Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Hope has nothing to do with this; but common sense...

Anyway, I see some people are working hard at building ridiculous expectations (how many DSLRs? how many cameras?); I can't imagine the general disappointment when they'll find out Pentax had more reasonable targets. This Photokina is only the beginning

09-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Not that I wouldn't mind a FF DSLR since I'm sick to death of trying to take pictures through a peep hole sized system. Anyone who thinks a crop sensor is good, rather than merely adequate has obviously never gotten used to looking through a near 100% viewfinder on a 35mm system. I shouldn't have to dip into the teens in focal length to get everything in the frame, it kills optical magnification.
But now I rant.
Good point about the viewfinder...when I look thru my ME, it's like looking thru the windshield of my Silverado!
09-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #63
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by c-meier Quote
Exactly my thoughts. In my opinion, a K5 successor (K5n, K3, or w/e) is almost certain to be announced. Then one could possibly imagine there being room for 1 more K mount DSLR, either this rumoured K-300 or the higher end model (rather unlikely, IMO), certainly not both.
Then sometime in the future, a 645D replacement.

On the mirrorless front, I certainly hope they don't introduce yet another mount, as suggested by someone above. Even if it comes with a K adapter. One of the strongest selling points for Pentax cameras is, that, with few exceptions, all the lenses they ever produced can be used on the latest K body.
Here's another thought: the K-30 more or less replaced the K-r, right? But specs-wise, it's clearly above the K-r and quite close to the K-5. I think Pentax is shifting its whole model range up by maybe half a notch that way. So why not replace the K-5 with a really high-end model? Still APS-C, but really pull out all the stops on this model. Greater buffer, faster image processing, more versatile aufofocus, translucent LCD viewfinder. Make it really a technology demonstrator that can compete with anything the competition has to offer. Then, when the K-30 is up for replacement, the technology from this new model will have become cheap enough to put in the K-40 (or whatever it will be called).

Then also bring out a model below the K-30. Non-weathersealed, one e-dial, lower fps, but cheap, small and light, to attract new users.
09-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some announcements could be Ricoh models re-branded to Pentax models. Hopefully some new K mount lenses to start selling that are now on the lens road map, and hopefully some new designs added to the map, all WR with DC motors. And $1000 credit to the Pentax webstore for every Pentax owner.

09-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Then also bring out a model below the K-30. Non-weathersealed, one e-dial, lower fps, but cheap, small and light, to attract new users.
Maybe that model could be something like the Olympus OM-D, only in K-mount of course, and with an optical viewfinder and APS-C sensor.

Regards
09-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
In many ways the K5 was not as high end as the D300 or the 7D so a K3 could well be above where the K5 was feature and buld wise, the K5n could well be a K5 with tilt screen and prime m.
One way this could be done is the K-5n being a K30 in a K-5 metal body with maybe better processor with 14 bit and maybe a tilt screen.

The K-3 with a new body with 24MP sensor, dual processor, more AF points, dual card slots, fast fps and a hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder. One rumor a few months back mentioned 29 focus points.

Anyhow, there is room above the excellent K-5 for another camera.

Dave
09-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #67
MCR
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
Maybe that model could be something like the Olympus OM-D, only in K-mount of course, and with an optical viewfinder and APS-C sensor.

Regards
I have K-5 with all FA Limited. Great gears, I know... but since I bought Fuji X100 (4 months ago) I never use Pentax. Why? Because X100 is smaller, lighter and X100 is always with me. I try Pentax Q (is not a substitue of DSLR), K01 (I have to have a EVF or OVF). Few weeks ago I try OM-D and in my opinion it is a great solution: size similar to X100 but with many lens. If Pentax don't show something like OM-D (what about great GXR with K-mount?) I sell all of my pentax gear and I change to Olympus. I don't want to FF (I use 5DMkII for 5-6 months too) and for me the most important things are: size, weight and few good, small lens. Why not X-Pro1 with M-mount? Because Fuji hasn't Focus Peaking. That's why.
C'mon Pentax, give me small version of my ME-F...

09-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #68
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
None of the current Pentax mirrorless models make sense to me. The K-01 has no viewfinder and could just as easily contain a mirror, which would allow it to be more advanced (phase-detect AF for example). It's just full not good enough for what it is, IMHO. The Q is better as a concept, and could be fun, but still... interchangeable lenses on such a small sensor make little sense to me.

I think I'd much rather buy a Lumix GX1 than any of these. I think the mirrorless ship has sailed and Pentax is not aboard.
09-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's no doubt about it that Pentax has a plan. And yes, we'll be happy (eventually).
09-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MCR Quote
I have K-5 with all FA Limited. Great gears, I know... but since I bought Fuji X100 (4 months ago) I never use Pentax. Why? Because X100 is smaller, lighter and X100 is always with me. I try Pentax Q (is not a substitue of DSLR), K01 (I have to have a EVF or OVF). Few weeks ago I try OM-D and in my opinion it is a great solution: size similar to X100 but with many lens. If Pentax don't show something like OM-D (what about great GXR with K-mount?) I sell all of my pentax gear and I change to Olympus. I don't want to FF (I use 5DMkII for 5-6 months too) and for me the most important things are: size, weight and few good, small lens. Why not X-Pro1 with M-mount? Because Fuji hasn't Focus Peaking. That's why.
C'mon Pentax, give me small version of my ME-F...
I have way too much Pentax gear and love all of it. Pentax K-5 is my primary system along with DA*, DA Limited and FA Limited lenses. Still to get a smaller camera system I brought an E-M5 and several lenses. It is a fun compact system, still it doesn't replace my K-mount system.

A mirrorless camera with an aps-c sensor and a shorter than K-mount register distance but can take a fully functional K-mount adopter, with a built-in EVF and weather-resistant would be nice. I really don't think we will get it anytime soon.

Dave
09-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Hopefully this will be true.

Here is my list of new cameras to expect and it is only a guess:
1. K-300 or K-z
2. K5n
3. K3
4. Q2
5. K-02
then three Ricoh cameras
. [...]
Dave
9 new things in total seems more justified, among the cameras'I expect at least 3 P&S, one of the W-series (which seem to get bigger and bigger every new generation and oddly enough I did find the 43W (the square one) the nicest one... Weird looking no fuss and decent pics for what it was in its day), one basic optio, one more advanced optio and then one or two upgraded ricoh clones for that fanbase. If we add the 560 to this list and then a Q of K-0?? thingy not much dslr news left.
09-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #72
Veteran Member

My other predictions is that we won't see a FF as part of the 9 announcements but clues will be had, such as a couple full frame lens announcement for the roadmap.
09-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #73
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone heard a rumour about Pentax developing an FF camera for M-mount?
Price in proximity of $3500, way below the price of M9 / M10. It may, however, have Ricoh's badge on it.
09-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
None of the current Pentax mirrorless models make sense to me.

I think I'd much rather buy a Lumix GX1 than any of these. I think the mirrorless ship has sailed and Pentax is not aboard.
I agree with you first statement but not your last.

I also agree that the ship has sailed on the mirrorless 4/3 sensor cameras. But Olympus may not survive for very much longer and Panasonic lost money last year - not sure what the story is there. The 4/3 hex or something

There's been too many design mistakes and pratfalls with the APS sized mirrorless to consider that ship sailed, IMO. Fuji's XPro1 is priced as high as the rumour'ed D600 FF and lacks good focusing systems, e.g. no focus peaking and AF is slow i think. if one believes everything they read on dpreview Sony's Nex cameras in general lack a UI that is easy to understand. The UI in their DSLRs and RX100 is reportedly much better. Also, the Nex7 has color casts with some wide angle lenses - not sure exactly what that is all about.

In short, i think Pentax still has a chance to board the APS mirrorless ship prior to the next sailing. I don't think the Q mount and K01 are going to be around long term and I worry about Pentax's viability with just the K mount. It doesn't seem very amenable to fast focusing design techniques. Here's a chance for Pentax to design a new mount with the kind of features in current demand. A diversified range of products is the best way to ensure survival over the next 10 years.

Post script: Mirrorless is here to stay as a category. Some companies are already working on phase focusing with hardware embedded in the sensor.
09-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #75
mee
Veteran Member

Mirrorless camera != Entry Level dSLR