Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2008, 08:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hiroshi Onada, GM of imaging systems for Pentax Europe speaks...

Here is the link:
British Journal of Photography - Asian alliance on class-beating digital SLR

I thought this was key info. right here:
And what of Pentax’ digital medium format camera? Publicly, Onada re-iterated the line Pentax has been peddling since news of Hoya’s proposed ‘merger’ first broke in 2005 – that ‘it’s too early to say’. He said that the company had been concentrating on ‘core business’, which apparently means medium format is on the back-burner.

However, in an interview with BJP, Onada revealed just how close Pentax had come to launching the 645 AFD. ‘Before the Hoya deal went through we were actually quite ready. We were very much prepared for a launch. But one of the key issues was with distribution. You need huge resources to launch across many countries.’

He was equally reluctant to say when Pentax might introduce a pro-level DSLR, saying it didn’t have the ‘resources or the desire’ to compete with Canon and Nikon at this point. However, he did say that Pentax’ eventual ambition is to have three levels of camera, with one a higher-end model.

The same applies to high-end lenses. ‘Once we have enough resources, we can concentrate on development,’ says Onada. ‘I thought Hoya might invest separately, but no one is going to give you money for no reason. Hoya is unique in that’s it is extremely profitable. But there’s a reason for that. Working with them these past months, I have learnt that they never lose money – and that’s a very strong philosophy. In the past, management would often say, “If you have the guts and commitment, go and do it”. Hoya takes a longer view.’

01-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalphil Quote
Hoya is unique in that’s it is extremely profitable. But there’s a reason for that. Working with them these past months, I have learnt that they never lose money – and that’s a very strong philosophy. In the past, management would often say, “If you have the guts and commitment, go and do it”. Hoya takes a longer view.’
Hmmm. I'd have thought that was called the shorter view. Maybe something is lost in translation here.
02-01-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Interesting.

I always thought that Pentax would create a line of DSLRs similar to the Nkon lineup, except they'd stop at D300 level and wouldn't go to FF.

It's very logical and would lead to a very coherent APS-C lineup.

If they want to go pro, they have to get the green light on the 645.

My guess is that we will never see a xD or Dx serie camera from Pentax.
02-01-2008, 04:49 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had information before from insiders, 645D was ready to launch in the middle of 2007.
There were 2 working cameras at Tokyo Photo-Expo.
Somebody from high management of Pentax Europe said in interview several days ago that
Pentax are investigating the markets of digital backs so Pentax need to understand the how much 645D cameras need to manufacture and the cost of camera.

Last edited by ogl; 02-01-2008 at 10:39 AM.
02-01-2008, 04:52 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

OK1000 Pentax Blog
02-01-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Interesting.

I always thought that Pentax would create a line of DSLRs similar to the Nkon lineup, except they'd stop at D300 level and wouldn't go to FF.

Shhh - dont say that too loud - you'll attract the nutters
02-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
Pay close attention to the quotes within quotes. 'Pentax was more "guts and go" and hoya long term vision. Like most business plans are!

02-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalphil Quote
Pay close attention to the quotes within quotes. 'Pentax was more "guts and go" and hoya long term vision. Like most business plans are!
Yeah, but the long term vision is "everything must be immediately profitable?"

(There doesn't seem to be a skeptical enough smiley icon to add here, so please imagine one.)
02-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Interesting.

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Shhh - dont say that too loud - you'll attract the nutters
Said in Allo Allo! ( 'Allo 'Allo! - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia! ) style.

"I will say this only once, very quietly - A D2x beater at just above D300 money?" Mmmm!
02-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
"I will say this only once, very quietly - A D2x beater at just above D300 money?" Mmmm!
Is this a hint?
02-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Just curious, but would the 645 D be the pro level camera?
02-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That is my guess. They've already invested a lot of resources into it, so it doesn't make sense to me (I certainly don't know all the particulars of the business) to dump it. If they were able to put this new "super sensor" from the k20d in a medium-format size, that would be one heck of a camera.

Regarding Hoya's more conservative approach, I like it. Pentax seemed to disappear in the late 90's and first two or three years of the 21st century; if this was the result of the "guts and go" approach then I wholly support a more conservative approach. Look at what Canon and Nikon have done- produce a breakthrough model (Digital Rebel/D50), upgrade it (XT/D40), then release a very conservative upgrade of it (XTi/D40x/60) and milk it for a while to build up money reserves. (I'm not saying that the D50 came out at the same time as the Rebel, the grouping is based on concept, not launch date).
02-02-2008, 02:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
Said in Allo Allo! ( 'Allo 'Allo! - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia! ) style.

Reply in allo allo style-
You stupid man, whay don't you say what you are meaning.

It's good moaning from me.
02-02-2008, 03:41 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Is this a hint?
No, just a wish!

Plus I keep dropping big hints to anyone associated with or at Pentax!

It is pretty clear that there will be a 3 tier APS-C body line-up by 2009, entry, mid-point and upper. How up-market the top one will be is not known outside the company.

To me it makes some sense to build a body that can fill the gap left by the D2x, with very simlar features. The D2x was an immensly popular camera (justifiably) and many D2x users feel rightly upset that they have been left in the situation that they cannot replace their workhorses, but are forced into a replacement that costs twice the price and gives them 5MP with their DX lenses, or buy a less well specified and capable camera in the D300.

Pentax need to build a uper model that exceeds the D300 and of course the Canon 5D or it's replacement, It is now very obvious that APS sensor technology can match the larger sensors.

Another point is that Canon users don't have an APS body above the mid-point 40D and it looks that it will stay that way. The poor guys have to upgrade to either a 5D (more of a downgrade really) or to the 1D mkIII, which is probably the most popular of the pro-Canons, at least you get a 1.3x tele-extender! (This is very important to the paparazzi, they need long reach - Think about it!) The 1DS sales are well below that of the 1D, even though it's FF.

I believe, that with Nikon and Sony entering the FF market place along with Canon, as their level above their mid-point cameras, it leaves a huge opportunity for Pentax to jump in with a pro-spec camera with the right goodies just above the D300. It will be a very attractive option for those who want to stay with APS-C (for all the obvious reasons, weight, free 1.5x tele-extender, better DOF etc, etc) but get true pro-level performance for maybe around a £1800-2000 (inc our VAT) or US $3000-3500 (w/o tax) price point. That sector of the market would generate far greater sales than any FF'ng nonsense, let C, N and now Sony battle it out for the 2-4% market share, I reckon they're nuts myself.

With all the new lenses now becoming avialable for Pentax, plus the already established ones, I could see that being a real winner!

After that, I do believe that could eventually see Pentax launch a larger sensor body, i.e. a 645 1.3 crop (the 645D), or APS x2, around the 645 lens mount with SR, SDM and all the benefits gained from their current and up-coming APS models. They could even reduce the registration distance between mount and sensor to allow for easier WA lens design, but still have the ability to use existing 645 lenses with the use of a spacer adaptor, to account for the different registration distance, similar in concept to the Olympus OM to 4/3rds adaptor.
02-02-2008, 03:42 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tux08902 Quote
Just curious, but would the 645 D be the pro level camera?
See my guesses in the previous post!