Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WR is underrated... my *SS. Pentax rules...

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:47 PM.
09-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #167
Veteran Member

The 5th is nearly over so it looks like it will not be today. Maybe they will do a Sunday announcement. It will be different.

Anyhow my guess for the 9 items being announced:
1. K300 or K-z a budget entry level dslr with price of about $500 usd. Based on the K-r but with the 16MP sesnor.
2. K5n has the K5 body with the guts from the K30 and maybe even a tilt screen. Maybe even a little bit more processing power and 14 bit processor. Price at $1,2000.
3. K3 a new pro-level body. It will have improved AF system with more points (maybe 29) and other AF improvements over the K5n and K30. It will have more processing power and large buffer to handle more fps. It will have dual card slots. It will have a new hydbrid viewfinder with both optical and electronic. Lower (iso 50 and higher iso.
4. DA560 lens
5. DA*16-85 lens with new ring type AF motor.
Other stuff will be non-Kmount dslr stuff so I really don't care.

Dave
09-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
This might be a word definition problem, the way I've learned it, it's not a storm unless there's a significant amount of wind involved. Rain drops are governed by gravity only, unless there's wind.

Here, that should clarify what I mean:
IP Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
From my past personal experience I would rate K-7 and K-5 with DA*16-50 and 60-250 as IP4, shoot all day long. IP5, I would start paying attention to what was going on.
This is just me,YMMV.
09-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as the new models coming up... USB3 would be a nice addition, I mean, speed is life.

09-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
As far as the new models coming up... USB3 would be a nice addition, I mean, speed is life.
Amen to that. Faster write speed, not just processing and buffer, would be great.
09-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #171
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh noo. Pentax is doomed

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
The 5th is nearly over so it looks like it will not be today. Maybe they will do a Sunday announcement. It will be different.
2. K5n has the K5 body with the guts from the K30 and maybe even a tilt screen. Maybe even a little bit more processing power and 14 bit processor. Price at $1,2000.

Dave
From my past personal experience I would rate K-7 and K-5 with DA*16-50 and 60-250 as IP4, shoot all day long. IP5, I would start paying attention to what was going on.
This is just me,YMMV.
There are no IP guidelines for day long water (ecept IP8).. I think K-5 (or 7) and the DA* will ( I think) also survive the minimum of 3 minutes of IP5 conditions, maybe even IP6 but for avid shooters IP5 or IP6 are useless as a shoot usually lasts longer than 3 minutes.
I draw the line where it makes any sense in being out there shooting....
09-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Oh noo. Pentax is doomed

What, again?

09-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #173
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I guess I'm out of touch.....my K5 is still wonderful to me...Otis too...and if I am hoping for anything in the next few days, it is for Fuji to announce a FF X10. Might as well dream, you guys are doing it!

Regards!
09-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
There is, in building at least some confidence in the user that the gear will withstand conditions he/she would otherwise avoid for fear of ruining the valuable gear.
Exactly the intent. And moreso, not the user, because *I* had confidence in it, but to those who own Pentax and hadn't ventured outside yet, and those who never heard of Pentax and/or scoff at the name for having the gall to still make cameras (the nerve of Pentax...).

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I agree. and in a user sense. Seeing a fellow Pentax user (not some guy in some lab doing well-controlled tests) unleash nature, however simple, on "sealed" delicate electronics is a feat a lot of us aren't willing to risk. Heie practically risked dumping thousands of dollars' worth of equipment to instill that confidence in the flagship camera and lenses...
Yes he did

I've been accused of being an undercover Pentax agent, but I can assure everyone that that is not the case lol. That is my personal gear, which I am just extremely confident in. And yes, they are still doing perfectly fine

Just wait for the winter version of the test

-Heie
09-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #175
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks very promising ;-)
09-06-2012, 02:37 AM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
the shock will probably freeze more 7D fans out there.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Looks very promising ;-)
Which one? K-3? K-5 MkII?
09-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Oh noo. Pentax is doomed

There are no IP guidelines for day long water (ecept IP8).. I think K-5 (or 7) and the DA* will ( I think) also survive the minimum of 3 minutes of IP5 conditions, maybe even IP6 but for avid shooters IP5 or IP6 are useless as a shoot usually lasts longer than 3 minutes.
I draw the line where it makes any sense in being out there shooting....
Any time limit in such a rating is kinda weird IMO. I have spent hours shooting in IP4, no problem.
A roll of toilet paper can survive IP4 for the specified 5 minutes.
09-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #178
Veteran Member

This is just me,YMMV.
It's actually more like 2, and they know why they're not rating it.

As soon as you apply enough pressure, you'll be able to penetrate the seals. Sure, depends on where you put that pressure on.
If you're keen on wasting your camera, try the flash housing area (don't do it!). And like I said, likelyhood of seal breach rises. The seals will be able to stand some pressure since they're not made of sugar .
For a good test, take 100 cameras and use the exact same procedure. You'll find failure rates increasing rapidly with pressure applied.
09-06-2012, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Exactly the intent. And moreso, not the user, because *I* had confidence in it, but to those who own Pentax and hadn't ventured outside yet, and those who never heard of Pentax and/or scoff at the name for having the gall to still make cameras (the nerve of Pentax...).

Yes he did

I've been accused of being an undercover Pentax agent, but I can assure everyone that that is not the case lol. That is my personal gear, which I am just extremely confident in. And yes, they are still doing perfectly fine

-Heie
I find it highly suspicous that at the time Ned disappeared you showed up on the Pentax scene. Come to think of it, I've never seen you and Ned together in the same room........
09-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #180
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I find it highly suspicous that at the time Ned disappeared you showed up on the Pentax scene. Come to think of it, I've never seen you and Ned together in the same room........
Ned is back?