Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #466
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tzeentchiangod Quote
I wonder how long it will take for the lens release buttons to fall off the new K-5s...
No clue but I hope it's longer than the D4's buttons

Last edited by JohnBee; 09-11-2012 at 07:25 AM.
09-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #467
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think Pentax is just behind schedule on development of the K-3 and needed something to show this month. The re-release of the K-5 Silver and the warmed over K-5II all point to Pentax trying to buy time. If the low production numbers are correct then the K-5II/IIs is just a temporary solution.

Notice we are not seeing any real high end glass (the telescope is kind of a joke). I always look at glass to determine what a company is thinking and where they are trying to go. When Pentax starts releasing Fast primes or redesigns its FA Limiteds with new coatings, modern AF and weather sealing you will know Pentax is back.
I hope so. I would really like to see a K3 come out as well as some nice glass -- faster than current crop.
09-11-2012, 07:42 AM - 9 Likes   #468
Pentaxian

Just a note from someone who is primarily a Nikon user...

Before jumping the fence because the grass is greener on the other side, you might want to remember that all manufacturers have issues with line-up and quality.

The top-of-the-heap APS-C for Nikon is still the D300/ D300s - with nothing other than rumors that they will see an upgrade. Some who shoot wildlife and such have been clamoring for an upgrade for a while and it doesn't seem to materialize. Some are not happy with the size or performance of the D7000. Some of them are thinking of jumping the fence.

Nikon still has minimal APS-C prime glass, and none at the wide end (have to use zooms or 3rd party). Pentax has the DA Limiteds if you want decent small and light primes.

D800/ D800E bodies are experiencing focus issues. Not all, but enough that it is a problem for Nikon.

D4 bodies aren't exempt either - there are people getting replacement bodies because their new D4 is not working properly out-of-the-box.

There are Nikon users threatening a jump to Canon.

There are Canon users threatening a jump to Nikon.

There are etc...

Every manufacturer has quality issues.

Every manufacturer has gaps in their line-up that their customer base may not be happy with.

Pros need to do what they need to do for their business.

Amatuers and hobbyists - we need to ask ourselves if the gear is the important thing? Or is it the joy of photography?

For me, it's the enjoyment of getting out and taking photos. I'm not that great at it (and am trying to improve), but it is an enjoyable activity for me. I'm not a fanboy, so I tend to use what I like and not be tied to any one brand. I currently have Canon for 135, Pentax for 645, and Nikon and Olympus for digital.

I had a K-5 and DA Limiteds, and got rid of them in a moment of pure fiscal thinking (not wanting to support two digital camera systems). The right choice from a money stand-point, but at the cost of some of my enjoyment of photography. I have yet to find a digital solution in a crop format that fits my hand and has the quality of the K-5 and DA Limiteds. Now with Pentax's roller-coaster of pricing on it's lenses, it will cost me more that I may be willing to pay to get back to what made me happy.

So please, do a little evaluation of what makes you happy/ what you actually need before switching systems. It can be costly, and even moreso if you decide to come back.

Just the opinion of a hobbyist who jumped ship and wished he hadn't. YMMV.
09-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #469
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
When Pentax starts releasing Fast primes or redesigns its FA Limiteds with new coatings, modern AF and weather sealing you will know Pentax is back.
HD DFA 31,43,77? hmm.....

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
Every manufacturer has gaps in their line-up that their customer base may not be happy with.
Whoa. I thought Nikon had the most expansive lineup of all...

09-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #470
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
<snip>

Whoa. I thought Nikon had the most expansive lineup of all...
Nikon has a very large assortment of lenses. Especially when considering legacy glass. But there are gaps. Lack of APS-C primes, especially on the wide end. An 80-400 that has been rumored to be updated for years, but never materializes. No 70-200/4 equivalent to Canon's - want a 70-200? Gotta buy the expensive 70-200/2.8 - nice glass but pricey. New modern fast primes for FF, but they are expensive. Looks like they are now working some less-fast glass at lower price points, but still a gap for wide prime users on APS-C.

Expansive, but still has some gaps.
09-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #471
Veteran Member

Before jumping the fence because the grass is greener on the other side, you might want to remember that all manufacturers have issues with line-up and quality.

The top-of-the-heap APS-C for Nikon is still the D300/ D300s - with nothing other than rumors that they will see an upgrade. Some who shoot wildlife and such have been clamoring for an upgrade for a while and it doesn't seem to materialize. Some are not happy with the size or performance of the D7000. Some of them are thinking of jumping the fence.

Nikon still has minimal APS-C prime glass, and none at the wide end (have to use zooms or 3rd party). Pentax has the DA Limiteds if you want decent small and light primes.

D800/ D800E bodies are experiencing focus issues. Not all, but enough that it is a problem for Nikon.

D4 bodies aren't exempt either - there are people getting replacement bodies because their new D4 is not working properly out-of-the-box.

There are etc...

Amatuers and hobbyists - we need to ask ourselves if the gear is the important thing? Or is it the joy of photography?

For me, it's the enjoyment of getting out and taking photos. I'm not that great at it (and am trying to improve), but it is an enjoyable activity for me. I'm not a fanboy, so I tend to use what I like and not be tied to any one brand. I currently have Canon for 135, Pentax for 645, and Nikon and Olympus for digital.

I had a K-5 and DA Limiteds, and got rid of them in a moment of pure fiscal thinking (not wanting to support two digital camera systems). The right choice from a money stand-point, but at the cost of some of my enjoyment of photography. I have yet to find a digital solution in a crop format that fits my hand and has the quality of the K-5 and DA Limiteds. Now with Pentax's roller-coaster of pricing on it's lenses, it will cost me more that I may be willing to pay to get back to what made me happy.

So please, do a little evaluation of what makes you happy/ what you actually need before switching systems. It can be costly, and even moreso if you decide to come back.

Wise words.
09-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #472
Veteran Member

I agree with what Pentakonian says, especially about getting out and enjoying shooting! I've recently been shooting with my old K-5 on my vacation along with my D800.. having a different glass set for it (as I'm new to Nikon) I've been more than happy with the compactness of the K-5 and I know its IQ will deliver. I'm still happy to have my D800 and for what I'm gearing towards it's the right camera for me.. BUT, I would LOVE to have backup camera body which is APS-C.. I just wish that the D7000 was on par with the K-5, not the case! I would absolutely love a K-5 IIs with something like a HD DA15 LTD.

As far as line ups from manufacturers go, I would still rather deal with lack of Nikon's APS-C Primes.. I guess they figure APS-C shooters generally prefer zooms, and those who want the Prime IQ also have a FF solution to fully utilize the prime glass they have.. (Nikon's 14 f2.8 would be pretty huge on a D7000). I would rather have to look for another companies (Sigma/Samyang) for Prime Lenses than have to look for another company for a FF body! I would have loved to go Pentax FF + K5 (K5 IIs) as a solution.. but that's not available...

09-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #473
Veteran Member

So, which expo are we waiting for now? :P
09-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #474
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I'd guess the whole thing will become clearer after Photokina. At the moment everyone's view of the future is clouded by the questions of whether FF will replace high-end APS-C across the industry. .
It has no basis in reality; just some people who think their personal preferences must reflect on the whole industry.
Canon massive success of the 7D and the entry level DSLR's (also suggested years ago as canditates for imminent demise; equally nonsensical) proves otherwise...
09-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #475
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by giklab Quote
so, which expo are we waiting for now?

cp.
09-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #476
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skoobie Quote
I'm surprised that there is no general gnashing of teeth here that the superzoom was announced with-- ahem-- SDM.
And a $900 price tag. The Tamron lens has their own, very well thought of, silent motor technology the PZD Piezo Drive Ultrasonic Motor in it and its a good bit less expensive at $549.

So, descent superzoom with nice ratings that already had a reliable and well thought of silent motor system is licensed by Pentax and they put their unreliable and poorly regarded silent motor (and they do have a reliable one in their DC system) into it, plus they charge $351 more for it. Pentax at its most impaired IMHO.
09-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #477
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
And a $900 price tag. The Tamron lens has their own, very well thought of, silent motor technology the PZD Piezo Drive Ultrasonic Motor in it and its a good bit less expensive at $549.

So, descent superzoom with nice ratings that already had a reliable and well thought of silent motor system is licensed by Pentax and they put their unreliable and poorly regarded silent motor (and they do have a reliable one in their DC system) into it, plus they charge $351 more for it. Pentax at its most impaired IMHO.
Given that they've re-badged the lens, could they not have re-badged Tamron's motor?
09-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #478

all in all the idea of a K-5 refinement is interesting ... sure, K-5 IIs isn't for everyone, a courageous choice ... time will tell if pentax made the right decision!
09-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #479
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote

... "most impaired" is an understatement ...
09-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #480
Veteran Member

There are etc...

This is one of the sensible posts in this thread. For those of you running around in your Chicken Little outfits crying the sky is falling, I suggest you re-read this post (or better yet, have someone read it to you) before you go out a slit your wrists because you think Pentax has failed you.
Closed Thread