Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #361
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It means that the AF sensor has MUCH better sensitivity in low light. it's actual for any light condition - even at daytime in shady places, woods and e.t.c.
That's good.

09-10-2012, 08:51 AM - 2 Likes   #362
Pentaxian

Joking aside, the -3EV should help even in normal low light/low contrast conditions; not only when taking pictures of black cats in coal mines.
09-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #363
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
This could be true I guess but then why still call it the K-5 as a 24mp sensor would be a major change. Especially as K-3 would fit well with the naming of the K-30.
The K-5 is a great brand with a lot of goodwill. Why call the 5D Mark III a 5D? Why not a 3D?
09-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #364
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OK technically but how many times do you have to focus in the dark?
I can take the best carnaval pics after dusk...
Ofcourse new dslr will only arrive too late for that...

09-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #365
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This could be true I guess but then why still call it the K-5 as a 24mp sensor would be a major change. Especially as K-3 would fit well with the naming of the K-30.
Beacuse maybe K3 is reserved for the next model... FF or not... maybe the K1 is the FF ... who knows, we dont even know anything about K5II, yet...
09-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #366
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
-3EV camera plus that 560mm... Sign me up...
09-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #367
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Or perhaps Prime M is limited to 12 bits RAW.
Perhaps, good thinking. The 14bit depth makes a massive difference for shadow DR. Hopefully this is wrong info - the K5II would be much more appealing with at least K30 level video support.

09-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #368
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll wait for the full specs to be sure., but from what I see right now, this is a minor upgrade and I'll wait for a future release.
09-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #369
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I'll wait for the full specs to be sure., but from what I see right now, this is a minor upgrade and I'll wait for a future release.
new AF is a huge leap. K-5's AF is not the best.
09-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #370
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
Allison, have you actually seen the changes in action? How can you be disappointed by something that is only a rumour at this stage and compare it to something that's already materialised?
Well, it materialized now and I am disappointed. The only improvement is the AF system, which while it does need improving it is not nearly enough. It has the same number of points, so are we really talking about a software upgrade here? Price is going to be a huge factor. Will I pay as much as the K-5 at launch? Probably not now...not with higher mp/new technology crop sensors available. IMHO, this is just not an upgrade enough for ALL of us current K-5 users to scurry to buy so we can replace our K-5s. I want something better....still hoping for a K3.

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
But what kind of FF do you get for that price? It will be FF entry level. I don't think those are as capable as the FF's we are all talking about.
Entry level, sure, but don't forget that Nikon discontinued the D700...so there is room in their lineup for a more basic FF than the D800. the D600 will be for the advanced amateur/student/new professional crowd...and for those looking to make the FF leap without breaking the bank. I can justify spending $2000 on a camera...I am struggling to justify $3000. Maybe it is just me, but I don't think I am alone.

Really, part of my desires come down to me wanting Pentax to stay competitive and I am not sure how much longer they can do that without either a ff or an aps-c that tops all the other brands' aps-c cameras. Do I expect them to be ready by photokina? no. but I do think they can could have a leak of what is to come and that would make a lot of people settle down.
09-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #371
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
It has the same number of points, so are we really talking about a software upgrade here?
I don't remember seeing such info anywhere; can you post a link?
By the way, even the SAFOX IXi+ has different hardware (optics).
09-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #372
Pentaxian

It seems like from so many other threads that people want full frame camera to replace their K5 and yet when Pentax is rumoured to be replacing the K5 with an upgraded version not a replacement model the complaints are that it is not enough of an upgrade. If you are planning on going full frame are you going to be buying a replacement for your K5 that is not FF? And if not, perhaps Pentax is marketing the K5II to new users, those who bought the lower models or have yet to upgrade their K10D/20D etc. Less resources are needed to upgrade an existing model than to product a new product and therefore their finite resources may be employed on other projects such as a FF camera or a higher end cropped sensor one. Try to remember that your desire to upgrade a camera every year or two may not be the biggest market for new camera sales, especially if you are waiting with baited breath for FF.

Allison: in the past people have complained that Pentax does not leak info enough in advance and also that the product is not available immediatley after a leak; in other words the company cannot win

I may be wanting a WR body and my wife may wish to upgrade from her K10D in the next year or so. Our choices are the K30 or the new K5II for now or so it looks. Personally I would perfer those choices than if instead the product was a much more expensive FF camera, as I do not need it nor do I wish to spend my money on more than I need. Perhaps this model is aimed more at me than the person who already owns a K5. But then I do not understand the need to upgrade a camera every second year or sooner. Perhaps I am just a tad slower a learner than the rest but I do not outgrow my camera' s ability that fast. And if it is just to make Pentax stay competetive than it does not matter if the upgrade is enough to upgrade you from the K5 but is it enough for those without a K5 to buy it.
09-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #373
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
It has the same number of points, so are we really talking about a software upgrade here?
If it really is an -3EV f2.8 AF system as rumored, that implies major hardware changes. At least new sensors and possibly new optics as well. Is it worth $500? That depends how important AF in difficult lighting situations is to you.
09-10-2012, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #374
Veteran Member

Lets calm down a bit, this high drama is getting a bit silly, we don't even have complete information for many aspects of the new cameras.

Frankly, i'd much rather have a solid camera in all aspects rather than some of the significant gaffes showing up in some of the other maker.Just one example, the new Fuji AE1 that i had such high hopes for, won't produce RAW files above 6500iso or below 200 iso, just jpeg. Its not at all certain that Adobe will provide demosaicing(sp) support for Fuji RAW in LR or Photoshop for the non-bayer sensor. If you want a perfect camera, forget it, not out there. They all seem to have some drawbacks. And as to costs, the Fuji AE-1 body with an 18-50 lens is $1399. I'd much rather have a 2 year old K5 than suffer with those kinds of limitations.(come to think of it - i do have an 18 month old camera :-))

And what's this complaint about its not enough of an upgrade to buy a K5 II. Hello, the majority of photographers figure a camera should last more than 18 months and don't buy a new camera every year :-)
09-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #375
Veteran Member

Seems official now:

Pentax K-5 II - Digital SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Pentax K-5 IIs - Digital SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Closed Thread