Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Benjikan 'predicted' these :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/196133-my-li...rediction.html

Sounds nice enough to me as a K5 replacement.
Fuji Xpro1 like ISO performance and sharper w/o an AA filter.
The Sony 24mp aps-c sensor has not been showing good high iso performance on the D3200, A77, NEX7.
Perhaps a new sensor algorithm and no aa-flter can 'buy' back one or more stops of this high iso performance.

QuoteOriginally posted by MCR Quote
I have K-5 with all FA Limited. Great gears, I know... but since I bought Fuji X100 (4 months ago) I never use Pentax. Why? Because X100 is smaller, lighter and X100 is always with me. I try Pentax Q (is not a substitue of DSLR), K01 (I have to have a EVF or OVF). Few weeks ago I try OM-D and in my opinion it is a great solution: size similar to X100 but with many lens. If Pentax don't show something like OM-D (what about great GXR with K-mount?) I sell all of my pentax gear and I change to Olympus. I don't want to FF (I use 5DMkII for 5-6 months too) and for me the most important things are: size, weight and few good, small lens. Why not X-Pro1 with M-mount? Because Fuji hasn't Focus Peaking. That's why.
C'mon Pentax, give me small version of my ME-F...
Coming from a m4/3 user (G3), I'd suggest you weigh your needs.
Yes, the m4/3s seems to be at this fine balance between performance, size, weight and even provides some amount of DOF control.
I sometimes wonder if its good enough from me to just sell off my Pentax stuff.
But then, when I do stuff that needs the best IQ (eg. for large printing) like landscapes where there is lots of pulling/pushing of the pixels, the o/p from the K5 still shines way above m4/3.
Then there is also the versatility of the K5 advanced amateur body for fast operation, low chroma noise, DR and high iso performance in all situations (be it in dimly lit temples; a dark alley; night markets, etc).
Conclusion from me, just keep both, and keep the m4/3 relatively cheap, light, but good (eg. 14/2.5; 20/1.7; 45/1.8 and no more).

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
None of the current Pentax mirrorless models make sense to me. The K-01 has no viewfinder and could just as easily contain a mirror, which would allow it to be more advanced (phase-detect AF for example). It's just full not good enough for what it is, IMHO. The Q is better as a concept, and could be fun, but still... interchangeable lenses on such a small sensor make little sense to me.

I think I'd much rather buy a Lumix GX1 than any of these. I think the mirrorless ship has sailed and Pentax is not aboard.

The K-01 does what it does. Taking good quality photos in a pns like way of use. Don't forget that its a ver1/.0 product for Pentax with lots of styling queues from Mark Newton. A future product will certainly be an improvement, just like what other makers have achieved. (eg. EP1, EPL1 AF was horrible; initial NEX3 had lousy interface and poorer sensor o/p and no peaking, etc)

Q is not just a concept, and interchangeable lenses on a small sensor can be a good thing indeed.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/194467-pentax-q-real-world-user-review.html

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

There's been too many design mistakes and pratfalls with the APS sized mirrorless to consider that ship sailed, IMO. Fuji's XPro1 is priced as high as the rumour'ed D600 FF and lacks good focusing systems, e.g. no focus peaking and AF is slow i think. if one believes everything they read on dpreview Sony's Nex cameras in general lack a UI that is easy to understand. The UI in their DSLRs and RX100 is reportedly much better. Also, the Nex7 has color casts with some wide angle lenses - not sure exactly what that is all about.

In short, i think Pentax still has a chance to board the APS mirrorless ship prior to the next sailing. I don't think the Q mount and K01 are going to be around long term and I worry about Pentax's viability with just the K mount. It doesn't seem very amenable to fast focusing design techniques. Here's a chance for Pentax to design a new mount with the kind of features in current demand. A diversified range of products is the best way to ensure survival over the next 10 years.

Post script: Mirrorless is here to stay as a category. Some companies are already working on phase focusing with hardware embedded in the sensor.
Agree to this.

The 'lucky' part is that no-one seems to have the 'killer' MILC to date. The OMD is perhaps the closest to one though.
But for APS-C MILC, no-one has it all right.
Xpro1 : quirky interface and awful AF and lag; expensive
NEX : short of a good range of v. good fast primes; flange distance seems to be giving issues for native WA lenses on higher MP sensors; Big lens/small body form factor
Samsung : perhaps the best aps-c MILC offering if not for its lack of marketing and not that awe inspiring sensor (and perhaps a few other quirks : v. large RAW file; slow write times; so-so AF).
Nikon : A half hearted attempt; no fast lenses.
Canon : Another half hearted attempt, though they may turn this around with an advanced model above the EOS-M

Pentax still has a chance to make it to the boat for APS-C MILC offerings.

Last edited by pinholecam; 09-04-2012 at 10:21 PM.
09-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
iPhoto is already taken. I think they could create quite a following by calling it iPentax: a merging of the unlikeliest sorts.
iPentax is already taken (iPentax - Indian Pentaxians Forum - Index)
09-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #93
Pentaxian

XPRO1 has another massive drawback to me: focus by wire.
What a bunch of idiots to use such thing on that class of camera.
No manual focus at all wouldn't be any loss. What a joke
09-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Did you see the Samsung MF 36mm x 36mm prototype?

Is this Samsung's first medium format digital camera? -- Engadget
No, I had missed that one, thanks for mentioning it. But I see it is an old rumour. Perhaps playing around or providing some test material for new sensors.

09-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #95
Veteran Member

So where are these 9 products?
09-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #96

There was a comment on the FB Pentax Croatia page on monday made by a company representative that suggested there won't be a FF revealed. Fans were trying to get more information from the representative and he commented that he has to warn us that the most expected product won't arrive this fall but there are interesting products to be announced.
09-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BeerBelly Quote
There was a comment on the FB Pentax Croatia page on monday made by a company representative that suggested there won't be a FF revealed.
That's pretty obvious. What I hope for, if the K-3 is a "professional APS-C camera", is that they present a 16-50 successor and new versions of the other *-lenses with a better AF motor. And a 645d Mk II which is smaller, faster and less expensive than the first version. Then they won't need a FF announcement yet to prove that Ricoh is serious about Pentax.

09-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
I think ogl already said he might have misunderstood some parts....

9 and 5 seem coming up... so a few possibilities:
Nine announcements on the fifth - stil possible, the fifth had hardly begun in parts of the world
Five announcmenets on the ninth, although that would be sunday but what better day to attract attanention, everybody looking for an alternatve to spending spare time with your in-laws.

an unknown number of announcments on the fith day of the nineth month
an unknown number of announcements on the ninth of the fifth... that would be the FF to be announced in 2013 .. ahem...

9 bodies in 5 different colourschemes....

9+5 = 14 = first day of fourth month = 1st day of april....
09-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #99
Veteran Member

The OP, OGL, stated 9 cameras!

And I still think (hope) it's going to be just one camera that can be modified in 9 different ways. A digital version of the Pentax LX. It is the LX's anniversary after all. With interchangeable viewfinders, maybe even an interchangeable mount. Who knows, maybe even the sensor module can be changed, so they can issue a FF sensor for it later down the road?! (When they are allowed to use that FF sensor too.)
09-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #100
Pentaxian

What makes you think ogl can't be wrong, even if he (supposedly) got some valid information in some time?
09-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #101
Veteran Member

I think people need to reign in expectations pretty sharply. Pentax has never over-delivered at Photokina. It has only ever met the bare minimum of the rumour mill.

AFAIK the only persistent rumour of a camera to be announced is the K5n. The K-3 has been more an expectation than a solid rumour per se. Similarly a refreshed 645D and Q are possibilities rather than actual rumours.

Therefore I think it is reasonable to expect a K-5n and everything else is wish-listing.
09-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #102
Veteran Member

K-5n/K-5 Super or whatever it's going to be called is all I'm really expecting (and looking forward to) aside from probable SDM-II lenses.

...but talking about FF is just so fun!
09-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
K-5n/K-5 Super or whatever it's going to be called is all I'm really expecting (and looking forward to) aside from probable SDM-II lenses.

...but talking about FF is just so fun!
The closest to FF we might get is some mystery prototype under glass. In a similar way to the prototype compact ILCs they displayed a few years ago.
09-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I think people need to reign in expectations pretty sharply. Pentax has never over-delivered at Photokina. It has only ever met the bare minimum of the rumour mill.
Were you around in the last century?
09-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Exactly ! 4 hrs of 5th left and nothing