Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2012, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
a) it will have a new lens mount, smaller than the K. 3 new lenses will be announced for the mount.
Wow, I certainly hope this is untrue

09-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As far as a lower level than the K-30 DSLR goes, the only way it is possible is if Pentax can get a much cheaper sensor than the one the K-30 has in it with the same physical size. They could remove WR but I feel that would be a big marketing mistake as it is the #1 Pentax selling point over the competition and in keeping WR it could share the K-30 body which would eliminate the need for a second assembly line and different parts. That seems to be what Nikon and Canon do for their entry level, same identical camera, cheaper sensor since that's the primary source of camera cost. Most of the features are software now which cost nothing to add and the external controls don't normally cost enough to be worth the sales loss removing them would cause. They could also go with a slightly slower processor if it would make a big difference but I don't know what percentage the cost of processors are.
Canikon also seems to keep old bodies in production at cheaper prices for WAY longer than one would expect, Pentax can't do that, not enough capacity. So you can really only compare the latest round of Canikons to Pentax.

They also can't go too low since they just released an expensive bridge camera that would be sitting awfully close to anything under a K-30.

I just hope they don't pull the same crap as Canikon and have so many conflicting bodies available at the same time that a comparison tool on the website becomes mandatory to even figure out which order they go in and what the differences are.

EDIT: A note on too many choices. http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/08/02/can-too-many-choices-lead-to...here-are-a-few

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 09-04-2012 at 10:21 AM.
09-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Most of the features are software now which cost nothing to add
Software developers don't have to get paid?
09-04-2012, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

If it is 9 cameras, then there will surely be P&S included in the release.

If at the end of all of this the K30 is left as the entry level DSLR, then Pentax wins for having the most "robust" entry level model. I could see them doing this, as it would give them an advantage when people are deciding between Canikon and Pentax. Still it would be an interesting choice and it could mean some really good things for the top-of-the-line models and what they will offer.

Overall, though, I just have to say that I was really pleased to log on today at lunch and discover that the September craziness has begun. Here is to 20 days of crazy rumors.

09-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #35
Veteran Member

It could be nine but would have to be both Pentax and Ricoh cameras and include P&S etc

Edit: and inc colour variations
09-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
My predictions is they won't release a K-300 type camera because their plan is to drop the K-30 to 600 by the time they announce a K-5 replacement so that the K-30 is the entry-level camera.
I would love that! I'm planning to sell my Olympus EP-1 and some lenses and I'm saving for the K30 since its announcement!
09-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #37
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Wich timezone?

09-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #38
Veteran Member

One of the cameras to be announced will be the K02, a replacement for the mirrorless K01.

a) it will have a new lens mount, smaller than the K. 3 new lenses will be announced for the mount.
b) it will be able to use K mount lenses via an announced electronic capable adapter
c) Sensor will be APS 16mp
d) An accessory EVF will be available for an extra charge
e) The mirrorless body will have a hotshoe which can be used for the optional EVF or a flash. A port
will be available for off-camera flash.
f) A port will available for shutter actuation via cable.

Hopefully this will be true.

Here is my list of new cameras to expect and it is only a guess:
1. K-300 or K-z
2. K5n
3. K3
4. Q2
5. K-02
then three Ricoh cameras

The three dslr cameras will make the dslr line-up consist of 4 cameras with the low-end being price at just below $500 usd, the K-30 price at $750 usd, K-5n price at $1,200 and the K3 price at $1,500. This will give a nice spread of prices and features.

Then at CP+ we will see a FF K-mount price at just above $2,000 and the 645D ver. 2.

I guess we will know most of it tomorrow. I am just guessing we will see a lot of people complaining about the lack of FF in the 9 cameras being announced. Then again maybe one of the Ricoh cameras will be a FF K-mount modual.

Dave
09-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Software developers don't have to get paid?
Software is paid for by the high end cameras it is introduced in, to add it to an entry level camera doesn't increase the cost of that camera though it can greatly increase the value of it.
09-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #40
mee
Veteran Member

K-300 cannot be WR there would be little differences between it and the K-30 for one.. and I doubt they'd produce a new WR body specially for it (since it obviously won't have the 2nd wheel and thus will be a different body that will need to be designed for WR).
09-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Software is paid for by the high end cameras it is introduced in, to add it to an entry level camera doesn't increase the cost of that camera though it can greatly increase the value of it.

The above is true and helpful if we assume that:

* The hardware to run the high-end software is needed in the entry level model anyway and ....

* All of the SW development is recouped by the high end model and ....

* We do not want to create a market position based, in part, on SW capabilities.

Sounds to me very unlikely that all three are simultaneously true.
09-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #42
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
This assumes that the hardware platforms of these two cameras are the same. If they are not, extra development will be needed to make the software work on the cheaper platform. Also, the K-2000, an entry-level camera, was the first camera to feature a redesigned UI. So new development takes place for these models, too.

But then again I'm not sure what kind of features you have in mind.
09-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #43
Banned

One of the cameras to be announced will be the K02, a replacement for the mirrorless K01.

In addition to possibly; but the word replacement - not yet.
09-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #44
Pentaxian

What kind of crystal ball do you use... the old fake glass ones or clear quartz one with lots of bubbles?
09-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #45
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We've been informed by an anonymous source that there will be a large number of press releases (not 9 cameras, and not tomorrow) soon We will be able to post the news as soon as it is allowed to do so.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: