Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2013, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Don't be:

"Available mounts Canon, Nikon, KM/Sony, Pentax"

Samyang T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC

If someone is abandoning Pentax, it's not Samyang.

02-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
That would be a shame. I was looking forward to this lens. On the other hand, it's still listed as a possible mount on the Samyang site as Mistral75 correctly states. It's not March yet...

Wim
02-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
Not a good sign. I will be rather sad if samyang abandons us.
Samyang isn't abandoning Pentax. There's no full-frame Pentax DSLR (even announced or previewed), so really, there's little market (or reason) for this specialized Samyang in K-mount at this time. They might even be making in K-mount for all we really know. [Edit: see link above]

So why not tilt-shift for APS-C? Well, the main uses for a T-S lens are professional landscape, product and architectural photography, and we have to admit that precious few pros in those areas have Pentax APS-C bodies (maybe 645D). Next, for the lens to work on full-frame sensors, it would have to be designed with a larger-than-normal, but sharp to the edges, image circle to allow for the movements. That verges on overkill for APS-C (I can tilt or shift a gorgeous Takumar on an NEX for much less). I'm sure Samyang will eventually release it in K-mount like their other full-frame lenses, but given the MSRP and cost to manufacture this special lens, why bother right now?

Really, if any lens maker is (slowly) abandoning Pentax, it's Sigma. Where's the long-delayed 120-300/2.8 K-mount? When will the new and lustworthy 35/1.4 be available in K-mount?

Last edited by panoguy; 02-19-2013 at 08:36 AM.
02-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #64
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Really, if any lens maker is (slowly) abandoning Pentax, it's Sigma. Where's the long-delayed 120-300/2.8 K-mount? When will the new and lustworthy 35/1.4 be available in K-mount?
Being a pro sports lens, I'm not surprised that Sigma isn't going to offer the 120-300mm for Pentax. At CP+ they said that the 35mm F1.4 would eventually be released, but being a full-frame lens, it obviously won't be enjoyed as much on a Pentax as it can on canon/nikon/sony FF's. Maybe Sigma is going to hold off until Pentax does release their full frame?

Also, regarding the tilt-shift lens, it was just listed at B&H for everyone except for Pentax

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Being a pro sports lens, I'm not surprised that Sigma isn't going to offer the 120-300mm for Pentax. At CP+ they said that the 35mm F1.4 would eventually be released, but being a full-frame lens, it obviously won't be enjoyed as much on a Pentax as it can on canon/nikon/sony FF's. Maybe Sigma is going to hold off until Pentax does release their full frame?

Also, regarding the tilt-shift lens, it was just listed at B&H for everyone except for Pentax
The handwriting is on the wall....Pentax needs to make a splash soon or their 3rd party support is going to shrivel up and die.
02-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #66
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The handwriting is on the wall....Pentax needs to make a splash soon or their 3rd party support is going to shrivel up and die.

I wouldn't mind somehow seeing the sales numbers of lens' between Pentax and Sigma - both for PK only. Something already "tells me" that Sigma is already outselling Pentax for PK.

Sigma isn't going to abandon PK anytime soon; although there is a rather limited supply of PK lens versus what they have for other camera mounts. Making ones voice (and word) be heard really adds up. Simply drop Sigma a tactful note on items such as Facebook, email, and even snail mail.

Chances are, that if Sigma gets a good portion of genuine letters from PK'ers about wanting a particular lens' then it just might motivate them to release it.
02-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Sigma isn't going to abandon PK anytime soon; although there is a rather limited supply of PK lens versus what they have for other camera mounts.
I don't think Sony's getting more love from Sigma either..

02-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Except for cheap E mount wide angle primes that are rather damn good.

Sigma have done good things in that space.
03-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #69
Veteran Member

I emailed Samyang in the UK and they neither confirmed or denied that it would or wouldn't be released in Pentax mount at some stage, but he or she just said that they suspected Canon and Nikon in the first instance (no mention of Sony in the email). I am dying for a tilt shift lens (for more experimental purposes than anything). I seem a few people post about the Arax 35mm tilt shift or MC Arsat but I can't find a lot of info on them. Could anyone advise if they are any way good?
03-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by captainbert Quote
I emailed Samyang in the UK and they neither confirmed or denied that it would or wouldn't be released in Pentax mount at some stage, but he or she just said that they suspected Canon and Nikon in the first instance (no mention of Sony in the email). I am dying for a tilt shift lens (for more experimental purposes than anything). I seem a few people post about the Arax 35mm tilt shift or MC Arsat but I can't find a lot of info on them. Could anyone advise if they are any way good?
I had the Hartblei 120/2,8 T&S Superrotator, that I used for macro with diopters, and was exceptionally good. Sadly I sold it in when I was in a Pentax-purist phase.
07-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It took some time for me to decide, but I just preordered the Samyang 24 T/S (from the UK). It's not available yet, closest estimate being 3 to 6 weeks, but that's just a guess.

I'll report back here once I know more...

Wim
07-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #72

Did I miss something? I thought that Samyang decided to not release this lens for K mount??
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/223015-new-sam...le-pentax.html
07-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noVICE Quote
I thought that Samyang decided to not release this lens for K mount?
The jury still seems out on that point.
Ultimately, when it is in Adorama or BandH, or on eBay, that will determine the question.
07-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Both the two leading suppliers of camera gear in Norway list the Sigma 35/1.4 in Pentax mount. None of them have it available yet, but one of them suggests that they should get it in about a week's time. Furthermore, the 18-35 is supposed to be available in October. I suppose this is based on information from Sigma.
But of course, it certainly is frustrating when the lens you want can only be mounted on a camera you have no intention of buying.
07-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #75

Well, the Samyang UK distributors page shows it being available and it can be ordered from WEX and Park Cameras among others. Ultimately, Adorama and B&H don't determine what is available in the UK.

Pity it's not really wide enough for APC-S though.