Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
But if it is going to release in 2013, this will be a good time to announce it / show prototype?
I am waiting for this lens as well.
Well don't wait too hard. You're probably imagining a 16-85/2.8, when the reality will be somewhere between that and a 24-75/4 (although that would be FF). If they did develop a 16-85/2.8, we wouldn't like the cost, and possibly not the size either!

At least that's what I first imagined when I saw 'DA* zoom', until I thought about it and realized it wasn't feasible.

Last edited by DSims; 09-06-2012 at 02:54 PM.
09-06-2012, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
If they did develop a 16-85/2.8, we wouldn't like the cost, and possibly not the size either!
Look, if it protrudes from the camera body, it's too big. If it weighs more than 0.75 ounces, it's too heavy. If it costs more than USD $5, it's too much money.

Oh and it *has* to be F2.0. F2.8 is so last year.
09-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #78
Veteran Member

the silence is killing me, must be a good sign
09-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm expecting "nothing" , that way I can't be dissappointed with the result.

09-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I'm expecting "nothing" , that way I can't be dissappointed with the result.
That's the spirit
09-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #81
Site Supporter

Good point, but those FF buyers will suddenly spend $4000 or more on a new camera plus a couple of zoom lenses - or at least some new lens they realize they're missing. So it will get them out of their non-spending rut, and generate significant revenue from each. But until that happens, your analysis makes sense.
I think the real reason most people here want full frame is not to make use of a new zoom but to use their lovely full-frame Pentax lenses as they were intended but on digital. Sure some people would buy the zooms but then the argument for Pentax or at least some of the big selling points (the nice primes and compact system) goes out the window.

I also cant see Pentax ever releasing a $4k body camera (that isnt MF). I'd also have to think that the profit margins on any new gear (new gen bodies like FF or new lenses) would be small at least for a few years.
09-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #82

you know the thing i find annoying - the faster burst rate is in the camera with the smaller viewfinder - would love the k5n but after seeing the bit about new larger viewfinder well makes me want that too - ah well will be skipping this gen anyway k5 meets my needs and jsut my inner tech nerd wants latest shiney toy

09-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
you know the thing i find annoying - the faster burst rate is in the camera with the smaller viewfinder - would love the k5n but after seeing the bit about new larger viewfinder well makes me want that too - ah well will be skipping this gen anyway k5 meets my needs and jsut my inner tech nerd wants latest shiney toy
Well, I don't think it's worth being too annoyed about imaginary specs.
09-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well don't wait too hard. You're probably imagining a 16-85/2.8, when the reality will be somewhere between that and a 24-75/4 (although that would be FF). If they did develop a 16-85/2.8, we wouldn't like the cost, and possibly not the size either!

At least that's what I first imagined when I saw 'DA* zoom', until I thought about it and realized it wasn't feasible.
I've said it elsewhere before; 16-85 is the most wildly optimistic extreme of the proposed new DA* zoom's range. Expecting that full range in an affordable, reasonably compact, fast, high quality zoom is ridiculous. As you say, it will most likely be in the typical 24-75/2.8 range, and hopefully full frame, where the formula is well established.
09-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Re16 85. f2.8-4 is doable.
09-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #86
Site Supporter

Fuji just released an 18-55 2.8-4 kit lens for the xpros
09-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
That's the spirit
absolutely
09-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #88
Veteran Member

If the rumor is true it sounds like the K5n will be getting a new 16mp sensor. Any idea how it will be different than the 16mp sensor found in the K-01 and the K30?

Dave
09-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
I think the real reason most people here want full frame is not to make use of a new zoom but to use their lovely full-frame Pentax lenses as they were intended but on digital. Sure some people would buy the zooms but then the argument for Pentax or at least some of the big selling points (the nice primes and compact system) goes out the window.

I also cant see Pentax ever releasing a $4k body camera (that isnt MF). I'd also have to think that the profit margins on any new gear (new gen bodies like FF or new lenses) would be small at least for a few years.
The problem with that theory is that will a 24mp sensor that is pushed as much as Pentax pushes it compared to Nikon/Sony...will it out resolve the old FA glass? Let alone M and A glass? I think so. You can already see with the K5 the difference between M glass and FA glass. I doubt we will turely get the magic we had from our FA's on a FF 24mp+ body.

This is one more reason why I'm more than happy with 24mp APSC being released vs a 24mp FF. Don't get me wrong, if BOTH were to come out I'd be saving the pennies hardcore (with the APS being the first purchase). But my style of shooting and prefered focal lengths dictate I'm more suited for the smaller format.

Besides... were pushing IQ of Canon's full frame with the K5 already. "oh thin depth of field man" I like my stuff to be in focus.
09-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
If the rumor is true it sounds like the K5n will be getting a new 16mp sensor. Any idea how it will be different than the 16mp sensor found in the K-01 and the K30?

Dave
The new 16MP sensor that Sony is putting in the NEX-6 is rumored to have PDAF built into the sensor. This is a big deal for mirror-less and older glass. I believe the new Canon M already sports this technology. Not sure if the same sensor will be used by Pentax, but that is the biggest "new" feature of the new 16MP Sony sensor. Pentax may be getting a smoking hot deal on the last generation 16MP sensors and making good use of a great sensor. The K-02 could definitely use the new sensor with PDAF built in. The AF on the K-01 is painfully slow.