Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
You can't compare a f2.8 lens to a f4 lens, crop factor is not relevant to the f stop. That's like comparing a 200mm f4 to a 300mm f2.8, big difference.
I'm not sure I am reading you correctly but a 200/2.8 on APS-C is equivalent to a 300/4 on FF.

PS: And for the DA*50-135 to be 'equivalent' (more or less) to a 70-200 on FF it would need to be an f/1.8 Zoom. That's not quite accurate considering the FOV of the 50-135 is the same as a 75-202.5 on FF.

Last edited by bossa; 09-02-2012 at 04:31 PM.
09-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I'm not sure I am reading you correctly but a 200/2.8 on APS-C is equivalent to a 300/4 on FF.

PS: And for the DA*50-135 to be 'equivalent' (more or less) to a 70-200 on FF it would need to be an f/1.8 Zoom. That's not quite accurate considering the FOV of the 50-135 is the same as a 75-202.5 on FF.
I thought the 60-250 f4 was being compared to a 70-200mm f2.8 which seemed odd to me. Sorry for the confusion.
09-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #63
Veteran Member

My point was about equivalence and not so much the 60-250 vs 70-200. Obvioulsy a 60-250 APS-C zoom has the same FOV to a 90-375 zoom on FF so there's no similarity at all between those two zooms.
09-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #64
mee
Veteran Member

Perhaps they simply drive a hard bargain.. and instead of bargaining down, they bargain up... "Take the DEAL or the price is going UP!!"

If anything, they've saved me at least 750+ dollars for the time being.. as I've currently decided to wait until Photokina to see what the heck Pentax is thinking.. if it still stinks like 3 day old fish then.. I will just save my pennies and upgrade to another brand later next year (unless BF poses a deal).

Which is a shame because there is nothing inherently wrong with Pentax's technology.. they simply have a bassackwards team at the wheel right now steering the ship ever slowly towards the rocks..

All of my gear will function tomorrow if Pentax is no more.. great. But the issue is I'm stuck with what I have and there are lesser options as time moves onward when 3rd parties see the drinking pond drying.

09-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
WTF! Most of our posts complaining about prices on Pentax's Facebook page has been deleted! The more recent ones are still there, maybe they haven't came around to deleting those yet. This is ridiculous, they are ignoring us.
09-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
WTF! Most of our posts complaining about prices on Pentax's Facebook page has been deleted! The more recent ones are still there, maybe they haven't came around to deleting those yet. This is ridiculous, they are ignoring us.
You expected their marketing people, however inept, to leave them up for the whole world to see?
09-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #67
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You expected their marketing people, however inept, to leave them up for the whole world to see?
Which would allude to these after-rebate prices to be planned and not a pricing error as some have suggested here.

09-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Which would allude to these after-rebate prices to be planned and not a pricing error as some have suggested here.
Possibly, or simply that they haven't formulated a response yet because it is a National Holiday in the US today.
09-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #69
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Possibly, or simply that they haven't formulated a response yet because it is a National Holiday in the US today.
Possibly. One could also assume if there really was an official response being readied they'd state so instead of simply deleting posts and appearing to ignore the issue.

Either way I've decided this rumor place is largely a pit of wasted time.. we all howl, bellyache, and guess what is next when we could be out using what we have currently.. I think, in the future, I'll try to make my response to Pentax with my wallet instead.. it seems the only thing to which they listen. So I'm going outside.
09-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Possibly. One could also assume if there really was an official response being readied they'd state so instead of simply deleting posts and appearing to ignore the issue.

Either way I've decided this rumor place is largely a pit of wasted time.. we all howl, bellyache, and guess what is next when we could be out using what we have currently.. I think, in the future, I'll try to make my response to Pentax with my wallet instead.. it seems the only thing to which they listen. So I'm going outside.
They have never announced that an official response was being formulated, they have always just posted one (if, on the rare occasions they do, they post one).

Taking pics is the best release.
09-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, I own a 16-50 and it certainly isn't perfect -- I would be fine with Pentax releasing a second version -- but it is nowhere nearly as bad as you make out. First off, as Germar says, optically it isn't too bad, seems like SDM is prone to fail in many copies which is a bad deal. Second, Pentax has made a lot worse lenses in the past. Some of the uncoated lenses from the past were pretty bad with regard to flare resistance. My original kit lens, the FA J 28-80 was atrocious, with really poor contrast, muddy colors and very prone to flare.

Anyway, I'll keep shooting with mine until Pentax comes out with something with similar width and sealing.
Best instance of "damning with faint praise" I've seen yet on this forum!
09-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #72
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
According to B&H, the new web prices are dictated by Pentax, so we can stop blaming retailers. In-store prices are in fact lower after the rebates, but they can't be advertised online because of MAP. In addition, they said "Pentax has no chance of selling any of their pro glass at these [MAP] prices."

So I guess that means we have to be patient and wait until Pentax realizes the size of the hole that they're digging themselves into.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
According to B&H, the new web prices are dictated by Pentax, so we can stop blaming retailers. In-store prices are in fact lower after the rebates, but they can't be advertised online because of MAP. In addition, they said "Pentax has no chance of selling any of their pro glass at these [MAP] prices."

So I guess that means we have to be patient and wait until Pentax realizes the size of the hole that they're digging themselves into.
Wait, that means that if I buy a ticket to NYC and buy a lens at B&H it may well cost less (airfare included) than if I buy it on the internet and have them ship it to me? That's insane.
09-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #74
Veteran Member

I believe you can call them.
09-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #75
Veteran Member

645D still $9,995 at Pentax' own webstore

I've never seen an imaging company advertise an instant rebate, then refuse to honor it.
Inaddition Pentax refuses to let vendors honor instant cash off at point of purchase rebates too.

Ricoh is utterly clueless !!!

I don't blame Pentax, they just do as they are told just as vendors are now doing thanks to Ricoh.

Look at Pentax own webstore, 645D is still $9995, not the new $8795.

PentaxWebstore.com:645D 645D

"645D In Stock Ships within 1 business day

$9,995.95"

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote