Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 04:57 AM   #301
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
But if a K-3 were to come out... hmm. I wonder how much that one will cost. If the D600 comes out at let's say $2000 to $2300, will a 24-mp K-3 be good enough to challenge it?
Not if it is a very similar price and aps-c. I just don't see people staying on crop sensor if they can get into ff for the same price. This is where the lens roller coaster hurts them. You could argue a better affordablity in lenses, but now...not such a huge advantage. Keeping the same grip is good, but not enough.

IMO the k5 II rumored improvements are weak. Canon went from a 5d mark II to a mark III this year and those changes were much more significant. They also had a change in AF and it was huge. I just don't think these rumored changes are enough to warrant a significantly higher price. I also don't think they will entice every k5 owner out there to run out and upgrade. Many of us are going to either wait for the k3 or a decent FF rumor.

I don't know, maybe I am just disappointed by the rumors (or lack of...). I understand that getting a FF ready in such a short time was impossible, but use a well timed rumor/leak to assure your client base that you do plan to keep moving forward.

09-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #302
Veteran Member

Allison, have you actually seen the changes in action? How can you be disappointed by something that is only a rumour at this stage and compare it to something that's already materialised?
09-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #303
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Not if it is a very similar price and aps-c. I just don't see people staying on crop sensor if they can get into ff for the same price. .
But what kind of FF do you get for that price? It will be FF entry level. I don't think those are as capable as the FF's we are all talking about.
09-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrok Quote
- Supports up to ~ +18 EV-3EV is AF. High accuracy corresponding to the luminous flux of F2.8
Does this mean that new AF system will have precise f/2.8 AF sensor?

09-10-2012, 05:13 AM   #305
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mace Quote
I also agree that we cannot expect too much influence from Ricoh in these products. One year is really short to change a product line. Don't forget, that in order to produce a new camera, you will have to calculate potential market shares, identify needs, calculate cost benefits of it, design the camera, overcome technical issues, change your machines, agree with your suppliers (e.g. beg sony to make their sensor available), give them details about the pieces that they will have to supply, set up new delivery plans with your suppliers ...
What on Earth are you talking about?
Since when you work for Pentax / Ricoh to have any positive clue about the inner workings, trade agreements, technology exchange and deals in general in the imaging industry?
09-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #306
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
And what I'm getting at is it doesn't matter who owns/owned Pentax.

Whether or not Pentax has been independent or a subsidiary, there is a history of dedication to the APS-C format.

Ricoh has owned Pentax for over a year now. In that year, they have given no indication that they intend to introduce a 135 format dslr. Therefore, the suprise will be if they do announce one, not that they haven't.

I don't understand why so many people seem to be having so much difficulty grasping that simple concept.
The comments we made wasn't about whether or not anyone would be surprised either way. They were that Pentax Ricoh isn't bound by a press comment made under Hoya. That is a very simple concept to grasp. However, Pentax did spent time and R&D developing a full frame digital body.
09-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #307
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Specs added....

09-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #308
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
Allison, have you actually seen the changes in action? How can you be disappointed by something that is only a rumour at this stage and compare it to something that's already materialised?
Now you're becoming too serious; are people supposed to be disappointed only on the face value of FACTS?
Rumours and nonsense excluded from making complains about non-material things?
09-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #309
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
That is what it was said to be. a K-5 with some tweaks, "Prime other than II" would probably be something entirely new, most likely the K-3 which I have doubts about if they release two K-5II versions, at least this photokina.
The problem is though that I thought that Prime M was what enabled the K-01 and K-30's improved video modes along with general operational speed enhancements. It sounds like the K-5II may lack these improvements.
09-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #310
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
However, Pentax did spent time and R&D developing a full frame digital body.
Are you referring at an experiment from the year of 2000, or are you an R&D team leader at Pentax/Ricoh?
09-10-2012, 05:24 AM   #311
Veteran Member

Pentax Spain has also just removed the (three) twitter posts it made about the K-5II and Q10. Now there's nothing there except some old stuff from 6 Sept:
Pentax Ricoh Espaņa (PentaxSpain) on Twitter

The purge continues.
09-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #312
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
The problem is though that I thought that Prime M was what enabled the K-01 and K-30's improved video modes along with general operational speed enhancements. It sounds like the K-5II may lack these improvements.
How do you guess that without any official announcement about the K5-II's image engine peculiar details?
09-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #313
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Official image of K-5 II added...
09-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #314
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
How do you guess that without any official announcement about the K5-II's image engine peculiar details?
Because the spec list that's doing the rounds says Prime II.

Of course this could be wrong hence my use of the words "It sounds like the K-5II may lack these improvements"
09-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #315
Veteran Member

This morning, I went to the Benelux Pentax Service Centre in Antwerp to have a focussing issue with my FA 77 mm solved.
While waiting for my gear to be serviced, checked and tested; yes, they did it for the whole bunch: K-5 + DA 15 mm + DA 21 mm + DA 35 mm macro + FA 43 mm + FA 77 mm and the DA 100 mm macro, in two hours and for free!
Well, while waiting, I had a chat with a Pentax men, he told me that a K-5n will be presented on the next Photokina. This K-5n, n from new I suppose, will be a 'musculled' K-5 to which the best K-30 features will be added,"... and somme more". And no K-3 or what so ever, that's all he wanted to tell, "Wait and see" he said...

Off course he's just telling what he wants to, or is allowed to, but that mysterious at-the-same-time giving and withholding information is rather exiting isn't it?
It's all part of the game!
Closed Thread