Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #406
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is a bit frustrating with the K-5 II is that it's only a half-upgrade: why not using new features developped for K-01/K-30 like Prime M, better video abilities and focus peaking ? This way it would have been far more appealing to existing K-5 owners.

09-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #407
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The message from the DPR D800E review probably applies to the K-5 IIs:

"So the overall message is that the while D800E can indeed provide higher resolution than the D800 (although with the risk of accompanying false colour), you'll only obtain this across a specific aperture range, and (of course) when using impeccable technique."

- ie there will be a marginal visual difference in most real world cases.

But it may be worth only an extra $100 I guess.
Still cheaper than sending it in to have the AA filter removed. Which someone on DPR was aligning to do recently. - hope he waited
09-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #408
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Email's out from Petnax Australia:
PENTAX - K-5 II
PENTAX - K5 IIs
DA 18-270 and DA 560
New MF lenses

I like the DA 18-270 idea for single lens superzoom seekers... Tamron had a good thing going with their 18-270
And the 560 is coined as an HD lens with weather sealing
09-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #409
Veteran Member

With all these new models coming out from Pentax and others, spare a thought for the poor developers at Adobe, DxO, Corel, Apple, C1 and elsewhere who are going to have to do a huge pile of software updates soon to their RAW convertors.

Cancel all your holidays guys!

09-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #410
Veteran Member

The new 560 tele will retail for 7 grand.. I think I'll pass.

Also It seems like there will be a new series of HD lenses:
"New exterior design signifying HD series
The lens exterior has been painted an elegant white to minimize heat haze generated inside the lens barrel due to long exposure to the sun. Featured in the middle of the lens barrel, a red anodized ring serves as a distinct, radiant symbol of the new HD PENTAX lens series. Strap lugs are made from machined aluminum to enhance its exclusive appearance.
09-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #411
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The new 560 tele will retail for 7 grand.. I think I'll pass.

Also It seems like there will be a new series of HD lenses:
"New exterior design signifying HD series
The lens exterior has been painted an elegant white to minimize heat haze generated inside the lens barrel due to long exposure to the sun. Featured in the middle of the lens barrel, a red anodized ring serves as a distinct, radiant symbol of the new HD PENTAX lens series. Strap lugs are made from machined aluminum to enhance its exclusive appearance.
I'm happy to see Pentax return to their roots in terms of R&D.

I felt nothing but regret when I looked back at what Pentax used to be in contrast to what they are today. And so the addition of these new lenses is a welcomed change in the right direction imo.

And though the 560mm is far out of my reach, I'm still happy to see it happening. - Go Pentax!
09-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #412

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
The K-01 is the best video camera Pentax has at the moment in my opinion. I use it a lot more for that purpose than the K-5.
But this K-5 II has a low pass filter to stop the moire but with the no upgrade to the video options that looks like a silly pointless idea to me.

09-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #413
Veteran Member

Back in the late 70's and early 80's I used to own:
LX with sports finder and motor drive
MX and winder
17mm Fish-eye
28mm Shift
50mm standard
Vivitar Series I 90-180 flat field zoom
300/4
etc.
I sold them almost 30 years ago and only got back into photography 15 months ago. I can't help but wish I'd waited until now before buying as I'm gonna lose quite a bit when I sell off my stuff again. It will be the last time this time...I do feel an affinity for Pentax but I feel that it is time for me to let go now.

No abuse please as I'm just speaking my mind.
09-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #414

I'm surprised that there is no general gnashing of teeth here that the superzoom was announced with-- ahem-- SDM.
09-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #415
Veteran Member

Up on the US site now
09-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #416
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skoobie Quote
I'm surprised that there is no general gnashing of teeth here that the superzoom was announced with-- ahem-- SDM.
that's an easy one: that's because nobody cares, really, about the superzoom. at least, not in the "hmm, might i buy that?" sense. superzooms on serious cameras are evil and should be banned.
09-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #417
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The comments we made wasn't about whether or not anyone would be surprised either way. They were that Pentax Ricoh isn't bound by a press comment made under Hoya. That is a very simple concept to grasp. However, Pentax did spent time and R&D developing a full frame digital body.
I never made any claim that Pentax under Ricoh ownership was bound by any press comments made by Pentax under Hoya ownership.
09-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #418
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't remember seeing such info anywhere; can you post a link?
By the way, even the SAFOX IXi+ has different hardware (optics).
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
If it really is an -3EV f2.8 AF system as rumored, that implies major hardware changes. At least new sensors and possibly new optics as well. Is it worth $500? That depends how important AF in difficult lighting situations is to you.
I was one of the ones who saw the post on the PF homepage during the afternoon before 6. I just glanced over stuff quickly, but I did see that it had the same number of focus points and seemed to have the same sensor. Low light shooting is very important to me - I shoot weddings. But when I upgrade my cameras, I just want major upgrades! I am just concerned because if the K5 II comes out at $1600 and the D600 does come out with the rumored specs at $2000 - then that is a tough choice. As I stated in my post, I just want to be sure that Pentax is really committed to producing great and forward thinking cameras of a professional level in the future. They don't have to release the K3 or FF right now, just let me know that it is coming.
09-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #419
HSV
Veteran Member

Thanks god that they didn't put the stupid "Mark II" name...that would be too much Canon.

Adding the S at the end of the name is very Nikon, thou.
09-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #420
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Confused. It's been a roller coaster year for Pentax and I'm losing faith. This is a big year for me because I need to upgrade. It just doesn't look like Pentax may be the brand. I hate to say it, but it almost looks like the same announcement for the K-5 from 2 years ago.

They've addressed some of the issues, but ignored others. I know the K-5 was top tier when they orginally released it, and the enhancements are welcomed, but this isn't the year 2010.

How can the K-5 II be the flagship when the K-01 does better video?
I can understand the omission of the articulated screen because that would have required retooling. But where's the focus peaking?
Will the K-5 IIs even have video? How will they handle the morie pattens in video?

I'm still hoping they are holding out on us, but I just don't have the confidence any more.
Closed Thread