Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 04:36 PM - 14 Likes   #226
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I find this highly offensive. I do not come to a photography forum to be subjected to anecdotes of elite mercenaries killing in immoral invasions.
And aren't you fortunate to not only have the right to be offended, but the right to express that you are offended.

For my part, I'm offended at your characterization of the fine men and women of the US armed forces putting their lives on the line, spilling their precious blood, and dying far from home in defense of my life, liberty, and property rights.

Personally, I don't think US troops should ever be stationed overseas fighting on foreign soil. I would prefer they defend the American people here at home. I believe the federal government can do a better job at lower cost by engaging in defense at home, not offense overseas. But that's not my call, and I direct my displeasure at the worthless politicians, not at the brave and selfless members of our armed forces.

09-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #227
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think what Tom was getting at is that Ricoh Pentax isn't bound to anything said by the Hoya boys or Pentax when it was independent.
And what I'm getting at is it doesn't matter who owns/owned Pentax.

Whether or not Pentax has been independent or a subsidiary, there is a history of dedication to the APS-C format.

Ricoh has owned Pentax for over a year now. In that year, they have given no indication that they intend to introduce a 135 format dslr. Therefore, the suprise will be if they do announce one, not that they haven't.

I don't understand why so many people seem to be having so much difficulty grasping that simple concept.
09-09-2012, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought Heie presented an articulate and objective reason for his point of view on the K5. Because his surroundings are not to the liking of someone, doesn't detract from the argument that that is the context for the comment on durability.
09-09-2012, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
For my part, I'm offended at your characterization of the fine men and women of the US armed forces putting their lives on the line, spilling their precious blood, and dying far from home in defense of my life, liberty, and property rights.
'Mercenaries'. Sadly, not a surprising characterization. The guy's in Afghanistan.

I'm trying to keep this from blowing up into a locked thread; perhaps we should all just agree that any discussion should continue in P&R.

09-09-2012, 05:12 PM - 6 Likes   #230
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I find this highly offensive. I do not come to a photography forum to be subjected to anecdotes of elite mercenaries killing in immoral invasions.
The referred post doesn't insult anyone nor does it set out to offend anyone. Even if not in the P&R forum, it is an account of the durability of the camera. What you have done is complain about the political disagreement you have with the war depicted by the post, which is a personal viewpoint. If you dislike it, you can choose not to read or respond to it in future.

Back to topic please.
09-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #231
Veteran Member

I like the tilt screen feature, but I only used it occasionally on my E-3. It is by no means a "must have" and it is one more thing that can break. My E-3 experienced some pretty extreme abuse including a full roll in a kayak, a few drops and having some 30-40lb backpacks dropped on it and some big logs for firewood. Never had a problem of any kind with the durability or weather sealing and I can't say that the tilting LCD was a weak link.

The CDAF was average and I never use liveView so having a tilting LCD is of minimal importance to me. For some cameras and for certain types of photography I would want a tilting LCD. If we see a MF EVIL like the Samsung prototype I would definitely want a tilting LCD for that type of camera. I think it would be a good feature on the K-01 line. For the K-3 that is primarily a PDAF OVF camera I think Pentax should focus on other aspects of the camera and leave a tilting LCD for another model.
09-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #232
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If Pentax can pull off the same amount of durability on a new camera with at least a swivel screen - that'd be most welcome.

I'd appreciate it on macro shooting low on the ground. Sometimes it can be impossible to see anything with the camera amongst the grass even when lying low.

09-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I found the answer to my own question about price for the Mk II's

"Two more leaks: the Pentax K-5 II and Pentax K-5 IIs DSLR cameras will replace the current K-5 model and are expected to hit stores in mid-October. The K-5 II Japanese price is expected to be ¥110,000 (around $1,400) the K-5 IIs will cost around ¥120,000 (around $1,500)."

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: Pentax K-5 II and K-5 IIs DSLR cameras | Photo Rumors
So in other words, buy a K5 "Classic" now. If the K5 II(s) ends up costing 1400-1500 it doesn't really seem worth it. Unless I've missed something, it seems like the upgrades you're getting are mostly software updates for an additional $500-600.

I'm really hoping that I missed something in the rumors because the K5 II doesn't really seem like an upgrade. If the K5 is currently selling for around 900 (new), why would anyone want the K5 II for 1400? (I really am asking).
09-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #234
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I'm really hoping that I missed something in the rumors because the K5 II doesn't really seem like an upgrade. If the K5 is currently selling for around 900 (new), why would anyone want the K5 II for 1400? (I really am asking).
The K-5 is out of production so supplies wont last. I don't see the K-5II or IIs as a significant upgrade for anyone who already has a K-5. The AF would have to be significantly improved when it comes to low-light and accuracy. We might see a significantly bigger buffer and much better HD video features for what those would be worth.

If Pentax releases a K-3 with the 24MP sensor, no AA filter, better DR and lower noise than the K-5, and significantly better AF and buffer, with a FF sized VF, then I see reason to upgrade.
09-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So in other words, buy a K5 "Classic" now. If the K5 II(s) ends up costing 1400-1500 it doesn't really seem worth it. Unless I've missed something, it seems like the upgrades you're getting are mostly software updates for an additional $500-600.

My only reason would be improved AF for kid`s sports and USB3.0. Several hundred spend in the latest goal keeper gloves gave me a wake-up alright. Stop bitching about couple hundred, all it is is just the tip of the ice-burgh.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-09-2012 at 05:43 PM.
09-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The K-5 is out of production so supplies wont last. I don't see the K-5II or IIs as a significant upgrade for anyone who already has a K-5. The AF would have to be significantly improved when it comes to low-light and accuracy. We might see a significantly bigger buffer and much better HD video features for what those would be worth.

If Pentax releases a K-3 with the 24MP sensor, no AA filter, better DR and lower noise than the K-5, and significantly better AF and buffer, with a FF sized VF, then I see reason to upgrade.
I don't own a K5 right now and have been waiting for the replacement to upgrade. It almost feels as though I should just stop waiting and upgrade now so that I can just save $500. I haven't seen anything that implies that these aren't just firmware upgrades that are coming with the K5 II.
09-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #237
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't own a K5 right now and have been waiting for the replacement to upgrade. It almost feels as though I should just stop waiting and upgrade now so that I can just save $500. I haven't seen anything that implies that these aren't just firmware upgrades that are coming with the K5 II.
If the AF is improved, then they probably put the new SAFOX chip from the K-30 into the K-5 II... then, that'd be more than a firmware upgrade.
09-09-2012, 05:44 PM - 3 Likes   #238
mee
Veteran Member

From reading the last few pages of this thread I have come to this conclusion -->

from http://xkcd.com/386/
09-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
My only reason would be improved AF for kid`s sports and USB3.0.
I would love that too. I just wonder how much of the AF improvements is software and how much is just hardware. There doesn't seem to be any hardware improvements so it seems like whatever firmware they use for the K5 II could improve the K5 as well. I wonder if Pentax would release that software/firmware upgrade to current K5 users.

As I've stated in previous posts, I feel really disappointed by the current rumors. They feel like a huge let down. I was really looking forward to upgrading in the next month or two. Doesn't really seem like any real upgrades are coming out anytime soon. I'm still hoping the current K5 II rumors are false (even thought they seem to be pretty confirmed) and that there will be something worthwhile that appears later this month. Is it next week that the press releases will start to go out for Pentax?

I have no problem paying 1400 or 1500 if the release is worth it. Right now it doesn't. Paying close to a grand for a camera that was released almost two years ago doesn't seem worth it either. Whatever I buy in the next few months will be my camera for the next few years, I want to have as little regret as possible.
09-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #240
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would love that too. I just wonder how much of the AF improvements is software and how much is just hardware. There doesn't seem to be any hardware improvements so it seems like whatever firmware they use for the K5 II could improve the K5 as well. I wonder if Pentax would release that software/firmware upgrade to current K5 users.

As I've stated in previous posts, I feel really disappointed by the current rumors. They feel like a huge let down. I was really looking forward to upgrading in the next month or two. Doesn't really seem like any real upgrades are coming out anytime soon. I'm still hoping the current K5 II rumors are false (even thought they seem to be pretty confirmed) and that there will be something worthwhile that appears later this month. Is it next week that the press releases will start to go out for Pentax?

I have no problem paying 1400 or 1500 if the release is worth it. Right now it doesn't. Paying close to a grand for a camera that was released almost two years ago doesn't seem worth it either. Whatever I buy in the next few months will be my camera for the next few years, I want to have as little regret as possible.
Well, all it is rumors at this point. I plan to sit tight and see what pans out. The current K5 is a beast and will be hard to top.
Closed Thread