Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Best instance of "damning with faint praise" I've seen yet on this forum!
Well, to be truthful, the 16-50 is my most used lens. I love the colors, the contrast, my copy is plenty sharp, and the auto focus is decently fast. The sealing is the real deal. However, I know there have been plenty of photogs who have struggled to find good copies of this lens, or else with their focus motors burning out.

I just don't want to be hyperbolic on the side of the 16-50 saying it is the most awesome lens ever, in order to counter someone saying it is the worst lens Pentax ever created. My copy is very good. I wouldn't trade my copy for a Sigma 17-50 or a Tamron 17-50. But there is still room for improvement.

09-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Ricoh is utterly clueless !!!
Maybe it is just Pentax USA you are mad about.

The website you are referring to is a Pentax USA website. We've seen worse from them than being slow to implement a rebate scheme.
09-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Pentax lenses selling in Australia have always been at the price levels you guys are bellyaching about. I don't know why the USA have had it so good for so long but now is probably a good time to re-evaluate your relationship with Pentax. I was considering buying a K-3 and keeping a selection of lenses but my Nikon D800E is so good I doubt if I'll even do that.

Last edited by bossa; 09-04-2012 at 12:01 AM.
09-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Wait, that means that if I buy a ticket to NYC and buy a lens at B&H it may well cost less (airfare included) than if I buy it on the internet and have them ship it to me? That's insane.
Depends on what cab fare runs you.

09-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Pentax lenses selling in Australia have always been at the price levels you guys are bellyaching about. I don't know the USA have had it so good for so long but now is probably a good time to re-evaluate your relationship with Pentax. I was considering buying a K-3 and keeping a selection of lenses but my Nikon D800E is so good I doubt if I'll even do that.
If Pentax can't pull back users like bossa or encourage pros like benjikan to use their "new 135 camera" then that's quite a problem...

but anyways, yeah I agree with the above statement. I always wished we had USA prices here in this backwater tropical country. The discontinued K-5 still sells here for a rather ridiculous equivalent price of $1,226, while there it's around $900 =)) and the cheapest lens, the DA 35 f2.4? USA=$200, RP=$404 lol.
09-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
............ here in this backwater tropical country. The discontinued K-5 still sells here for a rather ridiculous equivalent price of $1,226,.........l.
Same in this backwater temperate country
even the K20 is still found new down here

Quite enjoying all the wailing and gnashing from up north lol
09-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The funny thing is that USA was for many years way cheaper than europe about the FA ltd.

Now Europe is cheaper !

DA 70 cost 499€ (627$ with the current 1.2575 dollar for 1 euro), a B&H cost 699$.

USA is now in decline

09-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
The funny thing is that USA was for many years way cheaper than europe about the FA ltd.

Now Europe is cheaper !

DA 70 cost 499€ (627$ with the current 1.2575 dollar for 1 euro), a B&H cost 699$.

USA is now in decline
And €499 includes VAT (sales tax); VAT excluded, it's around €415 i.e. US$525.
09-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #84
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Looks like all B&H lens prices are back to Maximum Assured Pricing...not just the DA*

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like all B&H lens prices are back to Maximum Assured Pricing...not just the DA*
How absolutely frustrating. Prices going up and down so significantly makes it really difficult to actually purchase a lens for fear of a drastic price change in either direction. One doesn't know when the right time to buy is.

I really hope Pentax Ricoh gets it together with more consistent pricing. They aren't likely to gain new customers or keep the ones they have if they continue this way.
09-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #86
Pentaxian

I made the mistake of selling my K-5 and lenses last year. Decided to re-purchase earlier this year. While waiting for funds from the last items being sold off, this price increase occurred.

Still haven't repurchased the K-5 as I cannot afford to replace the glass with current pricing. Lens pricing has made me re-consider a split system. Multi-thousand $US Pentax purchase on hold or possibly lost because of this tomfoolery.

I will not be getting rid of my D700. So Nikon may get additional business in the end.

Loss for me. Loss for Pentax. Not happy.
09-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #87
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I have contacted Pentax and I was assured that we will get a statement about this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
09-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
How absolutely frustrating. Prices going up and down so significantly makes it really difficult to actually purchase a lens for fear of a drastic price change in either direction. One doesn't know when the right time to buy is.

I really hope Pentax Ricoh gets it together with more consistent pricing. They aren't likely to gain new customers or keep the ones they have if they continue this way.
I agree - Pentax makes some good gear, and I would hate to see them lose market share.
09-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

still shaking my head.... some brain trust ricotax/pentarico has leading their retail sales division...
for pentax to retain market share with dslr(s) and lens(es)...they must be price competitive which is
of course obvious, and manufacture quality product(s).(sdm issues have been well documented... fwiw...
for the prices now being quoted... they should offer a five year warranty......
this pricing roller coaster of late is puzzling and disconcerting.
.........there are plenty of fine lenses, new and used, to be had for our dslrs.... simply boycotting pentax
until they've regained sanity is the most powerful tool we can employ as pentaxians....
09-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I have contacted Pentax and I was assured that we will get a statement about this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Please say it isn't so. Not another corporate-speak statement that proves out to have no connection to reality. Well, I guess it will help keep the page hits at PF up.

Now that think about this latest round of lens pricing madness, I can see both bad news and in a twisted way, good news in the madness.

The bad news is that it demonstrates Pentax USA still have not figured out how to sell their stuff. I'm sure their dealers are fed up to here with the nonsense and it must be a huge disincentive to carry the Pentax line. Come on, Pentax, this is elementary business practice - get up to speed or let somebody else take the reins.

The "good" news is that the biggest increases are on the DA* zooms, and I have no interest in buying one of those until they solve the SDM reliability issues.