Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 05:32 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great coverage of the show and thanks for sharing with us. Nice to see the mythical 60-250. I wonder if it's like the Loch Ness monster though? It's been TBA for a long time.

I wonder if Samsung would tell you if their grip will work with full function on a K20D? It would be nice to find out.

02-01-2008, 05:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
It appears to be roughly the same size as the Sigma, but SDM makes it a little fatter :]
Oops You are right. I was being spoilt to think this zoom being tiny pancake zoom!

Well, this is on my must have list
02-01-2008, 06:16 AM   #18
Not Registered

1st thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I am glad to listen that the AF speed has been improved but please, tell me that the shoot with the DA*200 was made at 1/8s . Seriously, could you observe the same speed with the other non-SDM lenses or the "old" SDM lenses to see if the difference could be on the motor of the lens?. Another thing that strikes me is the white balance. Where the lights orange, or the white balance was highly far from reality? If I were you I would focus on the GX20
02-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #19

Wow thanks I was just about to go to bed.

02-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jscoby05 Quote
Well I got to Las Vegas this afternoon. I went over to my hotel, dropped off my stuff, and went over to the convention center to catch the last hour and a half of today. When I got there, I went straight for the Pentax booth. Julie Quarry was giving a presentation. I went straight for the K20D and K200D which were on monopods that were strapped down. I threw my extra SD card into the K20D with the DA* 200mm attached. When I pressed down on the shutter....wait for it.... the AF was fast, way faster than the K10D. When they said they tweaked the AF they weren't kidding. And there was not double check. It was almost instantaneous lock. To give you an idea of how fast the AF was, I have played around with the E3 and the A700. This was faster than the A700 and almost as fast as the E3. I was, to be completely honest, dumbfounded. I only took a couple of shots with the K20D one with the K200D. Tomorrow, I am going to take lots of pictures. I also went over to the Samsung booth. They were being quite risqué. They had some, what appeared to be Las Vegas show girls. So of course I shot a few pics of them. Then I tried out the GX20. The guy at the booth showed me the live view. I have to admit, I wasn't really impressed, but to each their own. It works well, I just like the brightness of the Pentax Pentaprism viewfinder. Anyways, Samsung will be releasing a new accessory that might take Pentax users away. The new GX20 grip is WiFi enabled. One of the other Samsung guys was walking around taking pics and when he shot them, they popped up on a Samsung LCD in the booth. I am really impressed with this feature. I will upload my pictures. If you have any questions for me to ask the Pentax reps, let me know. Aren't you jealous that I am at PMA and you're not, lol.
First let me say that it's very naughty of you to make fun of us like that!

Then I must also thank you for the report and I am relieved that you found the AF on the 200 to be fast but I have to ask a question: did you feel the same when using a zoom (it doesn't appear you tried one already, maybe tomorrow?)?

My FA 135 is fast as hell on my K10, faster than my 50-135 for example.

WiFi grip is neat...

Oh! And one more question, I remember Ben saying that the K20D had a nicely damped mirror, what's your feeling about that?

Oh! And before I forget, what about the screen resolution?

OK, that's it for now... have fun you lucky bast@rd!

Last edited by lol101; 02-01-2008 at 09:21 AM.
02-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by freeload Quote
You can also use the EyeFi wireless enabled SD card to upload your pictures to your chosen service (or your pc)
But EyeFi only works on JPEG and it is SLOW. I can't imagine how long it would take to download a 10MB 4 star JPEG file.
02-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Wifi...

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
First let me say that it's very naughty of you to make fun of us like that!

Then I must also thank you for the report and I am relieved that you found the AF on the 200 to be fast but I have to ask a question: did you feel the same when using a zoom (it doesn't appear you tried one already, maybe tomorrow?)?

My FA 135 is fast as hell on my K10, faster than my 50-135 for example.

WiFi grip is neat...

Oh! And one more question, I remember Ben saying that the K20D had a nicely damped mirror, what's your feeling about that?

Oh! And before I forget, what about the screen resolution?

OK, that's it for now... have fun you lucky bast@rd!

I don't see the need for wifi, its not going to help me at a gig or in the middle of no where doign landscapes or at a busy fashion show, i mean it could be of use but then i'd have to have someone else on the laptop editing them and i prefer to do it myself and it'd cost too much to have someone else do it! or even if you didnt have someone else I'dhave to leave my £1700 macbook pro lying around on its own... see my though trail?
02-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jscoby05 Quote
By the looks of it, the DA*55/1.4 is truly the successor to the FA*85/1.4. The hood may not be silver, but it looks like a black version of the FA*85/1.4's hood... slightly smaller than the 85mm probably, but not much probably. Big difference with the FA50/1.4... Perhaps the sealing and SDM? Never though that could make such a difference.

Wim

02-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Af double check and mirror slap/shutter noise

Hi, thanks for the reportage!

I'm assuming that the AF double check was already turned off when you tried the camera?

Could you please try the k20d next time with and without AF double check in order to better gauge on its AF speed? (I'm unable to check exif on this computer) does double check on or off show up on the exif?

Re the level of the mirror slap and shutter noise, the only way to tell would be to have a k10d next to the k20d and listen with your ear up close in order to compare. Those big show floors tend to be pretty noisy. I imagine it might be difficult in those conditions.

Thanks!

jscoby05 wrote: "I threw my extra SD card into the K20D with the DA* 200mm attached. When I pressed down on the shutter....wait for it.... the AF was fast, way faster than the K10D. When they said they tweaked the AF they weren't kidding. And there was not double check. It was almost instantaneous lock."
02-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Great to have a report from there, thanks for taking the time. Sounds good with the responsiveness of the K20.
02-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #26
Inactive Account

That 55m f/1.4 looks like an amazing lens and i'm very excited. I didn't get a Pentax camera until June, but i think i may hold off on getting the 50mm f/1.4 . Does anyone know what the price point of this lens is?Or the release?
02-02-2008, 07:23 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
First, thanks for these photos!

That Da* 55 has a huge lens hood!! The Da 17-70 f4 is rather large and bulky!

Da* 200 is also tried out there. I am so excited to see these new lenses to be available soon. Exciting!
German K10D brochure states that the SDM lenses would be sealed to match the K10D (so now also K200D and K20). Any confirmation on the 17-70 to be sealed???

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax K10D brochure:
Die neuen Ultraschallobjektive sind – passend zur K10D – komplett
feuchtigkeits- und staubgeschützt.