Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I only have one real WR lens: the 18-135. I thought a superzoom would be the only logical choice because when it's moist/rainy/dusty I don't want to have to change lenses either.
So you fully submerged the 18-135? That's interesting, I thought the "WR" lenses weren't necessarily quite as well-sealed as the * lenses.

09-05-2012, 02:27 AM   #152

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
You're not actually disagreeing with what I've said.
I think you'll find that I did. The difference between getting the photos I wanted and not getting the photos can not be overrated - it's the entire point of the exercise. And I apologise for not stressing the nature of the rain sufficiently:

torrential 
1. pertaining to or having the nature of a torrent.
2. resembling a torrent in rapidity or violence.

torrent 
a rushing, violent, or abundant and unceasing stream of anything.

Torrential rain != softly dripping water

@gazonk: I was using a DA*50-135 for most of the day, I never experienced the SDM issue with any of my DA* lenses - guess I got lucky.

@clavius: I derive a ridiculous amount of pleasure from that as well, especially on the couple of occasions when moments before I was being sneered at for brandishing a Pentax. Childish perhaps, but you have to enjoy the little things...

Anyway, I can't wait for the upcoming announcements! Come on Pentax, show us what you've got!
09-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
I think you'll find that I did. The difference between getting the photos I wanted and not getting the photos can not be overrated - it's the entire point of the exercise. And I apologise for not stressing the nature of the rain sufficiently:

torrential 

torrent 

@gazonk: I was using a DA*50-135 for most of the day, I never experienced the SDM issue with any of my DA* lenses - guess I got lucky.

@clavius: I derive a ridiculous amount of pleasure from that as well, especially on the couple of occasions when moments before I was being sneered at for brandishing a Pentax. Childish perhaps, but you have to enjoy the little things...

Anyway, I can't wait for the upcoming announcements! Come on Pentax, show us what you've got!
Have you read my later post? Do you know that free-falling water is... free-falling water?
09-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #154

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Have you read my later post? Do you know that free-falling water is... free-falling water?
I did indeed, and although that as usual I agree with most of what you said, I was referring to the earlier comment - the one I quoted. Water driven by, shall we say 'spirited' weather is not the same as softly dripping water.

09-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #155
Veteran Member

I did indeed, and although that as usual I agree with most of what you said, I was referring to the earlier comment - the one I quoted. Water driven by, shall we say 'spirited' weather is not the same as softly dripping water.
This might be a word definition problem, the way I've learned it, it's not a storm unless there's a significant amount of wind involved. Rain drops are governed by gravity only, unless there's wind.

Here, that should clarify what I mean:
IP Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
09-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #156
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

torrential 

torrent 

I was caught in a downpour while hiking with my K100 and it didn't survive. Didn't really even shoot with it much after the rain started, but I guess enough that the water got through the seals and into the electronics. On the other hand, I have shot in heavy rain with K10, K20, K7 and K5 and DA * lenses and had no issues. To me, this is a significant improvement over prior/non-sealed cameras. I am not really wanting to shoot underwater dolphin shows, just to be able to know that I can go out in inclement weather without worrying about my camera and lenses.
09-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax has some good weathersealing, as illustrated by Heie below:

Lots of WR images here:

Re: Post your WR picture: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Re: Post your WR picture: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-05-2012 at 09:36 PM.
09-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone want to wager on the actual announcement date/time?..... less than two weeks out from Photokina commencement. Is Pentax Germany going to get all the fun, or are we going to see a Japan announcement ahead of the event?
09-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #159
Veteran Member

I'm going to go with the 'new' rumor of 9/9... the only problem with that date is that it's a Sunday.

I'm being optimistic... that Pentax is going to announce it's cameras before the Nikon D600 gets all the press.
09-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Isn't one year warranty typical in USA?
Perhaps but I don't have to like it ;~) I do like the Sigma 3-6 year warranty.
09-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #161
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Pentax has some good weathersealing, as illustrated by Hele2 below:
is there any sense in such tests?
09-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Still a one-year warranty. Why does Pentax have so little confidence in their products?
Ask Pentax US, in Canada it is 2 years
I think the lenses should be 5 myself and 2 on bodies
09-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #163
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
is there any sense in such tests?
There is, in building at least some confidence in the user that the gear will withstand conditions he/she would otherwise avoid for fear of ruining the valuable gear.
09-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
There is, in building at least some confidence in the user that the gear will withstand conditions he/she would otherwise avoid for fear of ruining the valuable gear.
I agree. and in a user sense. Seeing a fellow Pentax user (not some guy in some lab doing well-controlled tests) unleash nature, however simple, on "sealed" delicate electronics is a feat a lot of us aren't willing to risk. Heie practically risked dumping thousands of dollars' worth of equipment to instill that confidence in the flagship camera and lenses...

uh i think i just repeated what Ash said haha
09-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #165
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And it really shows those 7D owners what's up.