Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #91

Photos: Albums
A better K5! I'll wait and see how this stacks up against the K3, but I know this; I will own one of them.

09-07-2012, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sad truth is as fake as the K-5 II may be, it's actually more realistic than a FF for Pentax. To think about it they don't have the R&D to create a FF lens or body, hell they don't even have enough money to just simply overhaul the AF system on Pentax cameras. Just look at it, the K-30 is only minor improvements on the AF, they don't have the budget to totally revamp the AF to truly make it better. It's just going to be SAFOX this and that for years to come rather than a brand new AF system called ASDF or something. If they had the money, I would rather take an APS-C with significant AF improvements over a FF with the same fricking SAFOX IIIIIIIIII, SAFOX IXIXIXIXIXI, SAFOX ABC, etc.
09-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Sad truth is as fake as the K-5 II may be, it's actually more realistic than a FF for Pentax. To think about it they don't have the R&D to create a FF lens or body, hell they don't even have enough money to just simply overhaul the AF system on Pentax cameras. Just look at it, the K-30 is only minor improvements on the AF, they don't have the budget to totally revamp the AF to truly make it better. It's just going to be SAFOX this and that for years to come rather than a brand new AF system called ASDF or something.
Didn't have the budge - past tense. They do now but it does take a while if you are going to completely revamp the AF system. I'm not sure 10 months is actually long enough if they wanted to do it completely different.
09-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #94
Site Supporter

Just to say. I think it is probably real, but it doesn't make much sense. Multiple cameras with roughly the same sensor, different specs and body types smacks of Canon who sticks the same sensor in all of their APS-C cameras from the T1i to the 7D. Different fps and such, but still the same.

09-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Internet fight!!!!!
Keep it in the same place!
Compromise: they shoul allow other buttons already on the body to function as the Green button - eg the RAW/FX button.
09-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by NightPorter Quote
Just repeat the old model and still using APSC senor.
Do you know APSC senor uses in mirrorless camera which is a trend in the market
And FF camera is coming popular (competitive price) in DSLR market today
But Pentax never respect and heard it's supporters voices
I think Pentax did hear the voice of the majority of its supporters. Many of us couldn't care less about full frame. Hopefully this version fixed some of the AF problems. Now Pentax, amaze us by bringing your flash system into the 21 century.
09-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #97
Forum Member

Pentax

Guess my K20D is outdated.... heheh
09-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #98
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The 16MP sensor is in at least 3 Pentax bodies, 4 Sony bodies and 2 Nikon bodies...... Probably in 2 Fuji bodies.

What can Pentax offer in the K-5II to make it stand out against all the other Sony based bodies?
I don't have enough inside info to speak authoritatively as to whether the 16mp sensor in the k-5 is the same as in the k-01 or k-30, but I can tell you that you've missed one of the big features that is exclusive to the K-5: it has 14 bit RAW while the others are 12 bit.

I find this interesting, because apparently, according to this:
(SR5) A first for Sony: 14bit RAW files on the A99! | sonyalpharumors the soon-to-be-announced FF Sony A99 will be Sony's FIRST 14 bit camera. (the rumors say the A99 sensor will be in the Pentax FF, but Pentax has to give Sony 6 month's lead time).

Mouse over the image on this page to see a 12 bit vs 14 bit image 14-bit Raw Versus 12-bit Raw: Further Analysis and Comparison - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light

09-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #99

Just bought "new" old K-5

Rumours, hopes, wild speculation aside, I couldn't resist an in-stock K-5 (version I) for under $900.

Justification:
1. Tired of K-7 noise
2. Worried that K-3 will be full frame at something like $2500
3. If K-5II has any significant improvements, well I've always wanted two bodies in the bag.
09-07-2012, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #100
Pentaxian

Sad truth is as fake as the K-5 II may be, it's actually more realistic than a FF for Pentax. To think about it they don't have the R&D to create a FF lens or body, hell they don't even have enough money to just simply overhaul the AF system on Pentax cameras. Just look at it, the K-30 is only minor improvements on the AF, they don't have the budget to totally revamp the AF to truly make it better. It's just going to be SAFOX this and that for years to come rather than a brand new AF system called ASDF or something. If they had the money, I would rather take an APS-C with significant AF improvements over a FF with the same fricking SAFOX IIIIIIIIII, SAFOX IXIXIXIXIXI, SAFOX ABC, etc.
"Sad truth"? The future's bright, and Photokina is just the beginning

It's unreasonable to expect them to "totally revamp the AF" in the $850 K-30. That's D5100/650D's price, with added weather sealing, dual control wheels, in-body stabilization, 100% pentaprism viewfinder and other goodies. And if we're looking at the Nikon/Canon's AF... surprise! They weren't "totally revamped" either!
On the contrary, "fixing" the SAFOX IX was the correct decision; a new, better and more expensive AF can only be introduced in a highly priced camera.

And even a much improved AF would still be called SAFOX, because that's how they're calling it. What's important is how well it performs, not the name.
09-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #101
Site Supporter

An improvement that would make sense would be infinite shutter releases when doing interval shooting. Or a limit greater than 999.
09-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Just to say. I think it is probably real, but it doesn't make much sense. Multiple cameras with roughly the same sensor, different specs and body types smacks of Canon who sticks the same sensor in all of their APS-C cameras from the T1i to the 7D. Different fps and such, but still the same.
Maybe not good for you, but Canon's sizeable market share is probably at least in someways due to the above.
09-07-2012, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #103
Veteran Member

To think about it they don't have the R&D to create a FF lens
You should tell Pentax that. They think they have 10 of them.
09-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #104
Pentaxian

Great, sign me up for one of those baby's.
09-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Compromise: they shoul allow other buttons already on the body to function as the Green button - eg the RAW/FX button.
Sounds good. I'd also like a middle finger of the right hand-button for DOF rather than the current place (like Nikon does). That would let me take an instant picture like my old K-200D could do.
Closed Thread