Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #61
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Why would you replace a K-5 with a K-30?
unpredictable AF with fast primes. BF/FF in different light condition even with AF adjustment. K-30 is not expensive. I can buy K30 with AA adapter for USD890. It's big plus too.
K-5N will be 1000 EURO.

Last edited by ogl; 09-05-2012 at 10:34 PM.
09-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NightPorter Quote
If Pentax will not has a clear FF schedule, Pentax is doomed !
whoa, did I read that right again! no FF, Pentax is doooooooommmmeed

sorry but... I don't think Ricoh's going to let Pentax die without a bang
09-05-2012, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Good things are coming, but next week a full-frame isn't one of them
Your statement is a contradiction. FF would be the only thing that would do Pentax any good.
09-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #64
ogl
Banned

By the way, K-3 could be in 2 versions - with and without AA filter. The last one with new AF system could be interesting for anybody till FF come...

09-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
unpredictable AF with fast primes. BF/FF in different light condition even with AF adjustment.
Ah, so the whiners that constantly complained about the K5's AF (Obviously PEBCA. (Problem Exists Behind Camera.)) are now the reason for belated FF. Pentax is dedicating a production line to the K5MKII which they should have used for FF.

Now that's irony.

(We need torches, pitchforks, ropes and an angry mob.)
09-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Hope everyone has saved all their $$$ up ready for the FF!
09-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #67
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Ah, so the whiners that constantly complained about the K5's AF (Obviously PEBCA. (Problem Exists Behind Camera.)) are now the reason for belated FF. Pentax is dedicating a production line to the K5MKII which they should have used for FF.

Now that's irony.

K-5's AF system is very mediocre system in terms of accuracy. It seems to me - AF's points are bigger than was before. The sensitivity of AF sensors are rather low in not bright light condition.

My K200D is simply more accurate than K-5 without any AF adjustment. Yes, slower and less tenacious, but accurate.
If you use primes, it's easy to see.

09-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Hope everyone has saved all their $$$ up ready for the FF!
Which FF is that? The one we are going to get or the one we are not going to get?

I'm so confused I might just take up drawing.....
09-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #69
Veteran Member

I wonder what kind of improvement Pentax has done for the AF over the years. The SAFOX IXi+ seems to be just a quick upgrade; they were probably working on the X version long ago and just finished it recently, in time to test-release it with the K-5 MkII. Will it be a hybrid-type AF just like the one in Sony's A99, albeit to a lesser degree, or just... well, a "faster, more accurate version" based on the IXi+ hardware?

btw, if a non-AA filter version of the K-3 flagship is to be released... knowing how much P's engineers can tweak out a sensor, if it can rival the entry-level D600... good game, Pentax.
09-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Ah, so the whiners that constantly complained about the K5's AF (Obviously PEBCA. (Problem Exists Behind Camera.))
If that was always the case then I should have been billed twice for wrongly claiming issues with the cameras AF and sending it in for repairs. Instead I was later offered my money back.
09-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Not if you use 300mm f4 primes The K-5's AF on 300mm centre-spot has been working great recently, chasing around small honey eaters and thornbills through bad light, obstructions, and shadows. You standard prime shooters have it too easy.
09-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #72
Veteran Member

K-5's AF system is very mediocre system in terms of accuracy. It seems to me - AF's points are bigger than was before. The sensitivity of AF sensors are rather low in not bright light condition.

My K200D is simply more accurate than K-5 without any AF adjustment. Yes, slower and less tenacious, but accurate.
The K5 was trialled and tested and found to be very best amongst it's peers: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/154373-pentax-k-5-exce...ocus-test.html

The findings of the Germans comply with my own experiences with the K5. And yes, with fast primes too.

QuoteOriginally posted by ZafarIqbal:
If that was always the case then I should have been billed twice for wrongly claiming issues with the cameras AF and sending it in for repairs. Instead I was later offered my money back.
That only proves to me that they wanted to get rid of a customer who is unhappy with a fully functioning product. Who bills people for wrongly claimed issues?!?

Back on topic: Instead they could have updated the EXISTING K5's systems with updated firmwares to improve issues with the K5's in existing userbase, instead of selling a software-tweak. And issue the new K5mkII with a bigger sensor.
09-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Really? My K-5 is waaaay better than my K10d, especially at close to infinity distances, where the K10 simply isn't accurate enough.
09-06-2012, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #74
Inactive Account

The K5 was trialled and tested and found to be very best amongst it's peers: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/154373-pentax-k-5-exce...ocus-test.html

The findings of the Germans comply with my own experiences with the K5. And yes, with fast primes too.

That only proves to me that they wanted to get rid of a customer who is unhappy with a fully functioning product. Who bills people for wrongly claimed issues?!?

Back on topic: Instead they could have updated the EXISTING K5's systems with updated firmwares to improve issues with the K5's in existing userbase, instead of selling a software-tweak. And issue the new K5mkII with a bigger sensor.
AF-C tracking objects, af point sensitivity, af prediction speed and accuracy, af CPU speed?

Testing af-s on a still target with high contrast is just a simple way to state that pentax af is good, fast and acurate in that area only. Wich it is, and should be by todays standard. Btw my ist* is more acurate than my k-5 was.
09-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Now that's irony.

Yeah, right, it has no focus issues in certain light settings or weird focus issues that randomly start.