Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I would love that too. I just wonder how much of the AF improvements is software and how much is just hardware. There doesn't seem to be any hardware improvements so it seems like whatever firmware they use for the K5 II could improve the K5 as well. I wonder if Pentax would release that software/firmware upgrade to current K5 users.

As I've stated in previous posts, I feel really disappointed by the current rumors. They feel like a huge let down. I was really looking forward to upgrading in the next month or two. Doesn't really seem like any real upgrades are coming out anytime soon. I'm still hoping the current K5 II rumors are false (even thought they seem to be pretty confirmed) and that there will be something worthwhile that appears later this month. Is it next week that the press releases will start to go out for Pentax?

I have no problem paying 1400 or 1500 if the release is worth it. Right now it doesn't. Paying close to a grand for a camera that was released almost two years ago doesn't seem worth it either. Whatever I buy in the next few months will be my camera for the next few years, I want to have as little regret as possible.

What exactly are you looking for in a upgrade? Looks like there will be a new processor and improved AF do not believe it is a software update or we would already have it if I did not own a K-5 already I would be thinking seriously about the new K-5 II. Are you going by looks in saying that it does not seem like much of a upgrade if so looks can be deceiving I do not want the looks or layout to change much I just want what is inside to be different.

09-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
From reading the last few pages of this thread I have come to this conclusion -->

from xkcd: Duty Calls
Now that's ironic!
09-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #243
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I don't own a K5 right now and have been waiting for the replacement to upgrade. It almost feels as though I should just stop waiting and upgrade now so that I can just save $500. I haven't seen anything that implies that these aren't just firmware upgrades that are coming with the K5 II.
New AF hardware? New image processor? New sensor? Plus, of course, add'l capabilties (we assume) in image processing SW.

Even if there are no hardware improvements, it's hard for me to see software (in general) as having so little value that it would justify "just" as an adjective.

But I agree; if nothing tempts you about the K-5+ rumors, then go ahead with your K-5 purchase. It's a fine camera. I have two. But I "just" might have one available in a couple of weeks
09-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
What exactly are you looking for in a upgrade? Looks like there will be a new processor and improved AF do not believe it is a software update or we would already have it if I did not own a K-5 already I would be thinking seriously about the new K-5 II. Are you going by looks in saying that it does not seem like much of a upgrade if so looks can be deceiving I do not want the looks or layout to change much I just want what is inside to be different.
I've got a Kr right now, so the K5 in itself is a major upgrade.

Considering it will probably be 500-600 more than what the K5 costs right now, I would expect considerable upgrades to ISO performance and AF. Those are really the two things I care about. I really like the way the K5 looks and have no issue with it having the same body. I know the K5 already does a pretty good job with high ISO, but again, the price will be considerably higher, so I would hope that the performance would also be considerably higher.

Have they announced what the new processor will be? If so, what will the new processor improve?

The K5 II will be using the same sensor as the K5, right?

09-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #245
Veteran Member

Sensor is reported to be new, improved version of the K-5's.

Image processor rumored to be PRIME M, please see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/187027-prime-m-prime-ii.html for some info about it.

I don't know how we can tell if the improvements are worth $500 until we see reviews and images. Unless, of course, the $500 is quite a stretch. We understand that the K-5 is a superb body. I bought my second K-5 with the assumption that I needed a second body at that particular moment more than I needed improvements in the future. We'll see how long that assumption stands ....
09-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #246
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Sensor is reported to be new, improved version of the K-5's.

Image processor rumored to be PRIME M, please see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/187027-prime-m-prime-ii.html for some info about it.
Was not aware that it would have a new sensor. I guess I did miss one of the rumor updates. Thanks. I have no idea how the Prime M processor will affect the performance, but most people seem to be pretty positive about it.

edit: Saw the link for the Prime M explanation. Thanks.
09-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #247
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The K-5 is out of production so supplies wont last. I don't see the K-5II or IIs as a significant upgrade for anyone who already has a K-5. The AF would have to be significantly improved when it comes to low-light and accuracy. We might see a significantly bigger buffer and much better HD video features for what those would be worth.

If Pentax releases a K-3 with the 24MP sensor, no AA filter, better DR and lower noise than the K-5, and significantly better AF and buffer, with a FF sized VF, then I see reason to upgrade.
I've been sleeping in a cave somewhere and just woke up to an AA filter discussion. Why would I want a camera with one or without one..??
why would Pentax bother as rumored dto make both a K5-II and a K5-IIs?

or am I gonna be sorry I asked.?

09-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #248
Veteran Member

I can only hope the "new" 16mp sensor to be placed in the K-5 II/IIs will be better if not just as good as the one in the K-5 original. For some reason the DxO scoring was lower for the K-r's sensor, albeit it is the "same" as the one in the K-x
09-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #249
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Any idea of the cost?
I think 1500 USD. I will know later.
09-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #250
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think 1500 USD. I will know later.

I think 1 dollar, Bob. And we ALL will know later..

btw.. why are you completely guessing 1500? There is also a supposed K-3 on the way. Surely that is not going to be much (if any) over 1500 dollars..
09-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #251
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I've been sleeping in a cave somewhere and just woke up to an AA filter discussion. Why would I want a camera with one or without one..??
why would Pentax bother as rumored dto make both a K5-II and a K5-IIs?

or am I gonna be sorry I asked.?
Yes.

AA filters prevent moire patterns appearing in photos using digital senors. However, they also decrease sharpness of the image. So, no AA filter = sharper images. Moire can be dealt with in post.
09-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
You'll be sorry.

Nikon did a few pics about the difference when they released the D800/D800E.

If you take pictures of man-made patterns - cloth, grates far away, window screens - anything that has a repeating pattern - there can be an error in the way the pixels are interpreted, if the pixel density and the repeating pattern density are on some multiple of each other.

As you get smaller and smaller pixels, this is less likely to matter.

The anti-aliasing filter kind-a smudges the light just a little bit before it hits the sensor. If you're taking pictures of something without a repeating pattern, you can get very slightly sharper pics.
09-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #253
mee
Veteran Member

Ignorant to what goes on with an AA filter on a camera.. why can't it be a software enabled/disabled system like on computer videocard? Is there something inherent to a camera's AA system that it cannot be disabled/enabled on the fly?
09-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #254
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
You'll be sorry.
The anti-aliasing filter kind-a smudges the light just a little bit before it hits the sensor. If you're taking pictures of something without a repeating pattern, you can get very slightly sharper pics.
K200D has better sharpness of corners than K-5. Sometimes - Much better.
09-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #255
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I think 1 dollar, Bob. And we ALL will know later..

btw.. why are you completely guessing 1500? There is also a supposed K-3 on the way. Surely that is not going to be much (if any) over 1500 dollars..
1000 EURO - K-5II, 1100 EURO - K5IIs
Closed Thread