against Pentax that's keeping people from buying into or staying in their system: having the least amount of third party support (be it for lenses, flashes, or rentals), being the only DSLR manufacturer without an upgrade path to full frame, having the slowest flash sync speed of just about any DSLR (not important to some but it is to me). Now they've got this max crap pricing egg splattered all over their face, AGAIN. Sad, really, really sad. It's as if Pentax wants to marginalize themselves even more in the DSLR market.
I have a K5, I have a good assortment of lenses that I have chosen. I am just shooting and having a good time - so far. I am very satisfied with the K5, so I am good for several years. Will it take that long for Pentax to get its act together? They are in the business of selling things. We are in the market to buy things, and the common denominator here is price. Price is too high, product does not sell, Pentax makes no profit. Pentax goes poof... Price is too low, Pentax makes profit but does not maximize profit.

Pentax does not have a real solid reseller infrastructure in place. Let's face it, they have about a dozen resellers and that's it - here in the US. Ned has his hands full just managing them - and his new corporate digs up on the umteenth floor of some posh office building. Previously they indicated that the price increase was for the resellers' profit. Well, Pentax USA had better start figuring it out, and quickly.

If Pentax is going to shoot itself in the foot, and amputate the other foot, that's fine - however, they are taking their customers with them. That is not fine by me.

Essentially, my checkbook is closed... Actually, its been closed (to Pentax) for a while now - last purchase was for a Sigma lens and the ones prior to that were for used Contax & Zeiss lenses. I have not purchased a new Pentax lens in a couple of years now.

Last edited by interested_observer; 09-08-2012 at 02:10 PM.
09-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The upshot is most Pentax users want good and cheap but are unwilling or unable to pony up more money now. Either wake up to the reality that things aren't cheap anymore and you have to set aside a more realistic expectation and amount of money to shoot Pentax or suck it up and live with the situation. Penny pinchers are the worst demographic for Pentax. After all why should Pentax pander to the cheapskates? Frankly try using other camera brands and you'll likely cough up even more dough...
09-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I have a K5, I have a good assortment of lenses that I have chosen. I am just shooting and having a good time - so far. I am very satisfied with the K5, so I am good for several years. Will it take that long for Pentax to get its act together?
Yeah, I like my Pentax gear a lot and am sure I can get good use out of it for a couple more years (specifically the K-5, the Limited glass I have will surely have a much longer lifespan). The big thing for me that's coming soon is that I will have to get a second body at the beginning of next year for my wife to use and for me to have as backup for paid gigs; it's a must. I also want to keep growing my lens collection but it might not be with Pentax lenses if these high prices stick. Additionally, I want very much to have a full frame camera by sometime in 2014, if not sooner. If Pentax makes that possible and their prices and IQ can be competitive with Nikon, then I will happily stay with Pentax. I guess what I'm saying, is I have between one and two years left with Pentax for sure, after that, I'm not so sure. There's so much to love about Pentax (the IQ, WR, SR, ergonomics, small size, and formerly price) that it'll be hard to ever leave to leave the brand but there are options I want that Pentax has yet to offer and which may mean I will have to eventually move on.

They are in the business of selling things. We are in the market to buy things, and the common denominator here is price. Price is too high, product does not sell, Pentax makes no profit. Pentax goes poof... Price is too low, Pentax makes profit but does not maximize profit.
Sounds about right.

If Pentax is going to shoot itself in the foot, and amputate the other foot, that's fine - however, they are taking their customers with them. That is not fine by me.
Not fine by me either.

Essentially, my checkbook is closed... Actually, its been closed (to Pentax) for a while now - last purchase was for a Sigma lens and the ones prior to that were for used Contax & Zeiss lenses. I have not purchased a new Pentax lens in a couple of years now.
Might be going that same route. I'd love to get a hold of some Zeiss glass, but not sure I could make do without AF, so not too likely for me. Sigma has the ultra-wide 8-16mm that's on my radar.