Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #196
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
You're angry that on *pentax*forums- not photographyforums - people incessantly talk about possible Pentax cameras?
If everybody was just "talking" I wouldnt be miffed, the general tone on here recently and response to basically any news has been negative and dark. Despite the fact that much news so far is promising.

I dont even need a FF, but I still think Pentax will make one with the 24.3 FF sensor everyone else and their dog will be using in the next year. I just hope they announce something soon so at least the whining can shift from whether they are making a FF (and if not they are doomed/im leaving) to what the specs are

Even if all we get is this mythical K-5II/s it does sound like quite the upgrade

Last edited by Deimos; 09-09-2012 at 10:22 AM.
09-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #197
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I found the answer to my own question about price for the Mk II's

"Two more leaks: the Pentax K-5 II and Pentax K-5 IIs DSLR cameras will replace the current K-5 model and are expected to hit stores in mid-October. The K-5 II Japanese price is expected to be ¥110,000 (around $1,400) the K-5 IIs will cost around ¥120,000 (around $1,500)."

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: Pentax K-5 II and K-5 IIs DSLR cameras | Photo Rumors
I wonder if they will really reuse K-5 body with only very minor changes. Not much reason to change it unless internals required it. And the productions lines are already tried tested and true (and likely well paid for by now)
09-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
I wonder if they will really reuse K-5 body with only very minor changes. Not much reason to change it unless internals required it. And the productions lines are already tried tested and true (and likely well paid for by now)
I agree. The changes listed do not appear to require any external change. So, same body, same WR, same grip fittings, etc. which are all pluses in my book.
09-09-2012, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree. The changes listed do not appear to require any external change.
As far as external form is concerned, could there by any other way to top the K-5? It's so... close to perfection.

09-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Would that be Pentax - the original company, or Pentax - the Hoya company, or Pentax - the Ricoh company?
I don't see what that matters. Regardless of ownership, Pentax has given no indication over the years that a 135 format dslr was in the works or in the plans.

Sure, that could change at anytime. That's why I said the surprise will be if they do announce a 135 format dslr. It's no surprise at all that up to this point there is no such indication.
09-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #201
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NightPorter Quote
Just repeat the old model and still using APSC senor.
Do you know APSC senor uses in mirrorless camera which is a trend in the market
And FF camera is coming popular (competitive price) in DSLR market today
But Pentax never respect and heard it's supporters voices

I must have dreamed that there was a K-01 out there.

sarcasm
09-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
My concern about the K-5II and K-5IIs is that because we have images of this model and that Pentax are making two versions of it we won't see a higher end model (e.g. the K-3).

A refreshed K-5 is a good idea if the price gets lowered a bit and the refreshed elements are genuinely useful. I am disappointed that we aren't getting an articulated display as this would help justify a refresh. However it only truly makes sense if we see a higher end / more advanced model because otherwise Pentax will start to fall behind the competition.

Why is everybody wanting a articulating screen name one high end camera that has one there is a reason for that there is no way to make one that is tough enough or reliable enough to withstand the torture that the body itself takes. It just makes a weak spot that would be more trouble than it is worth if the new K-5 replacement has a articulating screen I will defiantly be skipping it and waiting for the K-3 or whatever they come out with as the high end camera.

09-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #203
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I don't see what that matters. Regardless of ownership, Pentax has given no indication over the years that a 135 format dslr was in the works or in the plans.

Sure, that could change at anytime. That's why I said the surprise will be if they do announce a 135 format dslr. It's no surprise at all that up to this point there is no such indication.
I think what Tom was getting at is that Ricoh Pentax isn't bound to anything said by the Hoya boys or Pentax when it was independent.
09-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #204
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
Why is everybody wanting a articulating screen name one high end camera that has one there is a reason for that there is no way to make one that is tough enough or reliable enough to withstand the torture that the body itself takes. It just makes a weak spot that would be more trouble than it is worth if the new K-5 replacement has a articulating screen I will defiantly be skipping it and waiting for the K-3 or whatever they come out with as the high end camera.
I only mention it because the articulating screen was part of the original K-5n rumour.

And also an articulating screen doesn't make the camera inherently less durable. For a start if someone is that paranoid about it they don't have to use it. Also Olympus has show several times that this concern is largely unfounded.

You talk about torture the body takes - what do you do to your cameras?
09-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #205
Site Supporter

I only mention it because the articulating screen was part of the original K-5n rumour.

And also an articulating screen doesn't make the camera inherently less durable. For a start if someone is that paranoid about it they don't have to use it. Also Olympus has show several times that this concern is largely unfounded.

I would imagine that it would make weathersealing problematic though or at least more expensive.
09-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #206
Veteran Member

Cant wait for all the whiners to leave, this forum is getting really unpleasant... God people need to take some photos or go buy a FF. ... <stomps, throws a tantrum, and runs off to the crib with blankey in hand>"... they sure as hell aren't going to rush it because some whiners on PF threaten to jump ship.
You know, you DON'T have to read the news and rumors threads if other people's views wind you up that bad. And whining about whining is whining too.
09-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #207
Veteran Member

I would imagine that it would make weathersealing problematic though or at least more expensive.
it may make it marginally more expensive because you need one or two extra seals but that didn't stop Olympus produce extremely reliable weathersealing.
09-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #208
Veteran Member

With all the crawling around through the trees and bushes chasing bugs I just give mine minor torture but I can see where I could break it off. Olympus as far as I know has never made a weather sealed articulating screen if it is not weather sealed it would not work to say just do not use it because the fact that it was there would make the whole camera not weather sealed. Articulating screens are on the lower end cameras as a selling point for the people that move up from a point and shoot that will use live view more than the view finder or the ones doing more video than still shots. I have used live view on my 3 Pentax DSLR's a grand total of 4 times in the last 4 years and 2 of those were to try out the video on the K-x and the K-5. Why would I spend the money to have a rugged Magnesium frame camera just to have a little flimsy plastic LCD hanging off the back of it?
09-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #209
Veteran Member

With all the crawling around through the trees and bushes chasing bugs I just give mine minor torture but I can see where I could break it off. Olympus as far as I know has never made a weather sealed articulating screen if it is not weather sealed it would not work to say just do not use it because the fact that it was there would make the whole camera not weather sealed. Articulating screens are on the lower end cameras as a selling point for the people that move up from a point and shoot that will use live view more than the view finder or the ones doing more video than still shots. I have used live view on my 3 Pentax DSLR's a grand total of 4 times in the last 4 years and 2 of those were to try out the video on the K-x and the K-5. Why would I spend the money to have a rugged Magnesium frame camera just to have a little flimsy plastic LCD hanging off the back of it?
Their OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 is weather sealed and has a tilting screen. Not what I would call fully articulated but it does move. It's really too new to know what the reliability figures are on the screen yet (released in April as I recall).
09-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #210
Veteran Member

Both the E-5 and the E-3 are weathersealed with articulating screens.

Personally I could get a lot of use out of an articulating screen for macro, tripod and more creative shooting.
Closed Thread