Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #76
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Talisker Quote
Pity it's not really wide enough for APC-S though.
Probably not for architectural purposes, but i think it would be great for landscapers.

07-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Talisker Quote
Well, the Samyang UK distributors page shows it being available and it can be ordered from WEX and Park Cameras among others.
Actually it can be pre-ordered. It's not available yet in Pentax mount. The feedback I get is that is *will* become available though.

Wim
07-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good review (in the sense of being pretty thorough) here:

Review: Rokinon Tilt-Shift 24mm f3.5 ED AS UMC
07-25-2013, 04:41 AM   #79
Veteran Member

07-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Samyang definitely makes beautiful promotional videos
08-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Just saw them post this on the Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.548925378500009.1073741839.102447209814497&type=1

QuoteQuote:
Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC with a mount for Pentax will be released in mid-August. Pentax cameras users will be finally able to use lens with such advanced parameters.
08-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #82
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douge Quote
Tx for the heads up!! I don't have access to Facebook from where I am right now, so I didn't see that. I'll be mailing them to ensure that my pre-order get filled in with a copy from the first batch. Already looking forward to it...

Wim
09-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #83
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Shipped

The Samyang 24mm T/S is finally there for Pentax!!

I just had word that the lens has been shipped to me. Hope to receive it in a few days...

I hope the weather won't turn completely sour by the time I receive it, so I can have a first look and post some feedback here. Major testing should be for Sunday 29th, when I have a photography date with some friends...

Wim

09-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #84
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
The Samyang 24mm T/S is finally there for Pentax!!

I just had word that the lens has been shipped to me. Hope to receive it in a few days...

I hope the weather won't turn completely sour by the time I receive it, so I can have a first look and post some feedback here. Major testing should be for Sunday 29th, when I have a photography date with some friends...

Wim
Congrats! Looking forward to your thoughts on it!
09-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I received the lens yesterday. Didn't have time to try it out on-camera, but I did unbox it (no pictures of that sorry) and turned/pushed all the rings and nobs to get an idea of its build quality.

It feels excellent and handling is indeed very smooth. Both focus and aperture ring are perfectly dampened for manual use.

The tilting and shifting mechanism is implemented in a way that's not as use friendly as on my Pentax 28mm Shift (no tilt of course on this one) or Hartblei 65mm Super Rotator (tilt and shift). The tilt/shift rings on those lenses operate far easier than the tilt/shift nobs on the Samyang, which unfortunately copies its implementation from similar Canon and Nikon offerings. Guess that will take some getting used to.

Both tilt and shift have locking nobs, which is needed because without these any tilt or shift up just slides down again because of the pull of gravity. Clearly a lens for tripod use, because you need two hands to control the tilt/shift nob and corresponding lock simultaneously.

The two rotation tabs (push to rotate tilt and/or shift axis up to 90 degrees) are relatively hard to reach, but I reserve judgement till I tried it on-camera. Both tabs are metal though, so the early reviews mentioning easy to bend plastic for these seem to have been picked up by Samyang, and the flaw corrected by using metal instead of plastic. Nice.

Anyway, it's gone beyond rumours or news now. The lens is available and in my hands. My first impression is excellent. If I find the time I'll post my further findings in a separate thread in the appropriate subforum.

Wim
09-20-2013, 01:07 AM   #86
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Now why would Samyang make a K mount version of a full-frame lens?
Obvious, because they don't want to make two types when the FF will also work with APS-Cs. It is just the mount that is different.

Greetings
09-21-2013, 02:49 AM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter

Wim, thanks for the preview. Good to hear about the build quality, but too bad about the ergonomics. Another review I had read made the same point -- the knobs more difficult to use than on the Canon T/S lenses. At any rate, this remains high on my list and I hope to try it out both on APS-C and on film.
09-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #88
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I received the lens yesterday. Didn't have time to try it out on-camera, but I did unbox it (no pictures of that sorry) and turned/pushed all the rings and nobs to get an idea of its build quality.

It feels excellent and handling is indeed very smooth. Both focus and aperture ring are perfectly dampened for manual use.

The tilting and shifting mechanism is implemented in a way that's not as use friendly as on my Pentax 28mm Shift (no tilt of course on this one) or Hartblei 65mm Super Rotator (tilt and shift). The tilt/shift rings on those lenses operate far easier than the tilt/shift nobs on the Samyang, which unfortunately copies its implementation from similar Canon and Nikon offerings. Guess that will take some getting used to.

Both tilt and shift have locking nobs, which is needed because without these any tilt or shift up just slides down again because of the pull of gravity. Clearly a lens for tripod use, because you need two hands to control the tilt/shift nob and corresponding lock simultaneously.

The two rotation tabs (push to rotate tilt and/or shift axis up to 90 degrees) are relatively hard to reach, but I reserve judgement till I tried it on-camera. Both tabs are metal though, so the early reviews mentioning easy to bend plastic for these seem to have been picked up by Samyang, and the flaw corrected by using metal instead of plastic. Nice.

Anyway, it's gone beyond rumours or news now. The lens is available and in my hands. My first impression is excellent. If I find the time I'll post my further findings in a separate thread in the appropriate subforum.

Wim
thanks Wim, looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it.
09-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
thanks Wim, looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it.
+1. Eagerly looking forward to hearing about your experience with this lens.
09-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #90
Site Supporter

Does anyone know if this lens is available in North America yet? B&H don't have it listed for Pentax.

Dale