Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Pentax Lens Rebates now in effect, yet some prices nearly double!

The instant Pentax lens rebates that were announced on Thursday have now gone into effect at retailers (at least at the big two in NYC)...but wait a minute: the post-rebate lens prices are higher than the pre-rebate prices!

I've posted details below. I really hope that Pentax gets their game together...or that this is a mistake. See for yourself:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/197349-instant-rebates...ml#post2080515

Maybe I'm drawing conclusions too early here, and I really don't want to have to criticize Pentax, but their actions speak louder than their words! Nobody's going to buy their lenses if these prices stay.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-01-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
I noticed this one too. I had "suggested" that a college purchase one of the DA lens which also happened to go up in price.

On a few different sites; the prices of the four high end DA's are all now above $1300; including the often failed Pentax DA 16-50 f2.8 (in my perspective not even worth two hundred). One cannot help but notice the fact that the price increases only seems to have effected some of those higher end DA lens'. Most of the other Pentax lens remain (for now??) at exactly the same price. Could this have anything to do with new camera format releases - so please someone feel welcome to chime in about full frame. It could also mean a few new lens releases/replacements.

And even though I do presently own the Pentax DA 60-250; I also seriously queston if I'd pay the (about) nineteen hundred for the retail asking price. Also, with all of these price changes going all over the place - it could almost be an investment to purchase a bunch of them at the lower end price and then wait a month or two for them to go back up again.

Also, yet another reason for me to prefer the FA's
09-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does Ricoh/Pentax think Pentaxians are stupid? They tried to raise prices before like this and the lenses stopped selling. Claiming to have rebates, while at the same time significantly raising prices will not make such a price rise more palatable. The only thing I can hope is that there are new versions of these lenses coming out soon, they have stopped production on the old versions and are trying to make stock last until the new ones are ready to be released. Only wishful thinking, I am afraid.
09-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think that worse than high cost for certain lenses is the constant fluctuation of prices. That makes people not want to buy anything, rather than just something that is too expensive

09-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had no intention to buy anything, but this continuous pricing roller coaster makes me fearful regarding the future of Pentax.
09-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Maximum Assured Pricing strikes again! This is embarrassing and rather sad.

On the K-01 front things actually seem to have improved pricewise:

ADORAMA PRICES
K-01 Body Only - $546.95

K-01 + 40XS - $596.95

K-01 + 18-55 & 50-200 - $746.95

Last edited by Docrwm; 09-01-2012 at 06:16 AM.
09-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I was about to buy a Da* lens. I saw the news and I thought "lucky me!".... Boy was i wrong, what a kick in the downstairs!

09-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noVICE Quote
I was about to buy a Da* lens. I saw the news and I thought "lucky me!".... Boy was i wrong, what a kick in the downstairs!
Sorry. That's never fun.
09-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Does Ricoh/Pentax think Pentaxians are stupid?
Eh, yes.
09-01-2012, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Does Ricoh/Pentax think Pentaxians are stupid?
If this a USA action as it appears to be, another relevant question is: How long will Pentax Japan allow such inept and brand damaging management by it's USA distributor?
09-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Also, with all of these price changes going all over the place - it could almost be an investment to purchase a bunch of them at the lower end price and then wait a month or two for them to go back up again.

I said a very similar statement some time ago on the forums.. and I agree.. it is true.. you almost could play this like a stock, short selling your way into the lenses you want, with the way Pentax is running the pricing like a rollercoaster.
09-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I had no intention to buy anything, but this continuous pricing roller coaster makes me fearful regarding the future of Pentax.

Quite true. It's silly.
09-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
If this a USA action as it appears to be, another relevant question is: How long will Pentax Japan allow such inept and brand damaging management by it's USA distributor?

Clean house, Pentax!
09-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Could this be a result of the Big Three Pentax retailers in the US having wandered away from Maximum Assured Pricing? Could this simply be Pentax USA's way of reasserting MAP in the US?
09-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Could this be a result of the Big Three Pentax retailers in the US having wandered away from Maximum Assured Pricing? Could this simply be Pentax USA's way of reasserting MAP in the US?
Why would they play games with their customers? They are setting their retailers to look like the 'bad guy' with all of the price changes...

Besides, They HAVE to be selling more lenses at the non-MAP prices because the MAP prices are ridiculous.