Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
Well that pretty much seals it, doesn't it?
Looks like it. Somehow Pentax thinks when you ask for FF, it can give you another APS-C and you'll be happy. Now we just need the aussie WTF response.

09-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Your statement is a contradiction. FF would be the only thing that would do Pentax any good.
I agree with you for the most part. They can do "good" by keeping up the APS-C line, but they will need FF with the D600 on our doorstep. I just hope they're smart enough to release intention for a 2013 FF at Photokina.
09-06-2012, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I agree with you for the most part. They can do "good" by keeping up the APS-C line, but they will need FF with the D600 on our doorstep. I just hope they're smart enough to release intention for a 2013 FF at Photokina.
What good is an expensive flagship APSC going to do when one can have FF for a similar amount of cash? (Or less even maybe?)
09-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What good is an expensive flagship APSC going to do when one can have FF for a similar amount of cash? (Or less even maybe?)
I'll turn that question around on you, why buy a gimped FF camera when you could buy a high-quality APS-C for a similar amount of cash? Especially if you already own good lenses that could be used on that APS-C camera.

Don't get me wrong, I have FF ready Pentax lenses and would do a few cartwheels if they came to their senses and released a FF camera that I could use them on. But I think just comparing cameras by sensor size or megapixels misses a lot.

09-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #110
Veteran Member

All depends upon the other specs and features each one has. I will go for a pro-level APS-C spec camera over a entry level (K-r level) camera.

Dave
09-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #111
Inactive Account

Nikon had this coming (planning) since long... the release of 1.8G lens series is not just for fun, or that non screw drive body users can have a bone. Nope... they're laying a path..
How many of those paths will lead to premium lens purchases?

I tellya... if pentax albeit a little late, laid out such a path, lens after lens... i'd be over them asap... updated FA Ltd's anyone? I would. They'd be bigger, but certainly not polyplasticky stuff.

well... one can dream
09-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'll turn that question around on you, why buy a gimped FF camera when you could buy a high-quality APS-C for a similar amount of cash?
Because most Pentaxians already own a (or even multiple) VERY HIGH-quality APSC cameras.

Me personally, I see the K3 as a K5 that spits out bigger files. It's a nice option for new Pentaxians, that's true.

09-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Because most Pentaxians already own a (or even multiple) VERY HIGH-quality APSC cameras.

Me personally, I see the K3 as a K5 that spits out bigger files. It's a nice option for new Pentaxians, that's true.
I can see what you're saying. It's easier to make a case for people to buy new things when they are different formats-- bigger sensor = better camera. When people just look at the spec sheet they might assume that the K-3 has the same sensor as the cheaper Nikon 3200. Nikon has done a pretty good job understanding this and building and marketing their cameras likewise, so I give them a lot of credit for that.

As for me, it really depends on how improved over the K-5 this K-3 is. I'm fairly happy now, but if they come out with a 24 mp monster with a weak or no AA filter, that would definitely be worth checking out. I may also check out adding a full frame system with primes to my Pentax stuff depending on the direction Ricoh takes, or maybe I'll spend that money on the impressive Olympus OM-D or Fuji systems. As photographers, we really are spoiled with a lot of great choices these days.
09-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am rather ambivalent on FF or APS-C, I have enough FF lenses that if a FF camera came out, that had good reviews for IQ and ergonomics, I would be interested. But a good APS-C with bells & whistles that was enough better than the k-5 to make me spend money would be just fine too. But in the meantime the k-5 is a better camera than I am a photographer so I'm in no hurry. Buying a k-3 or an LXd is not going to magically improve my photography.

Hugely amusing watching all the excitement about something that might or might not ever exist though.
09-06-2012, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
My K200D is better than your K10D.
Well, my dad could beat up your dad!

Among many good ones, this is probably my favorite post in this thread.
09-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'll turn that question around on you, why buy a gimped FF camera when you could buy a high-quality APS-C for a similar amount of cash? Especially if you already own good lenses that could be used on that APS-C camera.

Don't get me wrong, I have FF ready Pentax lenses and would do a few cartwheels if they came to their senses and released a FF camera that I could use them on. But I think just comparing cameras by sensor size or megapixels misses a lot.
I think a Pentax FF would be bad, very bad indeed, for Pentax forums such as this one...
IMHO it is the "I want a FF" threads that keep them busy...

Anyway, there is more to it than sensor size. It is what they allow you to do with it, rather than what you could do with it...
Will the D600 be "allowed"to "compete" with higher end models? No way. If so nobody would upgrade from that. D600 is probably designed as an entry level FF. It is made to make you lust for more. Maybe simply less features, less advanced processing. Maybe even a downgraded FF sensor, or at least not ( being allowed to be) used to its full potential.
It is like many entry level dslr's, the often share the same sensor with higher up models, yet, after a bit of shooting you want a more capable camera. at least in some cases, many will remain at entry level because it is sufficient for them... And many of those should not have bothered with dslr because their use and knowledge.. They could just as well have stuck with a P&S.

So K-5 or K-3 may be at least as good as the FF D600.
09-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #117
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I think a Pentax FF would be bad, very bad indeed, for Pentax forums such as this one...
IMHO it is the "I want a FF" threads that keep them busy...

Anyway, there is more to it than sensor size. It is what they allow you to do with it, rather than what you could do with it...
Will the D600 be "allowed"to "compete" with higher end models? No way. If so nobody would upgrade from that. D600 is probably designed as an entry level FF. It is made to make you lust for more. Maybe simply less features, less advanced processing. Maybe even a downgraded FF sensor, or at least not ( being allowed to be) used to its full potential.
It is like many entry level dslr's, the often share the same sensor with higher up models, yet, after a bit of shooting you want a more capable camera. at least in some cases, many will remain at entry level because it is sufficient for them... And many of those should not have bothered with dslr because their use and knowledge.. They could just as well have stuck with a P&S.

So K-5 or K-3 may be at least as good as the FF D600.
Or... Its a smart move by Nikon, answering the enormous second hand market effect from the 5Dmk2, which nobody seem to think about.
For the last two years, i wonder.. unknown statistics for sure
09-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Depending upon the lens my K-x is pretty decent in low light. I can't even imagine quibbling with the low light capacity of the K-5 given it's like a Mercedes compared to a Chevy compared to my K-x. I think some of you folks are too darned spoiled. :P Me, I really, really, want a K-30 but I wouldn't exactly sneer at a K-5. Anyone who is THAT unhappy with theirs is free to send it my way. I will give it a nice home where it will be loved and petted and treated with the proper respect due such a fine machine, wink...
09-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #119
ogl
Banned

It seems to me - nо Photokina in 2013
09-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #120
Veteran Member

I just hope they're smart enough to release intention for a 2013 FF at Photokina.
CP+ you mean? Pentax has a history of introducing the *big* announcements at CP+.