Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #331
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
How many AF points? Is there focus peaking?
No clue.
There are many areas missing from the spec sheet tbh.

09-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #332
Veteran Member

Sorry guys, I'm not impressed. I mean a K-5 is a great camera in many ways and with an improved autofocus it will obviously be even better. But this is probably more or less the camera that the original K-5 should have been to begin with and now they're releasing it two years later and at a higher price. Yawn.
09-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #333
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought I would take the time and upgrade my already great k5 into the k5II.

I really hope they do something better tbh, as it stands the k30 would be a much better buy.. although I do love the quite shutter of the k5 . Also looking at what some of the others are doing.. I really hope the spec sheet and images are just a joke like my image (as I painted the II on edit).

Name:  k52.jpg
Views: 10785
Size:  138.4 KB
09-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #334
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Usuqa Quote
I really hope they do something better tbh, as it stands the k30 would be a much better buy.. although I do love the quite shutter of the k5 . Also looking at what some of the others are doing.. I really hope the spec sheet and images are just a joke like my image (as I painted the II on edit).
At this point in the game, anythings possible.
Then again... this is all part of the excitement following the leaks and rumors of product releases.

09-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Prime II? That's a shame, the less expensive K-30 will have better video and playback speed. I even expect focus peaking is a Prime M feature.

Perhaps the hardware redesign necessary to replace the Prime II with M was prohibitive.
09-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #336
Pentaxian

Or perhaps Prime M is limited to 12 bits RAW.
09-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #337
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Usuqa Quote
I thought I would take the time and upgrade my already great k5 into the k5II.

Attachment 140118
I assume the AF is even better than the k-30, if it's SAFOX X

09-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #338
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe most of the K-5 users are not interesting on whatever K-5ll, K-5lls or K-5n are.
Pentax just keep on disappointing their supports only !
09-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #339
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NightPorter Quote
I believe most of the K-5 users are not interesting on whatever K-5ll, K-5lls or K-5n are.
Pentax just keep on disappointing their supports only !
So wait for the k-3...

I am a k-x user, and I think I speak for most k-x/k-r users that have been afraid to get a k-5 because of the reports of AF issues - if the k-5ii has properly improved AF, it's good for us.
09-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #340
Veteran Member

Pentaxians are a tough bunch to please. For the past two years on this forum all I heard about is how the K-5 is a great camera, but it needed better AF. Pentax listen and gave us a K-5 with better AF and we are complaining. Also notice how the price of the new K-5ii is lower at introduction than the original K-5 was at introduction. By the time the K-3 is announced early next year there the price of the K-5ii will have creeper down a little lower. The K-5ii sounds like it will be a really great camera. I might just get one for the improved AF and I already own two K-5 bodies.

Dave
09-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #341
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Pentaxians are a tough bunch to please. For the past two years on this forum all I heard about is how the K-5 is a great camera, but it needed better AF. Pentax listen and gave us a K-5 with better AF and we are complaining. Also notice how the price of the new K-5ii is lower at introduction than the original K-5 was at introduction. By the time the K-3 is announced early next year there the price of the K-5ii will have creeper down a little lower. The K-5ii sounds like it will be a really great camera. I might just get one for the improved AF and I already own two K-5 bodies.

Dave
I agee. We shall see what the full spec sheet says, but this looks like a direct response to the "I love my K-5, but can you improve the AF please?" threads that litter this forum.
09-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #342
Veteran Member

Dave
Agreed. I like the fact that the excellent K-7/K-5 design is kept and further improved internally. For me this means I'll continue using a similar body while still keeping up with technological evolution. To be honest, I was kind of hoping Pentax wouldn't change the body design again (like they did between K20D and K-7, albeit for the better) both from a financial (batteries, grip, focus screen) and a useability point-of-view.

I really don't see why a redesign would be required. I cannot see the big brands change their offerings that much in terms of body design from one generation to the next, so why wouldn't Pentax be entitled to stick with a winning design?

Wim
09-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #343
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Sorry guys, I'm not impressed. I mean a K-5 is a great camera in many ways and with an improved autofocus it will obviously be even better. But this is probably more or less the camera that the original K-5 should have been to begin with and now they're releasing it two years later and at a higher price. Yawn.
I agree with this, very dissappointing.

Dave
Well, I think personally that Pentaxians are among the most patient of all camera supporters. What people are possibly disappointed with is that Pentax do not seem to be keeping effective pace with the other major manufacturers, and while that is forgiveable to a certain extent due to the internal issues we know Pentax have, there does come a point where you see a new release which is essentially a tweak of a 2 year old camera, compare it to the cameras others are releasing that for the most part represent a clear step up from the previous model, and start to become a little miffed.

I think all but the most fervently die-hard Pentaxians would agree that the K5 II is realistically in no way worth an upgrade if you already have a K5.

For my part, I will be looking at what happens in the wake of Photokina before deciding whether to take a K30 and keep my existing kit, or amicably part ways.
09-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #344
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
You've not seen a single official press release with specs or anything like that (not to mention actually having a camera in your hand and trying it out).

But of course, you have to be "not impressed."
09-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #345
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I am a k-x user, and I think I speak for most k-x/k-r users that have been afraid to get a k-5 because of the reports of AF issues - if the k-5ii has properly improved AF, it's good for us.
True enough. (K-x user here, too). I don't know if P-R really created the K-5 II in response to user complaints about the K-5's AF system, but I guess this is part of Ricoh's "first step" into going full throttle against the big boys - not really "fix" an already great camera, but give it the features to make it shine. Though I still do hope it will have a new processor so it can incorporate the K-30's new features... because, for now that these two are the only "confirmed" bodies for release - then I'm hoping all the best from them.

If a K-3 is announced formally or gets leaked with verifiable content, then all the more I'm getting excited about Pentax's future. This is just the beginning. And like monochrome said before - Ricoh has a plan, and we will might be happy.
Closed Thread