Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
Good point. This is something I need to read up on as I'm getting older and manual focus is more difficult these days. (One reason for the D700 - bigger brighter viewfinder with a larger view window.)
I agree about the larger viewfinder. That is another reason to stay with the Pentaprism instead of the Penta mirror. I am also interested in, but a bit skeptical of, the replacement focusing screens too. I just wish that we could have a viewfinder like the ones on the SF-1 and other old AF Pentax film cameras (and no, it doesn't have to be FF for me).

09-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Touch screen?!
09-07-2012, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #78
Forum Member

I simply don't understand why anyone would think that Pentax would release an updated version of the K5. From a marketing standpoint it makes no sense whatsoever to trot out a minor re-tread of a model you have already discontinued, especially when you are already planning to release a successor product, the K3.

An updated K5n/II/s only makes sense if the K3 is a full frame body, which I think everyone realizes will not be the case. Even then, I would expect the FF body to have a different nomenclature and the top end APS-C DLSR to still be called the K3, even if it is an updated K5. For all we know at this point the K3 will be an updated version of the K5 body, but hopefully also with the improvements from the K30, dual processors and with some other goodies.

Also, IMO Pentax needs an entry level DSLR a lot more than a mid-high model crammed into the very small market space between the K30 and K3. There is no scenario where a K300/K30/K5n/K3 APS-C lineup makes sense, IMO.

If Pentax sees a real market for a model w/o an AA filter I would expect it to be a variation of either the K3 or K30.
09-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lupine Quote
I simply don't understand why anyone would think that Pentax would release an updated version of the K5. From a marketing standpoint it makes no sense whatsoever to trot out a minor re-tread of a model you have already discontinued, especially when you are already planning to release a successor product, the K3.

An updated K5n/II/s only makes sense if the K3 is a full frame body, which I think everyone realizes will not be the case. Even then, I would expect the FF body to have a different nomenclature and the top end APS-C DLSR to still be called the K3, even if it is an updated K5. For all we know at this point the K3 will be an updated version of the K5 body, but hopefully also with the improvements from the K30, dual processors and with some other goodies.

Also, IMO Pentax needs an entry level DSLR a lot more than a mid-high model crammed into the very small market space between the K30 and K3. There is no scenario where a K300/K30/K5n/K3 APS-C lineup makes sense, IMO.

If Pentax sees a real market for a model w/o an AA filter I would expect it to be a variation of either the K3 or K30.
An updated K-5 would make sense only if the K-3 is a SERIOUS step up. The only way I see that happening is if the K-3 had a revamped AF system, not just tweaked. I hope that's the case!

09-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #80

Photos: Gallery
Still only rumours, even though I did expect some leaks before the weekend to create some additional interest before the launch on monday or tuesday. I think it makes perfect sense to produce a slightly updated K-5. It is a very succeful model, so why not keep it alive for another 2-year period. Not for us already owning a K-5, but for those that still has not decided, and start thinking K-5 is getting to old to buy new. For us with a K-5 they will (hopefully) provide K-3 as an upgrade.

Regarding the K-5 IIs, again just a rumour so far, but I guess it would be a cheap way to create more models om the market. IF it is true I hope they are not just followers, but takes the lead by also removing the colour filter. Imagine the resolution would woudl get from the 16M without a colour filter, like 4 times what we have today. Add a weaker AA filter to that, and WOW, no need for MF by reasons of resolution for sure.
09-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #81
Veteran Member

K-5 still seems to have the best APS-C sensor available. A retread is not out of the question.
09-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
So, are the pics any different from a K-5 except for the white paint that says II and IIs? I think the key would be if the lens release button is different. We know the current design is defective, although I'm not sure if the fix for it requires a redesign that would be visual or just bettter parts.
Same design as the K7 and they weren't dropping buttons left and right - it's an internal part that is the issue i think.

09-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
K-5 still seems to have the best APS-C sensor available. A retread is not out of the question.
The 16MP sensor is in at least 3 Pentax bodies, 4 Sony bodies and 2 Nikon bodies...... Probably in 2 Fuji bodies.

What can Pentax offer in the K-5II to make it stand out against all the other Sony based bodies?
09-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The 16MP sensor is in at least 3 Pentax bodies, 4 Sony bodies and 2 Nikon bodies...... Probably in 2 Fuji bodies.

What can Pentax offer in the K-5II to make it stand out against all the other Sony based bodies?
Better use of the sensor: SW and lack of SLT.
09-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #85
Veteran Member

It's not a Sony for one. Seriously, Pentax has some killer glass, their ability to wring performance out of the sensors was proven with the original K-5 and its head-to-head win over the competition with regard to sensor performance. If they kept the same body and most internals then cost is minimal in "retooling" and they have the distinct advantage of selling to established Pentaxians, having their current K-5s go downstream to other users, and having a more complete lineup for shelf space thereby attracting more customers to the entire Pentax system. I am sure there are other pluses that I have missed.
09-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
An updated K-5 would make sense only if the K-3 is a SERIOUS step up. The only way I see that happening is if the K-3 had a revamped AF system, not just tweaked. I hope that's the case!

Totally agree. It is kind of like Canon having the 60D and the 7D or Nikon having the D7000 and the D300s. The K3 will have better AF, better sensor better processor and larger buffer along with a lot more improvements.

It will be interesting to see what the K-3 ends up being. I still don't think it will be announced until January for CP+. Having the entry level K-z and K5ii is enough to get out at one time. Plus a new Q10 and a few other goodies.

Dave
09-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It's not a Sony for one. Seriously, Pentax has some killer glass, their ability to wring performance out of the sensors was proven with the original K-5 and its head-to-head win over the competition with regard to sensor performance. If they kept the same body and most internals then cost is minimal in "retooling" and they have the distinct advantage of selling to established Pentaxians, having their current K-5s go downstream to other users, and having a more complete lineup for shelf space thereby attracting more customers to the entire Pentax system. I am sure there are other pluses that I have missed.
1. Everyone has killer glass. The Sony CZ is pretty damn good and Nikon glass pays the bills for a lot of professionals.
2. The margin of superiority of the K-5 sensor over the same sensor in other bodies is not overly field relevant. For field use it is a draw.
3. What is the "distinct advantage of selling to established Pentaxians" worth? We are talking about +/- 5% market share here. K-mount market share is so irrelevant that it has been abandoned by Zeiss, Voigtlander, & Tamron.
09-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Rumor has it that the 16MP sesnor in the K5ii is a new and improved sensor over the K30 and K01 16MP sesnor. Could just be marketing.

Dave
09-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #89
Veteran Member

1. Everyone has killer glass. The Sony CZ is pretty damn good and Nikon glass pays the bills for a lot of professionals.
2. The margin of superiority of the K-5 sensor over the same sensor in other bodies is not overly field relevant. For field use it is a draw.
3. What is the "distinct advantage of selling to established Pentaxians" worth? We are talking about +/- 5% market share here. K-mount market share is so irrelevant that it has been abandoned by Zeiss, Voigtlander, & Tamron.
One 1 - I don't see others force fitting Nikon and Canon lenses to their non-Canikon cameras. I do see Pentax Limited glass on many other brands of camera....hmmm....
As to #2 - your opinion, others mileage has varied a bit.
For 3 - read the entire sentence, not merely the out of context sound bite you quoted. It causes a cascade with old K-5s going to people who want, but can not afford, a new one. It broadens the range of offerings thereby enhancing the image of Pentax as a "real" and "full service" camera company. It adds shelf space and options for the new entry to dSLRs and to those who might just switch.
09-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #90
Veteran Member

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ffs

http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/
Closed Thread