Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Their OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 is weather sealed and has a tilting screen. Not what I would call fully articulated but it does move. It's really too new to know what the reliability figures are on the screen yet (released in April as I recall).
Tilting screen is much easier to weather seal one hinge one movement plus it could be made a whole lot stronger.

09-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Both the E-5 and the E-3 are weathersealed with articulating screens.

Personally I could get a lot of use out of an articulating screen for macro, tripod and more creative shooting.
The are said to be splash proof they do not claim it to be weather sealed which to me is very different I would not trust it just being splash proof out in a rain storm where I do the K-5
09-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If Sony releases the FF RX1 priced at the $1,500 mark, then Pentax is going to have very tight market. All those limited lenses will work great on a FF NEX.
24x36 Sony RX1 is a compact camera, not a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera: the lens is part of the body.
09-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #214
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
The are said to be splash proof they do not claim it to be weather sealed which to me is very different I would not trust it just being splash proof out in a rain storm where I do the K-5
I've read enough anecdotes about the sealing of the Es to believe they are every bit as weathersealed as the K-5 even if Olympus describes them as splash and dust proof. Every review I have read have also espoused their level of sealing and described them as 'weathersealed'.

09-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
24x36 Sony RX1 is a compact camera, not a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera: the lens is part of the body.
Yeah. I saw that after I posted. Probably not much market for a fixed lens, but just putting the FF sensor in a body that small is a step in the right direction.
09-09-2012, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #216
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think what Tom was getting at is that Ricoh Pentax isn't bound to anything said by the Hoya boys or Pentax when it was independent.
Exactly. Ricoh has let it be known they want to expand their name in the marketplace, and one of the obvious ways to do that is provide FF. However, I don't think it was necessarily prudent to expect them to develop it in the short amount of time they have owned the company. I don't expect to see it this year, but I'd make bets on next year, for sure.
09-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #217
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
Tilting screen is much easier to weather seal one hinge one movement plus it could be made a whole lot stronger.
agree. at least i know the technolgyis out there already. so many japanese clam shell type cellular gsm handset is weather shield ..

you can immerse in water actually.

like this one...

softbank f01a

.if Pentax want it , i think they can adopt the technology.

09-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #218
Veteran Member

RX1 won't be $1500, either...
09-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #219
Site Supporter

I plan on taking my next camera with me on hunting and fishing trips. I dont want a hinged screen that can break off should I drop it or loose my balance or whatever.

IMHO the only really sturdy swivel screen is on my old Nikon 995....
09-09-2012, 12:50 PM - 5 Likes   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
You talk about torture the body takes - what do you do to your cameras?
I won't speak for anyone else, but one of the reasons that I came to Pentax was the durability. For me personally, this is what I do with my Pentax K-5:
  • I hike and rock climb with my camera, having taken pictures and changed lenses while suspended by cables.
  • I have taken my camera running - yes, literally running, and not in a bag/pack - just the strap across my shoulder or holding the grip in my hand. I was leading a physical training event in the rain at around 0400 as I was the lead trainer of 10 soldiers that were being trained to attend an elite military school that I had recently graduated from. Here's a photo taken from that morning, 2 hours into the rain soaked PT session (yes, carrying the 135kg/300lb+ boat the entire way the entire time):

The sergeant's eyes front left is showing me how much he loves me
  • I have had my camera in a turret (unsecured/not tied down) while being the gunner during a mounted vehicle convoy. Because I am sure the question will arise: no, photography was obviously never my priority - it was just to catch opportunity shots, and I shot pics through the bullet proof observation windows of the turret - I never put myself at unnecessary risk. At one point we were fired upon by enemy insurgents, at which point I fired back and the links and shell casings from my .50 caliber machine gun fell on the unprotected camera/lens.

• Most recently I have resorted to taking my K-5 on combat patrols in a drop-leg holster (Lowepro Zoom 55 AW, which is a perfect fit for the gripped K-5 + DA* 60-250 with reversed hood) as I operate in an advisory role patrolling among Afghan soldiers. Yes my primary "weapon" is an actual rifle, not the camera, which is kept within the holster except for 15 sec intervals of quick-removal,-picture,-replacement-into-holster.
Like I said, I do not speak for anyone but me, but I am very reluctant to believe an articulating screen is worth the loss in durability and most likely weather sealing. Naysayers will use the Olympus OM-D E-M5 as the counterargument to this, however it's just a tilt screen (like the Pentax X-5), which is realistically just a "half-assed" attempt at what an articulating screen offers, not offering the single greatest benefit to an articulating screen - reversing the screen to protect it when not in use. With a good screen protector (which are extremely cheap on eBay - my K-5 has a set for the rear and top LCD's for $10), the back LCD plate can take a LOT of pressure and impact. Also, important to note is just how much thicker the camera is because of the tilt screen - at least 5mm thicker had the E-M5 included a tilt screen, and it's already a relatively tiny camera. While many would scoff at 5mm, that much more depth across the entire volume of a camera the size of the K-5 is significant. I personally own a Canon G11 (I learned on it prior to crossing over to a full-fledged DSLR, the Pentax K-7), so I am very familiar with the benefits of an articulating screen. Yes, it's great for street shooting and different angle/perspective shooting (above your head, waist level, self-portrait, etc). But that is not what I own a DSLR for, especially not a Pentax K-5. I understand that doesn't sit well with the proponents of articulating screens, however that is what entry level DSLR's and the K-01 are for (a small articulating on the Q series would be great too if it wouldn't detract from how slim that body is), however for the top-tier DSLR's, it is my position that tilt/articulating screens are an ill-placed fad should they actually come to fruition in the K-5II/K-3/Pentax (any brand, really) Flagship.

-Heie
09-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #221
Veteran Member

This is why a filter is not a substitute for a good hood! The brass from the .50 is heavy.
P.S. Another marketing picture for Pentax?
P.P.S. The Sgt. loved you anyway Heie.
09-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #222
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I won't speak for anyone else, but one of the reasons that I came to Pentax was the durability. For me personally, this is what I do with my Pentax K-5:
  • I hike and rock climb with my camera, having taken pictures and changed lenses while suspended by cables.
  • I have taken my camera running - yes, literally running, and not in a bag/pack - just the strap across my shoulder or holding the grip in my hand. I was leading a physical training event in the rain at around 0400 as I was the lead trainer of 10 soldiers that were being trained to attend an elite military school that I had recently graduated from. Here's a photo taken from that morning, 2 hours into the rain soaked PT session (yes, carrying the 135kg/300lb+ boat the entire way the entire time):

The sergeant's eyes front left is showing me how much he loves me
  • I have had my camera in a turret (unsecured/not tied down) while being the gunner during a mounted vehicle convoy. Because I am sure the question will arise: no, photography was obviously never my priority - it was just to catch opportunity shots, and I shot pics through the bullet proof observation windows of the turret - I never put myself at unnecessary risk. At one point we were fired upon by enemy insurgents, at which point I fired back and the links and shell casings from my .50 caliber machine gun fell on the unprotected camera/lens.

• Most recently I have resorted to taking my K-5 on combat patrols in a drop-leg holster (Lowepro Zoom 55 AW, which is a perfect fit for the gripped K-5 + DA* 60-250 with reversed hood) as I operate in an advisory role patrolling among Afghan soldiers. Yes my primary "weapon" is an actual rifle, not the camera, which is kept within the holster except for 15 sec intervals of quick-removal,-picture,-replacement-into-holster.
Like I said, I do not speak for anyone but me, but I am very reluctant to believe an articulating screen is worth the loss in durability and most likely weather sealing. Naysayers will use the Olympus OM-D E-M5 as the counterargument to this, however it's just a tilt screen (like the Pentax X-5), which is realistically just a "half-assed" attempt at what an articulating screen offers, not offering the single greatest benefit to an articulating screen - reversing the screen to protect it when not in use. With a good screen protector (which are extremely cheap on eBay - my K-5 has a set for the rear and top LCD's for $10), the back LCD plate can take a LOT of pressure and impact. Also, important to note is just how much thicker the camera is because of the tilt screen - at least 5mm thicker had the E-M5 included a tilt screen, and it's already a relatively tiny camera. While many would scoff at 5mm, that much more depth across the entire volume of a camera the size of the K-5 is significant. I personally own a Canon G11 (I learned on it prior to crossing over to a full-fledged DSLR, the Pentax K-7), so I am very familiar with the benefits of an articulating screen. Yes, it's great for street shooting and different angle/perspective shooting (above your head, waist level, self-portrait, etc). But that is not what I own a DSLR for, especially not a Pentax K-5. I understand that doesn't sit well with the proponents of articulating screens, however that is what entry level DSLR's and the K-01 are for (a small articulating on the Q series would be great too if it wouldn't detract from how slim that body is), however for the top-tier DSLR's, it is my position that tilt/articulating screens are an ill-placed fad should they actually come to fruition in the K-5II/K-3/Pentax (any brand, really) Flagship.

-Heie

I agree with you on the durability verses articulating screen! Good luck over there and come back in 1 piece.
09-09-2012, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote

-Heie

I find this highly offensive. I do not come to a photography forum to be subjected to anecdotes of elite mercenaries killing in immoral invasions.
09-09-2012, 04:04 PM - 3 Likes   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I find this highly offensive. I do not come to a photography forum to be subjected to anecdotes of elite mercenaries killing in immoral invasions.
No, you just read a post of a Pentaxian explaining the use of their camera and how it gets into rough situations.
09-09-2012, 04:12 PM - 9 Likes   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
If you feel that you are so subjected, you may, of course, exercise your human right to leave.

And for that matter, I did not come to this particular forum to read your opinions on morality. I think there's a forum on PF for just that purpose. I'm confident your comments will be welcome, or at least tolerated, there.

Last edited by glanglois; 09-09-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Closed Thread