Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Why would they play games with their customers? They are setting their retailers to look like the 'bad guy' with all of the price changes...

Besides, They HAVE to be selling more lenses at the non-MAP prices because the MAP prices are ridiculous.
None of the crazy changes with Maximum Assured Pricing have made any sense, so why look for it in this latest boneheaded move? They seem to be obessed with uniformity and retailers toeing their price line. This seems to be yet another move designed to reassert MAP regardless of its impact on their image IMHO.

09-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So, the price is the price, except when it is not.
The issue is as previously stated: the gear in question is not worth the MAP, is harder to get hold of and is now often higher priced than options from other manufacturers.
09-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
So, the price is the price, except when it is not.
The issue is as previously stated: the gear in question is not worth the MAP, is harder to get hold of and is now often higher priced than options from other manufacturers.
Sigma's always around . I think that with these MAP prices pentax da* lens sales will practically come to a standstill at major retailers.

What I don't understand is the fluctuation- if there's a MAP policy, why do prices end up dropping unevenly from store to store? Could Pentax be forcing retailers to run the high prices for a certain amount of time, and opening the floor up to negotiation after that? This kind of price fixing should be illegal.
09-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sigma's always around . I think that with these MAP prices pentax da* lens sales will practically come to a standstill at major retailers.

What I don't understand is the fluctuation- if there's a MAP policy, why do prices end up dropping unevenly from store to store? Could Pentax be forcing retailers to run the high prices for a certain amount of time, and opening the floor up to negotiation after that? This kind of price fixing should be illegal.
Agreed - As others have mentioned in the parallel thread on this topic, you don't see this sort of stuff with the Canon and Nikon pricing structures.
If I was a BAM store, I would be seriously gun-shy of grabbing any stock.

Unless it is deliberate to ensure that retailers are stuck with stock that they then have to move. Not good business sense post-2008, especially since Pentax is (at present, with the exception of the 645d) a consumer brand.

09-01-2012, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

I say we all jump on their Facebook page and go ape shit on their wall. http://www.facebook.com/Pentax

This is what I posted, Pentax your lens price jump disgusts me, makes Sony look like the good guy with their fully weather-sealed 16-50 f2.8 being priced at 750 compared to your 1425 dollar Pentax 16-50 f2.8.
09-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If it's really happening as you describe, I believe it *is* illegal. Pentax can demand certain pricing but cannot negotiate. Stupid but that's what the Supreme Court said.
09-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Loyalty is a two way street!

Well, I've been on the fence lately, deliberating if I should jump ship or not. Mainly because I don't think Pentax can survive as a serious player without a FF DSLR in their lineup. I want a FF DSLR.

This kind of pricing is pushing me (and I believe others in the same position) to jump ship. Loyalty is a two way street, and this move by Pentax is illojal.

09-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Amazing how every thread turns into a FF discussion .....

In other news, the original claim was that the new pricing policy would be good for retailers. Which retailer wants to sink in the mud of the new USA policy (or lack thereof)?? Maybe the big retailers are willing to struggle in the muck but the local retailers? I'd think they would want to be shut of all this nonsense.
09-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Price have not move in Canada, now some lenses are cheaper by 15-20%
http://www.photoprice.ca/cm/00001-00005/Pentax-Lenses.html
09-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does anyone at Pentax USA have any kind of Business or Marketing degree at all? This just does not make any sense, not that most anything Pentax does make sense. I thought that with Ricoh as owners, some adult supervision would be available and near by.

Announcing rebates that actually result in higher prices. What are they thinking of? That may be the problem, they are NOT thinking... either that or they went off their medication again.

Does anyone have ned's email address? Maybe when he come into work on Tuesday, a full inbox may have a slight impact.

I do like the FaceBook comment wall suggestion - however, I have never been inclined to ever signup for one...

Last edited by interested_observer; 09-01-2012 at 12:49 PM.
09-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Does anyone at Pentax USA have any kind of Business or Marketing degree at all? This just does not make any sense, not that most anything Pentax does make sense. I thought that with Ricoh as owners, some adult supervision would be available and near by.

Announcing rebates that actually result in higher prices. What are they thinking of? That may be the problem, they are NOT thinking... either that or they went off their medication again.

Does anyone have ned's email address? Maybe when he come into work on Tuesday, a full inbox may have a slight impact.

I do like the FaceBook comment wall suggestion - however, I have never been inclined to ever signup for one...

I agree with you in every particular. The problem is that not a peep has been heard from Ned in ages.
09-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree with you in every particular. The problem is that not a peep has been heard from Ned in ages.

The last public info from Mr Brunnel that I am aware of was an "explanation" of the new lens pricing strategy. As non-sensical as that explanation was, what has transpired since has been even worse. The wild girations (factor of nearly 2) in price don't match the stated policy, and statements from dealers about their pricing (B&H references to changes driven by negotiation) directly contradict Pentax's public statement.

Last edited by cfraz; 09-02-2012 at 04:35 AM.
09-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Price have not move in Canada, now some lenses are cheaper by 15-20%
Lenses by Pentax - Canadian and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
It sure doesn't make any sense for Pentax USA to raise prices above those in Canada. It is just as easy for US photographers to purchase from a company like Prodigital 2000 as from B and H and if the prices are significantly different, then that is exactly what they will do.

That said, I am not too worried/. In the end, lenses will be a glut on the market again and Pentax will have to cave and lower prices to what the market will bear. The DA *16-50 will sell at 750 to 800 dollars. Higher than that and people will look at Sigma/Tamron options. If too many lenses are marked exorbitantly, then people will look for a more reasonable brand go to Canon, Nikon, Sony or maybe even Olympus.
09-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Sigma's always around .
But if Pentax keeps twisting around pricing like this, *Pentax* won't be around.
09-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
But if Pentax keeps twisting around pricing like this, *Pentax* won't be around.
Wait for Photokina. I have a feeling we're going to be wow'd!