Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #421
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just as long they bloody add the vari-angle lcd and not the flip one on the X-5.

09-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #422
Veteran Member

Can someone explain to me how a company can release a $7,000 560mm lens and a $5,000 90mm Macro lens and yet offer almost nothing major in the camera stakes? Am I right in assuming that a $7000 dollar lens is easier (cheaper?) to make than a $1300 camera? I guess that could be the answer but it does seem like there's no excuse for not offering more in the camera area. Using market share as a reason for not doing something is absurd when they are so ready to offer 'so much' for such large sums of money in the lens area. To be honest, I can't imagine this 560mm telephoto selling more than a FF camera.
09-10-2012, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #423
Inactive Account

It's optical

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Ignorant to what goes on with an AA filter on a camera.. why can't it be a software enabled/disabled system like on computer videocard? Is there something inherent to a camera's AA system that it cannot be disabled/enabled on the fly?
The AA filter is a physical layer (or two) of glass on top of the sensor. There's a good explanation with diagrams here:

Nikon D800 Review: Digital Photography Review

That's a review of the Nikon D800E. As you can see from the diagram the AA filter breaks the light rays into two "directions", then they are recombined with a certain amount of blending to eliminate moire effects that occur when pixels of radically different contrast/luminosity appear next to each other in a repeating pattern (like a pinstripe suit on a TV screen). This reduces moire effects but also reduces the sharpness of the image.

Removing the AA filter takes a different manufacturing process - essentially the end product is a different sensor. This difference leads to the slightly increased cost of such sensors.

If you shoot portraits or architecture, or street scenes, then moire effects can be a problem and you will probably want the AA filter. If you shoot wide-angle landscapes then it may be less of a problem and the additional resolution and sharpness will be worth it.

Moire patterns are well-handled by post-production software these days - but really intensely contrasty ones can be stubborn.
09-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #424
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I sure hope there is something bigger that they are working on that they can give some hints about at Photokina. Honestly, they have been working on the K5 sequel for two years and the best they can do is say that they think they have fixed the auto focus system and added a few extra points to improve tracking. Even there, the number of points total significantly lags behind the competition. Even more so, other than a nicer LCD, grip capability and stereo mic, why would you get a K5 II over a K30. You now have the K5 II, K5 IIs, K30 and K01, all with exactly the same sensor, just different body styles (and obviously the IIs without AA filter). I guess I don't get it, but then again, maybe there is nothing to get since I already own a K5 with that same sensor in it?

09-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #425
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
. . . but it does seem like there's no excuse for not offering more in the camera area.
I think there is an excuse, they didn't have time to develop and test a major new camera before Photokina. I wouldn't be too disappointed yet. Hold off for the next round of releases.
09-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #426
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Confused. It's been a roller coaster year for Pentax and I'm losing faith. This is a big year for me because I need to upgrade. It just doesn't look like Pentax may be the brand. I hate to say it, but it almost looks like the same announcement for the K-5 from 2 years ago.

They've addressed some of the issues, but ignored others. I know the K-5 was top tier when they orginally released it, and the enhancements are welcomed, but this isn't the year 2010.

How can the K-5 II be the flagship when the K-01 does better video?
I can understand the omission of the articulated screen because that would have required retooling. But where's the focus peaking?
Will the K-5 IIs even have video? How will they handle the morie pattens in video?

I'm still hoping they are holding out on us, but I just don't have the confidence any more.
Keeping in mind that Pentax is doing a wonderful job at filling-in the mid-range market gap, I'd say there's no harm in recognizing the need for bigger and better either. Which also serves as sign that you are growing as a photographer(see).

That being said, what do you think of the A99?
09-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #427
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I think there is an excuse, they didn't have time to develop and test a major new camera before Photokina. I wouldn't be too disappointed yet. Hold off for the next round of releases.
I see your point but I was really only considering the price points and market share. Many people here have said that Pentax does not have the market share to offer a FF and I was trying to make the point they if they can offer these expensive lenses then they must also be able to do it with a camera. I also agree that a camera is a very complex device that would be more difficult to design and manufacture.

09-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #428
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Back in the late 70's and early 80's I used to own:
LX with sports finder and motor drive
MX and winder
17mm Fish-eye
28mm Shift
50mm standard
Vivitar Series I 90-180 flat field zoom
300/4
etc.
I sold them almost 30 years ago and only got back into photography 15 months ago. I can't help but wish I'd waited until now before buying as I'm gonna lose quite a bit when I sell off my stuff again. It will be the last time this time...I do feel an affinity for Pentax but I feel that it is time for me to let go.
I not only kept all my old stuff from the seventies, I keep adding more old stuff to it. I do have a K5 to round things out though. Personally, while acknowledging the advanced automation of digital, it is the old solid beasts that have my heart. They each have a turn to go out on a date with me.
09-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #429
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paper-wise am not impressed, but still positive. Never had the K-5 but I know it's that good, so while Pentax's re-release of the K-5 is a laughing matter to Canikony, it's still a great camera for me. I guess I'll be buying a K-5 IIs in a few months if the K-3 doesn't show up. (I'll be having really bad problems with architectural and shots of man-made patterns though! But I have the K-x for that anyway lol!)

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
What is a bit frustrating with the K-5 II is that it's only a half-upgrade: why not using new features developped for K-01/K-30 like Prime M, better video abilities and focus peaking ? This way it would have been far more appealing to existing K-5 owners.
This though, is what I cannot accept. The K-30, the LOWER-end camera - has better video, focus peaking, and faster processor - while their flagship only got improved AF. If the AF "improvement" is not that significant compared to the K-5c (K-5 classic) - guess I'll buy the latter and get a DA* instead of K-5 IIs and WR kit.

Last edited by Alizarine; 09-10-2012 at 08:04 PM.
09-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #430

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
With all these new models coming out from Pentax and others, spare a thought for the poor developers at Adobe, DxO, Corel, Apple, C1 and elsewhere who are going to have to do a huge pile of software updates soon to their RAW convertors.

Cancel all your holidays guys!
Pentax should have just done away with .pef altogether and offer .dng only. One less menu choice.
09-10-2012, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #431
Veteran Member

Any chance Pentax still thinks it's April Fool's and this is just a bad prank? How can this be the upgrade?

Why would anyone be ok with Pentax re-releasing 2 year old technology? A lot of people are stating that we shouldn't be complaining because we are getting a K5 with better auto-focus and what else do we want? How about something that's not 2 years old? My understanding was that the Canon Mark II was a pretty good camera but imagine if the III had only provided improved auto-focus. That would have been ridiculous. Why can't we complain about the K5II being a disappointment? We're the ones spending $1000 plus that could go to any company. Pentax has an obligation to its customers (if it wants to stay in business) to keep up with other companies. Brand loyalty is great and everything, but after a while, you're just being a fool. Pentax doesn't pay my bills, I pay theirs (I know it's a minuscule percentage, but it adds up.)

It seems like the K30 is a better camera (It definitely has newer technology) and if it had a stereo input for audio I would get that over the K5II or IIs without a second thought. I really like the K5 and if it weren't two years old, I would jump on it in a second. That's the problem with the specs released for the II and IIs. It seems like the K5 with minor tweaks. As many have mentioned, it's what the K5 should have been... 2 years ago. Today, there should be something better. It doesn't really seem like this is better. 2 years is a long time with technology. The K30 seemed to get a lot of hopes up. The new K5's really found a way to get rid of those hopes.

I'm still hoping Pentax has something up their sleeves at Photokina. This can't be it. I don't have the money to go to Canon or Nikon right now (I have about 3-4 thousand invested in Pentax) but if I did, I'd be gone. Maybe I'm overreacting because I was expecting something great. I definitely wasn't expecting this.

This reminds me of when people were expecting a huge announcement from Pentax only to find that the Kr was going to be released in different colors. All that hype for nothing.
09-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #432
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
why would you get a K5 II over a K30.
Some significant features are missing on the K-30 - like 5-exposure EV bracketing (for doing HDR sets).
09-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #433

perhaps in Photokina Pentax would suddenly say it's Prime M and not Prime II. wishing..
09-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #434
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
The K-30, the LOWER-end camera - has better video, focus peaking, and faster processor
I'm guessing this is just a SNAFU with Pentax 'marketing'.
09-10-2012, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #435
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Semenelin Quote
perhaps in Photokina Pentax would suddenly say it's Prime M and not Prime II. wishing..
Perhaps that is next year and the K5 III

I'm afraid you get 30fps on video though on K5 IV

Next is AF on video and hip new colors on K5 V

The articulating screen that some did/not want might be on the K5 VI

...Eventually there will be a Rocky edition.

Of course you will have to pony up the 1200 dollars for each body.

In all seriousness.. if Pentax wanted to really keep their K5 owners on-board for the meantime, they should implement a Trade Up system where they can 'upgrade' to the K5 mkII for 300-400 USD brand new with a fresh warranty.
Then Pentax can resell the original K5s for 6-700ish as marked refurbs and make a few bucks off of those.

win-win.
Closed Thread