Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
A bit late, but here's a little info I got on this lens at Photokina.

I visited the Samyang stand on Sunday, and was helped by two (Polish?) representatives. They had all of their lenses for K-mount with them, so I tried a few. I was overall impressed with both image and build quality, but that shouldn't be a surprise to most here as this corresponds with the reputation they have on the forum. The 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 were shown cut in half.

The 24/3.5 T/S was shown under glass. It looked quite large, as can be expected from the images we were shown already. I took a few images, but they don't add anything to the images in the press release, so I'm not including them here. I only hope it won't be too top heavy in order not to destabilize a tripod too much.

I also asked the reps about the 24/3.5 T/S. Unfortunately they could not inform me about the price that will be asked for this, they couldn't even give me a wide bracket within which the lens's price might be expected to fall. What they did tell me was that it would be available in January.

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 09-26-2012 at 08:51 AM.
09-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thank toi Wim, much appreciated.
09-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Dude!
"New Samyang T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC is a wide-angle, full-frame lens"

Now why would Samyang make a K mount version of a full-frame lens?
Their 85mm, their 24mm, their 14mm, their 35mm are all full frame lenses, and they're all for Pentax, as well as other brands.

It's pretty obvious why.
09-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Sure, they are made for Nikon and Canon, and then they swap the mount with a K one to sell some more.

09-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Sure, they are made for Nikon and Canon, and then they swap the mount with a K one to sell some more.
Pentax also gets automatic aperture on Samyang, from the beginning AFAIK, so I believe it's not just a mount swap.

Last edited by netrex; 09-27-2012 at 05:10 AM.
09-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I also asked the reps about the 24/3.5 T/S. Unfortunately they could not inform me about the price that will be asked for this, they couldn't even give me a wide bracket within which the lens's price might be expected to fall. What they did tell me was that it would be available in January.

Wim
I posted this a few days ago on another thread in the forums:

An online retailer in the UK is taking pre-orders for the Samyang for £999
http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/samyang-t...ns-pentax.html

Details about the lens can be found in the Samyang site in UK also.
http://www.samyang.co.uk/samyang-t-s...-umc-lens.html
09-27-2012, 02:45 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Abit much for myself, I don't think I'll use it enough for that price- oh well hopefully the 2nd hand versions such as the Pentax 28mm drop in price.

09-27-2012, 03:08 AM   #38

Comes with a three year warranty in the UK! I wish Pentax could match that...
09-27-2012, 04:07 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Sure. What I was implying is that they create their lenses for the Nikon and canon systems, which, while made mostly by users of APS-C cameras, have a fairly big component of full frame users, and then to the same lenses they apply a Pentax mount for us. But the fact that the 35, the 24 and the 85mm are full frame and available for Pentax, can't be passed as a hidden clue that a fullframe is coming.
09-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #40

Sure. What I was implying is that they create their lenses for the Nikon and canon systems, which, while made mostly by users of APS-C cameras, have a fairly big component of full frame users, and then to the same lenses they apply a Pentax mount for us. But the fact that the 35, the 24 and the 85mm are full frame and available for Pentax, can't be passed as a hidden clue that a fullframe is coming.
It's not a clue at all. Should they not sell to Pentax just cause full frame isn't coming (I'm not saying it's not coming), when the lenses are highly desirable regardless of sensor size? What you are saying makes no sense at all to me. It's like me saying "Pentax made 135 film cameras before, and the lenses for that fit full frame digital now, that's a clue that full frame is coming".

Those lenses are also made to fit 4/3, does that mean that Olympus and/or Panasonic have full frame cameras in the making? :O No, they just make them with the available mounts to make more money, regardless of what is to come from any of the manufactures.
09-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Wow, that sounds too pricey for me. Was really hoping for a budget tilt/shift lens.
09-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Wow, that sounds too pricey for me. Was really hoping for a budget tilt/shift lens.
There are options: Arax

I have the 35mm, and I'll be getting the 85mm later on.
09-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
There are options: Arax

I have the 35mm, and I'll be getting the 85mm later on.
Thanks. I was hoping for something wider than 35, but it's certainly something to look into. I will check it out!
09-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Thanks. I was hoping for something wider than 35, but it's certainly something to look into. I will check it out!
Yes, me too, that's the one reason I would go for a full frame, to get a wider angle from my 35mm. Also why I would want the 24mm from Samyang.
09-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
It's not a clue at all. .
That's what I was thrying to say.