Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I presume it does. Living open the possibility for some future 24x36 lenses (telephoto lenses, in particular) to have shake reduction as well.

Have you guys also seen the HD in the name "HD Pentax-D FA645 Macro 90mm f/2.8 ED AW SR"?

Could this point out a new generation of 645 lenses designed for highly pixelized 645 sensors?

Could this mean that the 645D II or 645Dn or whatever its name is would have more than the rumoured 50 Mpixels, knowing that some Teledyne Dalsa 645 sensors have as much as 80 Mpixels?
I read on the Dutch Pentaxian forum that HD could mean "Hypersonic Drive". A new type of ring motor (Pentax has patents in this regard) could be used in that lens...

09-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

So if the Q lens is 15-45 then what exactly is the "black dot" setting beyond 15 that the zoom ring is set to? Certainly doesn't seem to be on the current 02 zoom lens.

The focus ring on the 18-270 is very incongruous with the design of the 18-135 and the 50-200 WR which this is clearly based off of. Instead the focus ring texture looks like exactly like Tamron's focus rings. Why on earth would Pentax do that? They certainly didn't do that with the original 18-250 (a Tamron rebadge) which used a standard DA lens focus ring. Also, lens information printed on an oversized green ring at the front? No other Pentax lens does that. Certainly not the 18-135 or 50-200 WR, the only other lenses that have a green ring at the front (rather than at the back as on all other DA lenses).

Call me a skeptic, but I view these with great suspicion, especially since this is the same source as the likely confirmed fake "K-5 II" pictures. Hopefully the truth will be revealed early next week.

Last edited by Cannikin; 09-07-2012 at 11:59 AM.
09-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm, why are you all so happy about Pentax teaming up with Tamron again? Wasn't that a bad thing for Pentaxians, since you couldn't get Tamron stuff for K-mount, you could only get rebranded (and much more expensive) Pentax variants?
09-07-2012, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hm, why are you all so happy about Pentax teaming up with Tamron again? Wasn't that a bad thing for Pentaxians, since you couldn't get Tamron stuff for K-mount, you could only get rebranded (and much more expensive) Pentax variants?
You must be thinking of Tokina, which carried equivalents to (at least) the 16-50 and 50-135, possibly also the 12-24, for other mounts, but the Pentax version was only sold as a Pentax.

When the Tamron 18-250 was around, you get get that lens as either the Tamron-branded version or as the Pentax DA 18-250.

09-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are interested in the relative sizes of the Q zooms:

I took the leaked image of the 06 and an image of the 02 standard zoom
and sized them so that the mount was an identical width and this is what
I got for relative sizes:

Looking at the lettering on the lens, the new telephoto zoom may be a bit larger than shown, but not by a whole lot.

I'm guessing the dot is some sort of "close-up" or macro at the wide end.
09-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
So if the Q lens is 15-45 then what exactly is the "black dot" setting beyond 15 that the zoom ring is set to? Certainly doesn't seem to be on the current 02 zoom lens.

The focus ring on the 18-270 is very incongruous with the design of the 18-135 and the 50-200 WR which this is clearly based off of. Instead the focus ring texture looks like exactly like Tamron's focus rings. Why on earth would Pentax do that? .....

Cost. Retooling is expensive and if it is merely cosmetic the question become one of cost-benefit. I hope that the lens is WR as it does look to be in the style of the 18-135.
09-07-2012, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Because Tamron stopped releasing new lenses in K mount under their own name. That meant that there was one less source in the future for new K mount lenses. If that has been changed then that is more important for the future of the K mount, IMHO, than nearly anything else that can come out of Photokina.

It also means that Pentax has additional sources for lenses for us. Given the constant complaints around here about how Pentax's lens lineup is weak, how can this be seen as a bad thing?

09-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Because Tamron stopped releasing new lenses in K mount under their own name. That meant that there was one less source in the future for new K mount lenses. If that has been changed then that is more important for the future of the K mount, IMHO, than nearly anything else that can come out of Photokina.

It also means that Pentax has additional sources for lenses for us. Given the constant complaints around here about how Pentax's lens lineup is weak, how can this be seen as a bad thing?
There is a huge long history of co branded super zooms with tamron (many of which were pretty crappy I owned both the tamron and Pentax badged 28-200 back in the 90's mediocre lenses but convenient enough that when the Pentax got damaged in a drop i went and grabbed a tamron to replace it.

The most significant thing is if they are re-branding the tamron it will likely mean a return to suport for the mount by Tamron. there's a few lenses they make now it would be nice to see

the price is silly though (although the japan price is always higher so maybe it's less - and if it is WR it would be a tempting travel lens.)
09-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
There is a huge long history of co branded super zooms with tamron (many of which were pretty crappy I owned both the tamron and Pentax badged 28-200 back in the 90's mediocre lenses but convenient enough that when the Pentax got damaged in a drop i went and grabbed a tamron to replace it.

The most significant thing is if they are re-branding the tamron it will likely mean a return to suport for the mount by Tamron. there's a few lenses they make now it would be nice to see

the price is silly though (although the japan price is always higher so maybe it's less - and if it is WR it would be a tempting travel lens.)
I agree on every point. The price will come down, once Maximum Assured Pricing is ignored again. My other point though is, I think, really important too. This means more superzooms to be able to make Pentax cameras more sellable with the casual photographer. It should really help, in conjunction with the K-300 and K-30, to bring fresh blood to the Pentax brand.
09-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
HD? Maybe Pentax has a 4K camera up its sleeve. I seem to remember a Japanese Pentax guy talking about 4k cameras a while back.
I think the 4K meant FF sales projections .....

Moving on ..... 4K is strictly a video concept, right? Or did I miss something big?
09-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes, to Prime Aficionados that lens is the antithesis of what they love about their hobby. However, for a company struggling to build market share that lens represents two VERY important things: 1) its a rebuilding of a VERY important relationship with a 3rd party lens maker, and 2) it represents a VERY attractive lens for the consumer market.

Soccer Mom with her unprotected camera on a strap without a hood (and probably with no lens cap and a cheap UV filter) buys zooms and the longer the reach the more likely it is to sell - particularly if it is smallish. A LOT more buyers like that one then like us here on PF. So, if Pentax really wants to enlarge its presence in the consumer range of dSLRs it has to offer a wider range of cameras (K-300, K-30, K-5mkII, and K-3) and it has to offer a solid range of consumer zooms (the longer the better frankly).
This is all true, though if the relationship was rebuilt, I think the lens would be available in a K mount under the Tamron brand. The Tamron lens is not just a re-badge as that lens has never been offered in a K mount. I think it's very unlikely that Pentax have added SDM to it rather than simply use the motor designed for it by Tamron. They may call it SDM because Pentax lenses have SDM, but I think it's very unlikely. $900 is a ridiculous price though. I don't understand why Tamron don't simply release it in a K mount. The only explanation is that Pentax have paid a substantial amount for the privelege because Tamron decided it wasn't worth their time/effor/money.
09-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
This is all true, though if the relationship was rebuilt, I think the lens would be available in a K mount under the Tamron brand. The Tamron lens is not just a re-badge as that lens has never been offered in a K mount. I think it's very unlikely that Pentax have added SDM to it rather than simply use the motor designed for it by Tamron. They may call it SDM because Pentax lenses have SDM, but I think it's very unlikely. $900 is a ridiculous price though. I don't understand why Tamron don't simply release it in a K mount. The only explanation is that Pentax have paid a substantial amount for the privelege because Tamron decided it wasn't worth their time/effor/money.
It may well come out from Tamron eventually. They may not have released it as a Tamron first in order to allow Pentax to add it to the rollout for their big Pentax-Ricoh splash. At the very least it means that Pentax and Tamron are talking again. This is a good start IMHO and relationships are a process not an event.

"The only explanation is that Pentax have paid a substantial amount for the privelege because Tamron decided it wasn't worth their time/effor/money." It certainly is not the only possible explanation, I can think of several rather easily that are not the one you assert.
09-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aside from the 645 lens, When are Pentax going to get serious and release some new fast primes!? Seeing this makes me glad I made the right move and switched to a FF Nikon.
09-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
get serious and release some new fast primes!...I made the right move to a FF
For your needs and preferred style of shooting, of course... FF (or MF or micro 4/3 or film) isn't the answer for everyone.
09-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Aside from the 645 lens, When are Pentax going to get serious and release some new fast primes!? Seeing this makes me glad I made the right move and switched to a FF Nikon.
+1 on this. The re-release of the FA* lenses as DFA* lenses would be great.

Dave